Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet: An Android Business Slate, HH Reviewed

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,501
Points 1,196,745
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 7 2011 11:06 AM
Lenovo's first business-class Android-based tablet has arrived. The ThinkPad Tablet comes with many of the features business users want and demand from a tablet, including full encryption, remote wipe capabilities, productivity apps, VPN support, pen-based handwriting recognition technology, and more.

Running on Android 3.1, the ThinkPad Tablet comes preloaded with more than 25 free apps. Many of these apps will be useful to business users.  With the tablet's full-size USB port, full-size SD card slot, and microUSB port, transferring files to and from the tablet is easy. The ThinkPad Tablet also has a mini HDMI connector so you can connect the device to a larger display or HDTV for displaying presentations or sharing your favorite video. Using the optional ThinkPad Tablet Keyboard Folio Case, which sells for about $100, you can dock the ThinkPad Tablet and quickly type out a few emails or reports.

That's a lot of features and functionality in a tablet device but does it add up to business user nirvana?

Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet: An Android Business Slate

• | Post Points: 185
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Wed, Dec 7 2011 12:07 PM

Good review, i can see this being more useful than a iPad as of right now. The Remote wipe is a plus, and with all the different ports on the tablet, it makes it easy to bring to a meeting a plug it right up to a projector or tv.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Great review Jennifer. More are more companies are having support tablets on their networks and this device seems like it would be a good fit for most organizations. The ability to remote wipe is a huge plus considering it won't require an additional program.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Its a Good tablet, and with the added support of the Lenovo App Shop, business users should feel assured Lenovo will stand behind them, but I still feel that the Pen should be free. Edit:Excuse me, I meant, included for the price."

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

I always wanted a tablet, maybe this Christmas I'll be considering buying one *if there is a good deal*

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Dec 7 2011 7:38 PM

This is what the BlackBerry PlayBook tried to be.

I think the prime selling point is that Levono made an rugged looking tablet and included an intuitive interface that compliments Android and even included features Business all over the world would die over. A major plus is Levono's App Store, which should ensure quality apps for Levono owners all around the world.

While it may be more expensive then the PlayBook at some places; it's still what the PlayBook wanted to be.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Dec 7 2011 11:56 PM

What the makers of this tablet don't realize is just how niche of a product this is. 9/10 business men who want a tablet have one already and they are higher quality with better preformance. i doubt this tablet will take off much if at all.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Before buying this, please search the web for:

thinkpad android gps (still doesn't work for almost anybody)

thinkpad android camera focus (works for some; for others not)

thinkpad android broken micro-USB (no one knows whose is just waiting to break; lots of customers had theirs break)

These problems (and others) have been plaguing the ThinkPad, and Lenovo has been unwilling or unable to deliver a working product some three months after launch.

I am a Lenovo customer, and I've posted about these problems here:

http://thinkpadtabletforums.com/thinkpad-tablet-general-discussion/how-we-customers-can-kick-lenovo%27s-butt-into-gear-on-this-one/msg2007/#msg2007

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
SCJaredJ replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 3:57 PM

I wonder if they'll ever start publishing full programs for android...like a full MS Excel. Until that happens, I can only use a tablet to review, not really create work. But I love trying to see what new technology might help me out in my day to day life!

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 325
Samar replied on Mon, Dec 12 2011 8:24 PM

If Lenovo doesn't price it right with some unique features, it stands no chance in the Tablet galore that's been going on.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65
upEarly replied on Tue, Dec 13 2011 9:02 AM

They should work with Microsoft to get the Office suite onboard, this way they can really market to their audience--businesses. General consumers don't have a need for this kind of tablet...yet

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Looks like a solid tab. Lenovo has certainly stepped their game up. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 65
Cerf replied on Tue, Dec 13 2011 11:27 AM

Great review, but the price could be a bit friendlier...

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
MHaner replied on Tue, Dec 13 2011 10:43 PM

We got a demo unit in at work and so far we haven't been too impressed with it. If I was to hand this to one of the doctors to use they would definitely be less than pleased. I'm a huge android fan, but I don't think this tablet is the answer for enterprises yet.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Wed, Dec 14 2011 5:36 PM

Thisis a refreashing review, i have never had a girl do a tablet review before and i am impressed. It is really amazing that HotHardware did the review before the sweepstakes. (did you already know?)

This is just another showcase of the great qualities and capabilities tablets have.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS