Hard Drive Shortage Takes Toll on Built-to-Order iMacs

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Dec 3 2011 2:50 PM
If you're trying to configure an iMac system to arrive in time for the holiday season, you'll have to cap your storage at 1TB. Next day shipping is available on iMacs with a 1TB mechanical hard drive, 256GB solid state drive, or 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD from the Apple Store, but if you choose one of the 2TB HDD options, you'll have to wait 5-7 weeks for it to ship. That would put the arrival date at anywhere from the middle to end of January.

Such a long lead time isn't par for course when ordering an iMac, but apparently even Apple can't escape the ripple effects of recent flooding in Thailand. The overseas floods ravaged the hard drive industry, ultimately resulting in a shortage of HDDs, higher prices, and in cases like this, long delays, at least for home consumers.

Those in need of a workstation-class machine can order a Mac Pro from Apple with up to four 2TB hard drives and it will ship in 3-5 business days. This tells us that whatever remaining stock of 2TB hard drives Apple is sitting on, it's being set aside for business clientele.

Back in October, Apple CEO Tim Cook admitted he was "concerned" about the hard drive shortage, but also said he wasn't sure how it would affect Apple.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Not surprised they are reserving the hard drives for their high end customers but it almost would seem as if they are flipping their normal customers the bird.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 6:48 PM

All a consequence of nature and the floods in Thailand... It going to be a long time before any company makes it through really; I mean just look at how much devastation the floods caused. I detailed this a lot in prior posts relating to this subject and the main subject is how hard drives and some components from Thailand seem to make up a majority of consumer electronics.

Sure, SSD's may gain a traction because of this but it's going to be a long time before SSD's become as reliable as HDD's; and since it's not there the market for such electronics is going to be in turmoil unless Thailand manages to make a decent recovery.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 9:23 PM

That makes complete sense, I mean you would want to keep all your customers happy but if push came to shove and you had to focus on one customer the preference always tends to be those who spend the "dough" and are likely to bring back more business.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

money talks and BS walks...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 11:38 PM

Damn thats crazy... I saw a hard drive I bought for $80 on newegg up to $220 the other day.

Has the shortage of hard drives effected Apples pricing of iMac's at all, like have they adjusted the prices of their computers to compensate for the increased price in components?

(or do you think that'll happen when their current stock/supply runs out)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 7:12 AM

Yeah! Apple supporters are all loyal & they'll bare the brunt of it with hopes of less expectations than they normally would have. Good to read this article! Good to be informed!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 5

The hard drive used in the iMac is not the same hard drive used in the MacPro. It has a specific chipset to monitor heat that is the only hard drive the iMac can use. You can not just put any 3.5 SATA hard drive in the brand new 2011 iMac the way you can with the MacPro. Here are two supporting articles.

http://blog.macsales.com/10206-further-explained-apples-imac-2011-model-hard-drive-restrictions

http://www.macworld.com/article/159956/2011/05/imacharddriveupgrade.html

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 600
gloriad1 replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 11:02 AM

Yeah! It's good to see, but I don't think any of their customers will go to other brands. They seem to be a loyal lot.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS