Siri Competitor From Google May Be Here Soon

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,498
Points 1,196,730
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2011 3:11 PM
Same song, different verse: Google is trying to keep pace with Apple by developing a similar competing product. This time, it’s a competitor to Siri, which is codenamed “Majel”, according to a pair of reports from AndroidandMe.

Ever since Apple announced Siri, the iPhone 4S’s personal digital assistant that understands normal speech, a few months ago, the digital world has been expecting a competing product from someone big. Google makes the most sense as that someone. Rumors, of course, are flying around about Majel--what exactly it is, when we’ll see it, and if it will be better than Siri.

What is certain is that Google has made some telling acquisitions, most notably speech synthesis company Phonetic Arts (about a year ago) and Clever Sense (just this week), which makes location-based “personal robot” Alfred. Further, Google has some voice-controlled applications already, though they’re not anywhere near the level of Siri, and we know from various interview quotes from Google employees that the company has been researching and developing voice functionality and artificial intelligence capabilities for a long time.

The Majel rumors portend a tool that far exceeds Siri’s capabilities, approaching the level of the Enterprise’s AI computer, but in the near future, expectations should be kept a little more subdued. According to AndroidandMe, the initial release may include only voice-controlled Google searches, with more intelligent voice-controlled phone and application actions to follow thereafter.

That initial release, by the way, apparently may come yet this year, or early next.

Of course, this is mostly speculation; Google hasn’t commented publicly on Majel. However, it would be naive to think that Google isn’t brewing something big to compete with Siri. On the one hand, it just makes good business sense. Google has to do something because Siri is a nice tool and a big selling point for Apple going forward. However, in a larger sense, voice is a developing input method, and of course Google is going to go whole-hog in developing something to take advantage of that technology.

Beyond the early Majel releas(es), we can expect to see something Siri-like with the next major Android release. It may be a revolutionary technology, or it might just be really cool, but the slow integration of actually useful voice input (and output) on smartphones and tablets is fun to watch.

(Side note: 50 bonus points to Google for the source of the name “Majel”. Majel Barrett-Roddenberry was the voice of the computer in Star Trek: The Next Generation, and she was also Gene Roddenberry’s wife.)
  • | Post Points: 185
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,363
Points 48,690
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 3:33 PM

She also played Counselor Troy's Mom, but you obviously knew that looking at the thumbnail. :)

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

The people I know with siri just shout at their phone and wait for it to not do what they want. It's humorous. Has anyone had success with it? I could care less about either one, I want to keep what little control of my phone I have left!

Shouldn't they have used Carrie Fisher to keep with the android theme?

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,797
Points 40,660
Inspector replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 4:29 PM

lol, many people just use siri to mess around with. But i like that google is working on one for the android :D.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
MHenchey replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 4:33 PM

Drake don't you mean Anthony Daniels?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,106
Points 11,190
CDeeter replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 5:53 PM

Cool. Star Trek's computer AI was one of the reasons I got into computers, and I can see why the chose that name, but would have to agree with MHenchy C3PO would be the logical choice for a Droid phone (pun intended).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

If I can get to sound like HAL then that would be sweet!. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
jeanbe21 replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 6:52 PM

Majel Barrett not only voiced the computer on The Next Generation, but on The Original Series, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise as well as the movies, even the relaunched Star Trek from a few years back. Aptly named IMO.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I prefer Peggy Bundy's voice."

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I was just thinking female from starwars!

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 7:38 PM

Yes, she played Lwaxana Troi on STTNG, but she goes all the way back to the original series playing nurse Christine Chapel, who became Doctor Chapel in the movies, and was even on the pilot as the unnamed first officer, "Number One".

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 8:46 PM

I want glados from portal. I want her to insult me all the time.

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 170
Ivan92116 replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 9:09 PM

I want it to speak like a pirate.

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 600
ajm135 replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 10:00 PM

While thats cool and all i wish google would not try to copy apple or defeat apple in this respect. Google is now being mocked because of this since they made the comment that we dont need to speak to our phones. Soooooo this is kinda of backtracking

Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 560
DDeveaux replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 11:05 PM

Hey, if Apple can do it (backtrack), then I think it's fair for Google to do it once in a while.  That said, Google has offered voice search for a while, so they've been at least partially behind the "talk to your phone" idea.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 1:34 AM

Congrats to google you guys are the best. star trek. Pro. This is really cool i have always liked the voice recognition technology. What i would like to see in voice recognition, is word document editing, completely by voice.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

Smart move by Google. We all know how Apple got a such an early start in the portable music player and tablet market that essentially no one can compete with them at the moment. Google doesn't Apple to corner yet another market.

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 558
Points 5,105

Well Google has been working on AI and robots for several years now. I actually heard about this well over a week ago and it is based on research that Google has been doing long before Apple bought Siri.

You guys should really check out the demo videos of Majel.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS