Samsung Sells 300 Million Handsets In 2011

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,853
Points 1,171,230
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 12 2011 2:41 PM

It's no secret that Samsung's Galaxy S line of devices has been big sellers. Now, Samsung has released figures that tell us a little more about how successful the company has been in the mobile market. This year, Samsung has sold 300 million mobile handset sales. Of course, the company's Galaxy S and Galaxy S II handsets have made a significant contribution to this milestone, though Samsung's bada smartphones have also played their part. In 2010, Samsung's handset sales were about 280 million.

Samsung Celebrates 300 Million Global Handset Sales in 2011

Samsung Seeking Mobile Leadership Through Innovative and Diverse Lineup

SEOUL, Korea – December 11, 2011 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd, a leading mobile handset provider, today announced that it has this year achieved annual mobile handset sales of 300 million units for the first time in Samsung’s history.

“We are incredibly proud of this record-breaking sales milestone and have exceeded the annual target announced early this year, which is testament to the enduring appeal of Samsung phones with consumers around the world,” said JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung's Mobile Communications Business. “Our performance in the mobile industry remains unrivalled. Samsung is the only manufacturer bringing such an exceptional choice of handsets to customers across a broad range of platforms including Android, Windows Phone and Samsung’s own bada platform — and on a truly global scale. We look forward to extending this success going into 2012.”

Samsung’s 2011 sales results cap a hugely successful year for Samsung across its entire handset portfolio. The company’s flagship GALAXY S range of products – GALAXY S and GALAXY S II – contributed significantly to the success, as the products have continued to gain popularity among consumers and propelled the GALAXY brand to one of the most recognized mobile brands in the world. The GALAXY S II, launched in 2011, set a new sales record for Samsung, generating 10 million sales quicker than any mobile device in the company’s history.

Meanwhile, Samsung’s portfolio of bada smartphones continues to gain sales momentum around the world, further boosted in 2011 with the launch of the newly upgraded bada 2.0. This year Samsung announced exciting new additions to the bada-powered Wave smartphone portfolio, including the flagship Wave 3 which is now available in Europe and continues to gain sales traction in all its launch markets.

In 2011, Samsung also pushed the boundaries of the mobile device category with product innovations such as GALAXY Note, a smart mobile device featuring the world’s first 5.3’’ HD Super AMOLED display that retains all the portability of a smartphone while introducing a unique user-interface that combines touch-screen and pen-input technologies. GALAXY Note continues to excite consumers around the world since its introduction in Europe in October.

• | Post Points: 230
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

Moto and Samsung are probably my two favorite android device makers. Nice to see Samsung moving so many units. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
upEarly replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 3:22 PM

Good to see Samsung doing so well, and even better now that it's partnered up with Google on the Galaxy Nexus. Remember the Nexus One? That was backed by HTC. How things have changed!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

I wonder how many more they would have on that tally had Verizon not been dragging their feet on the Nexus release. They all need to take a page out of Apple marketing and actually have release dates with product announcements. As an app developer with Verizon as my service I've been slightly screwed by this.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
MKlade replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 3:38 PM

that's awesome, love hearing about android successes! Imagine what these #s could be if the Nexus had been released way back in November.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
RDyne replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 4:00 PM

i'm a proud owner of a Nexus S! :) samsung is the best!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
SCJaredJ replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 4:03 PM

Samsung and I had a rocky relationship after the Behold 2 and initial Galaxy S experiences. But, after I rooted the Vibrant and put a custom rom on it, it was awesome. In fact, that phone was way better than the LG G2X i replaced it with and the MyTouch 4g Slide I currently use. I'm looking forward to see what Sammy puts out on TMO over the next couple of months so I can try it out!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 4:49 PM

S2 FTW! :P, lets see Samsung grow even bigger and make even better devices :)

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105
jst4tim replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 5:50 PM

Thats a huge number but they do make a ton of models.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 427
Points 3,290
LLeCompte replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 6:29 PM

Congrats samsung, now if we can only solve that galaxy nexus issue.....

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 325
Samar replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 8:44 PM

Really, R all those "sell" selling to actual customers or to retail stores.. LOL. Anyways, gud for Samsung and Google.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 11:18 PM

for years phone, palm pilot and tablet producers have tried to integrate the stylus approach into their touchscreen devices with varying levels of success but none have been truly successful, the idea though very practical is just not as popular as it needs to be. i will be excited to see if Samsung can break the barrier of  stylus devices.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 11:21 PM

it is true that Samsung has led the way in mobile devices this year but their success has hinged on delivering good affordable products with high quality components in a variety of forms. the competitors have either cheapened their phone or remained dormant with one option as is the case of apple. no one will truly compete with them until they branch out and encompass the market as thoroughly as Samsung has.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I sell mostly phones at my job, Samsung is my number one seller. One reason is that the phones they make are good, the other is that they make a broad range. HTC is all high end with one entry level device (with the carriers we offer). Samsung has more than one in each field and they are easy sells as TouchWiz isnt heavy at all.

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 600
ajm135 replied on Tue, Dec 13 2011 1:05 PM

i wish i was samsung right about now

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:16 AM

That's good to hear. IMO, Samsung makes quality products; and not just smartphones, but TV's, monitors and even DVD players. The amount of quality they put into these products is amazing; even the cheapest products seem to have the touch that only Samsung can bring to it. Seriously, they're that good of a company. I also like the way they design the interfaces and the amount of variety and features they put in their phones, their variety is comparable to that of HTC or even Motorola; and for that I consider them one of the best Android smartphone makers.

So yeah, keep up the good work Samsung. 300 Million handsets means that you're putting out a quality product.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS