Dell Unveils The Alienware Aurora, Calls It The Most Advanced Desktop Ever

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,187
Points 1,186,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 14 2011 11:56 AM

Dell revealed its new Alienware Aurora gaming desktop computer. This new system offers immersive HD 3D gaming and multi-display technologies. The systems feature the new 2nd generation Intel Core i7-3000 series six-core CPUs, factory overclocked and liquid cooled, with the Intel X79 Express Chipset, up to 16GB of Quad Channel DDR3 memory, and the latest SATA technology. This is Dell’s first consumer system to offer the X79 chipset. The systems also support AMD CrossFireX technology and can house two graphics cards. A variety of single and dual graphics options are available. All Aurora graphics cards use GDDR5 graphics memory. The Alienware Aurora is available on Dell.com with a starting price of $2,199.

Dell’s Alienware Aurora Delivers Extreme Gaming Performance and Experience as Game Developers Intended in Most Advanced Desktop Ever

• Brings Games to Life with Immersive HD 3D Gaming and Multi-Display Technologies
  • Helps Competitive Gamers Push the Limits of Hardcore Gaming

Competitive gamers asked for the ultimate gaming pc and Dell’s new Alienware Aurora gaming desktop computer, unveiled today, delivers. It is the company’s most advanced desktop ever delivering the extreme gaming performance and experience game developers intended for their players. With the latest technology and intelligent design, gamers can envelop themselves in the action, experience blazing fast performance and immersive graphics.

• The Aurora desktop delivers the pure, raw power that gamers crave. The systems come loaded with the new 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3000 series six-core CPUs, factory overclocked1 and liquid cooled, with the Intel X79 Express Chipset (Dell’s first consumer system to offer this chipset), Quad Channel DDR3[2] memory and the latest SATA technology.
  • Gamers can literally “see” all that power firsthand. Dual graphics cards and beyond 1080p gaming with immersive multi-display and 3D HD[3] capabilities allow gamers to experience any game at its best – as intended by the game developers.
  • And the gaming desktops are intelligently designed for unparalleled customization. In addition to raw power, an innovative chassis design and intuitive internal component layout allows for user-friendly upgrades and optimized thermal management.

Purposeful Cool Design

Designed from the inside out with performance, function and style in mind, Alienware Aurora’s chassis delivers a purposeful internal layout in a sleek, beautiful and compact form factor.

The desktop’s maintenance-free, high performance CPU Liquid Cooling replaces the standard heat sink and fan that comes with most PCs, and its Active Venting system provides additional heat dissipation during heavy gaming. This unique design increases component longevity and allows Aurora to stay nearly twice as quiet as competitors with traditional heat sink and fan layouts. Additionally, all core components inside the Aurora are purposefully compartmentalized in chambers that provide clean, clear and easy tool-less access for upgrades, maintenance or showing off.

Supporting AMD CrossFireX technology, Alienware Aurora is capable of housing two graphics cards for maximum performance and extreme graphics power. All Aurora graphics cards use GDDR5 graphics memory[2], the most advanced offering available. With Microsoft’s DirectX 11 graphics API, complex virtual worlds will come alive.

“The PC gaming industry continues to grow rapidly, and our customers are demanding systems that can keep up with the most graphic-intensive games on the market,” said Arthur Lewis, vice president, Alienware and Product Management for Consumer, Small and Medium Business. “Alienware Aurora, our most advanced gaming desktop ever, delivers an experience that will exceed the expectations of any serious gamer.”

Complete Control

All Alienware laptops and desktops come complete with the Alienware Command Center, which provides intuitive, user-friendly access to exclusive applications and controls, including AlienFX lighting effects, Thermal Controls and AlienFusion power management system. AlienFX allows users to customize the exterior lighting zones on the chassis with over 25 billion color combinations for a one-of-a-kind personalized experience. Updates and new releases download directly into Command Center, creating a constantly evolving tool for users to modify and personalize their gaming computer.

Gaming Supremacy

Alienware is recognized throughout the industry and with customers alike for performance, functionality and design. The Alienware M17x gaming laptop with Intel Sandy Bridge processors recently won Gold in the Gaming category for “The Best Products of 2011” from PC Magazine, and the Alienware M11x R3 laptop won Silver. As new technology is released, look for Alienware to continually offer the latest in PC gaming hardware, partnering with other industry leaders to deliver an optimized gaming experience.

Detailed Information:

• 2nd Generation 3000 series Intel Core i7 Six Core Processor Options
  • New Intel X79 Express Chipset with Unlocked BIOS for Overclocking[1]
  • Single and Dual Graphics Options:
    • 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870[2]
    • 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6950[2]
    • 1.25GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti[2]
    • 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580[2]
    • 3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590[2]
    • Dual 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870 - AMD CrossFireX[2]
    • Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6950 - AMD CrossFireX[2]
  • 8GB or 16GB Quad Channel 1600MHz DDR3 Memory Options[2]
  • Fast 7,200RPM Hard Drive Options up to 2TB; 256GB and 512GB SSD Options[4]
  • Single and Dual Optical Drive Options; Including Blu-ray Disc Reader and Burner
  • High Quality Audio Options:
    • Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software (Standard)
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (Optional)
    • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium (Optional)
  • System Dimensions: height: 16.77” (426mm), depth: 25.39” (645mm), width: 9.85” (250mm); weight: starting at 45lbs (20.41kg)

Availability and Pricing:

Alienware Aurora is available now on Dell.com with a starting price of $2,199.

• | Post Points: 335
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 12:59 PM

Do their bios have overclocking options?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 1:10 PM

Really cool system, but nothing beats building it yourself. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35

"New Intel X79 Express Chipset with Unlocked BIOS for Overclocking[1]"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Good to see water cooling now comes standard.

I have always liked the Alienware look.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 1:11 PM

Alienware has always had an eye-catching design and that component list is drool-worthy.

@Slugbug I'm pretty sure it depends on what bios is present on the motherboard but it being Alienware I would wager overclocking would be present, even though I'm not a betting man.

"I have the power!!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 1:13 PM

I agree with building it yourself: saves money, learn about the technology itself, and overall just a rewarding experience.

"I have the power!!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Cool looking case, it looks like the vents on the top open and close as well (sweet!). I wonder what the base model for 2,199 gets you....

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 250
vorthex replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 1:36 PM

I guess this is okay for people who dont build their own systems.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 1:40 PM

These specs are pretty awesome, and not to mention that is a bad azzzz case!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55
Roth replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 1:46 PM

oh baby... If it were me, I'd go with that GTX 590!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 3:55 PM

Looks like a good build, but I like the fun of building my own PC's too much anymore.

If I won one, that would be good for me, but if I had cash to get one, I'd be building it myself and using the money saved to make it a little better. Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 3:57 PM

The entire thing looks good as all Alienware machines are and this seem like a nice machine for a person to buy if they don't want to build their own PC's. However, building your own PC will always result in a better machine and if you just have to buy a PC then there are better choices out there. Still, it's a good PC for the price and nobody's going to be disappointed if they buy it.

Still, they've got a pretty sweet case.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 4:08 PM

False advertising! This is so not the most advanced desktop :P... HAHA. nothing much to say :P

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 4:19 PM

well you can't doo much more than that. This is a complete gaming rig. there is n other way to put it. it works its fast its cold its bitchin and sexy. dell i take my hat off to you. i would use this computer with a 40inch screen 3d graphics and just own on some noobs. good hell with this computer i could do that and hack there computers at the same time. RESPECt.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 95

want a beta tester to work out the kniks on this one ?? I would do it for free . may even pay you shipping dude hapy holidays to you all

Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 600
deadmanet replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 4:29 PM

Pretty nice rig for the price.....but, I have to agree with most of the others, I'd rather build my own and save a little cash. And have it to my specs.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:26 PM

Alienware/Dell has actually done pretty well in there singular space being a major OEM with a performance division.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 455

This actually isn't my favorite of the alien ware cases but it's what's on the inside that count's the most.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

I love the top of the case, to me it resembles shark fins :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 8:35 PM

Or build your own most advanced desktop ever for 100% control in the selection of your parts and preferences at a better price and most likely better performance!

DIY, FTW

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 261
Points 2,555

I love the look, specs, and price point. Looks promising. I wonder how much overclocking you can do on that machine.

Never stop learning... until you're dead.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Not Ranked
Posts 44
Points 550
BMAN replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 4:11 AM

By Inspector on Dec 14, 2011

" False advertising! This is so not the most advanced desktop :P... HAHA. nothing much to say :P "

I totally agree.

Alienware (before they were bought by Dell) was a fantastic boutique PC vendor; during that time, nothing compared to an Alienware PC.

Alas, that time has come and gone...If this is what Dell calls "the company’s most advanced desktop ever", then Dell has a thing (or 2) to learn, before building gaming computers.

Most people I know (that are into building their own gaming rigs) wouldn't settle for anything less than an HD6990 or GTX590 (and Crossfire/ SLI them), let alone put an AIO water cooling system to their rig.

system specs

Intel i5 3570***, ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Corsair AX850, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3, Corsair Force 3 Series GT  SSD (120GB), WD VelociRaptor (300GB), water-cooled HIS Radeon HD7950, AZZA Genesis 9000, EKWB Supremacy CQ CPU block, XSPC RX360, EKWB-DCP 4.0 pump, Windows 7 H.P. - 64 bit

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Why do I feel like I can build a better system for $2,199... I agree the case is sweet and Alienware has always pretty much had that covered.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

@omegadraco, Why do you feel like you can build a better system for the money? Because you can :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 12:33 PM

dejasoul100:
Because you can :)

There are plenty of people who can't do it. They don't know enough to make informed decisions about what to buy and where to buy the parts.

That's why people come to sites like this one though. There is plenty of experience between us regular members, and together we are a great source of information for new builders to tap.

Many folks just hang out and read a lot of what we're discussing, and learn about things. I don't like to call them Lurkers, that's a weird term for someone who is just learning, or deciding if ~we~ know what we're talking about.

I know that I'm glad to be a part of it. I really enjoy the interaction too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 325
Samar replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 1:33 PM

Super Duper..anyine got a chance to play with it yet !!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,102
Points 11,170
CDeeter replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 3:47 PM

I was one of those lurkers, and the community is what got me to join. Best bunch of geeks around :-), and glad to be one of them!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 80
Spybreak9 replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 8:03 PM

Oh man it's like a sports car that automatically puts up its rear spoiler when it goes past a certain speed lol. If money was no option, drool.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Dec 15 2011 8:18 PM

I'd like to build my own PC in THAT case. Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

realneil:

I'd like to build my own PC in THAT case. Smile

I agree with a few of the Alienware cases, i always found it a a same that they never sold them for aftermarket. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 125

Its strange to see that they do not offer the AMD 6990 as an option. I recently got an Aurora R3 computer with the 6990 all for $1278 from their outlet deal - it was a steal. Is it because the 6990 cannot be found everywhere and is sold out that they have stopped giving it as an option to configure??? Mmm....

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

The Alienware Aurora is a high-end, powerful, performance oriented gaming desktop. It's packed with tons of hardware for running even the most graphic-heavy games and applications.

Page 1 of 1 (33 items) | RSS