Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Now On Some American Airlines Flights

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,615
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 14 2011 3:58 PM
Like Jerry Seinfeld in the episode “The Airport”, premium-class passengers enjoy all the perks of non-coach seating; starting today on some American Airlines flights, those comforts include a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. (Meanwhile, like Elaine in the same episode, coach passengers will continue to suffer with full bladders and cramped legs.)

The Tabs replace American Airlines’ current personal entertainment devices and will include dozens of movies, TV shows, and audio selections, and will feature a UI skin designed exclusively for the airline. Beginning in 2012, more features are coming, including WiFi, games, and more.

It get even better--some of those same seats will offer flyers a pair of Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones.

If you want to enjoy these new amenities for yourself, make sure you’re on a transcontinental flight between JFK and LA, JFK and San Francisco, Miami and San Francisco, Miami and San Francisco, or Boston and LA, or an international flight to or from Europe and South America.

We assume you’ll still have to shut the Tabs down during takeoff, though. (Alec Baldwin, that includes you, buddy.)

AMERICAN AIRLINES INFLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT IS OUT OF THIS WORLD WITH SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 10.1

American is First Domestic Airline to Feature Branded Tablets for Entertainment in Premium Cabins

FORT WORTH, Texas – American Airlines customers can now have convenient access to a personal universe of movies, music and TV shows at 35,000 feet. Beginning today, customers traveling in premium class cabins will be the first to see the Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 device onboard select flights.

American is the first domestic airline to offer a branded tablet onboard its aircraft, giving premium customers access to a library of entertainment options inflight. The customized tablets, which feature a 10.1-inch screen, replace the current personal entertainment devices in American’s First and Business Class cabins on transcontinental flights between New York’s JFK and Los Angeles, JFK and San Francisco, Miami and San Francisco, and Miami and Los Angeles served with 767-200 and 767-300 aircraft; international flights to and from Europe and South America served with 767-300 aircraft; and transcontinental flights between Boston and Los Angeles served with 757 aircraft.

“We continue to move forward with our efforts to modernize the travel experience by using the innovative Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to provide inflight entertainment onboard,” said Rob Friedman, American’s Vice President – Marketing. “Today’s news is the latest in a series of investments we’ve made in our focus on product and service enhancements for our premium customers, and we know they will be delighted with the contemporary entertainment experience of the tablet.”

During the initial rollout, customers can choose from over 70 movies, including 30 new releases, with three titles exclusive to American from Paramount, as well as a variety of television programs and audio selections – all carefully chosen to cater to the diverse tastes of American’s premium cabin customers.

The tablets also feature a special touchscreen specifically designed for American that allows customers to interact with the devices in a user-friendly way. Customers can move through a custom-built experience that includes a clean and intuitive design, providing customers quick and easy access to their favorite programs throughout the flight. Additional tablet functionality and content will be rolled out over time, beginning in first quarter 2012, and will include Wi-Fi capability on equipped aircraft, games, eReader publications, and more.

“The addition of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to American’s inflight amenities illustrates the Tab’s universal appeal to a variety of customers,” said Tim Wagner, Samsung Mobile Vice President and General Manager of Enterprise Sales. “With its Android platform, ultra-slim, lightweight design, a brilliant 10-inch touchscreen and an array of entertainment options, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will provide a world-class entertainment experience for travelers onboard American Airlines.”

In addition, First and Business Class customers onboard American’s 777, 767 and select 757 aircraft can enjoy their favorite movies, music and TV shows with Bose® QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones. Offered in select markets, the headphones further elevate the premium experience for customers by fading background distractions and delivering a rich, clear audio.
  • | Post Points: 245
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

Call me crazy but I would rater have a quality IFE system in First Class then a Tablet. While the games might be better on the tab instead of the IFE system, you have to hold or put the tablet somewhere while you are using it. Thought I do like the idea of having the QC15's

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 4:28 PM

wow thats some sweet news. i want to fly to jfk now just for the hell of it. I wonder what american is doing with their prices though? the fact that wifi will be available is astounding. if internet access is available on the plain business men may never fly anyother way again. it is really fantastic what they are doing now. i want to try it.

Couldn't help ut notice that this tablet is offered by hothardware as part of thie tablet giveaway. sweet

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 4:28 PM

What is IFE? i have never heard of it and why would it be better?

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 170
Ivan92116 replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 4:31 PM

"...will feature a UI skin designed exclusively for the airline." I'm curious if this will be like the Kindle Fire in which no trace of Android is seen on the surface.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

Glad airlines are considering using new gadgets in their flight

Watch a bunch of movies during a long flight is the only way to kill time

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 180
erikiksaz replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 4:34 PM

This'll kill a lot of the downtime after being seated and when the plane gets to altitude.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:00 PM

IFE: In Flight entertainment system.

I think I would rather have a decent IFE also and have my own tablet.

That way I can easiler just stuff my tablet back in my bag and use the built in IFE device and I can take a nap without having to worry about what i'm supposed to do with the borrowed tablet.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:22 PM

I like these in the tablet space

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 70
Points 560
DDeveaux replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:56 PM

Seems like a great idea for first-class & business seats. Hopefully the rollout gets a positive response so they start adding the tablets to more flights.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 413
Points 3,190
LLeCompte replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:02 PM

First class just got a whole lot better.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

acarzt:

IFE: In Flight entertainment system.

I think I would rather have a decent IFE also and have my own tablet.

That way I can easiler just stuff my tablet back in my bag and use the built in IFE device and I can take a nap without having to worry about what i'm supposed to do with the borrowed tablet.

I much agree, but I would rater have "my" own tablet. Not one from AA

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 455

=) this is great new's, and a good idea .

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

Great use of the tablet. I hope they wash the cushioned area around the headphones. i would hate to get an ear infection :)

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 10:30 PM

Well idk when i'll be able to use those any time soon xD.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
BBenitez replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 10:34 PM

sweet now i cannot be bored in a plane

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Not sure if Id use the hedphones, but the tablet sounds like a good idea.

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 600
ajm135 replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 11:49 PM

Sounds really really expensive. I would definitely be in Elaines situation but i would just bring my own galaxy tab with all the office seasons and iron man and i wold be fine

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
ESix replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 2:02 AM

Yeah, I'd rather have my own tablet and connect to media services. But its a start in a good direction.

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 270
OmniDeus replied on Fri, Dec 16 2011 4:04 AM

so....they put a tablet that uses wireless tech--on a plane? how is the going to help Alec Baldwin out? poor timing.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS