Sharp's Ultra-Thin CMOS Camera Sensor Aims For Your Next Smartphone

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,113
Points 1,184,170
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 1 2011 9:23 PM
Every so often, we see a camera module that comes out looking so impressive, the immediate thought goes to which DSLR it'll hit next. And then, you realize it's small than a thumb-tack. Sharp has just introduced one of those, calling their newest the industry's thinnest CMOS camera module with optical image stabilization. It's designed for use with smartphones, and it's a 12.1MP, 1/3.2" module that measures just 5.47mm high. The new RJ63YC100 is intended for use in mobile devices such as smartphones. Sample shipments will begin from December 2, 2011.

The new module's thin profile has been developed in response to the demand for portable mobile devices with ever more slender designs. The module also addresses the need for embedded cameras in these devices to deliver superior image quality and camera functionality, including connectivity to AV equipment and personal computers. The optical image stabilizer in this camera module uses a lens-shift system to control the lens inside the module. Sharp's proprietary high-density packaging technology has made it possible to achieve the industry's thinnest profile in this type of camera module, which is expected to help reduce the thickness of mobile devices such as smartphones.

High-quality images can be captured in a wide variety of situations that are typically prone to blurring caused by camera shake, such as shooting under dim light conditions or shooting moving subjects. The module also supports full HD (1080p) video capture, which enables smartphone owners to take high-definition video with reduced blurring and transfer the video to an LCD TV for viewing on a large screen.

Any guesses as to which phone ends up using this guy?
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Points 1,870
imAcpufan replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 12:40 AM

It's great to see smartphones continue to get better camera sensors, I look forward to taking better shots than my current HTC Desire can produce. I mean standalone cameras are still gonna have the better lenses, but I carry my phone with me all the time, so it is useful.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 90
94_xj replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 2:35 AM

Clarity keeps going up which is nice, but will we ever get any sort of optical zoom? Just a little bit? That's what I would LOVE to see.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Very nice, the sensors keep getting smaller and higher quality. What I hope though is that they can increase the focus and click speed so there is no delay when pressing the button to getting the picture. When taking picture of kids which is what so many use their smartphone cameras for it is nearly impossible to get a clear shot. Hell sometimes it is even hard with my DSLR.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 9:35 AM

In terms of cameras, Nokia appears to have the best cameras (in their phones) by far, I mean the quality rivals that of a decent digital camera or even a DSLR... The 12MP sounds very tempting and of course, it's willing to make me forgo a DSLR for a smartphone but if the pictures from that sensor end up disappointing then I don't know what to do...

Cameras in phones have usually been disappointing, and I'm rooting for Sharp to at least come out on top with this camera sensor for smartphones.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 9:36 AM

It's good to see! This kind of tech has come along way so far, but I'm not really into sharp products & I think that I will never be.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 600

I've been thinking of doing the opposit from you in this case just to see how this tech goes. I can hardly wait for it to come out.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 11:42 AM

i wonder if this is going to be in the iPhone 5 or the next nexus?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
JHylton replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 3:37 PM

It wouldn't surprise me to see that the next generation smart phone from Apple or HTC to use a camera like this.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 75
gwguruman replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 12:46 AM

I give the Motorola Driod series a vote as a phone possibility to get it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 10:48 AM

maybe later iterations

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 600
gloriad1 replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 11:46 AM

Well it's too late, I've already bought me self a new smartphone and as far as I can see, it has not got this new tech within it.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS