MSI and NVIDIA Gear Up With HotHardware Giveaway!

This post has 226 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Congrats Cdeeter on your job as well :) Which manufacturer are you working for? Always feels good to be able to provide for yourself.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 7:36 AM

The last Fear from what I have played isn't as scary as the first. Let's not even talk about Penumbra or Amnesia: The Dark Descent *shivers down spine*

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 8:27 AM

HP

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Nice :) Must be good to have access to all those service manuals lol.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,586
Points 54,885
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 3:50 PM

THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS ENDING SOON! :D New sweeps to start NEXT WEEK TOO! WOOT!!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Gotta love the rapid contests!!!! Great work finding the sponsors for these!!

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,586
Points 54,885
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 4:15 PM

Trivia question for the entrants on this sweepstakes here.. If YOU were a winner, what would you DO with the prizes?? :D

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Dave_HH:

Trivia question for the entrants on this sweepstakes here.. If YOU were a winner, what would you DO with the prizes?? :D

"I would Get my gaming build going, got an a brand new Asus Crosshair 4 Extreme from my brother's girlfriend,( he did not want it, he's going for SB) a 875W Tough Power XT, a Asetek 570LC, and I won me a Battlefield 3 code, so I Would love to play Battlefield 3 and Skyrim in DX11 with no problems . Have not decided on the case but and I'm definitely buying the Planar 27' PX2710MW and the 1100T. So hopefully I have a chance at the card."

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 285
JOliver replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 4:49 PM

Definitely will upgrade my rig with 3D monitor and nvidia 3D vision 2 kit to play more realistic games.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 5:05 PM

If I won, I would use the video card to replace my poor HD 3870 card. If i won one of the motherboards, I'd probably use it to help my dad build his next rig! He wants a new one more than me right now :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 5:06 PM

The graphics card? I may probably use it to enhance my PC and possibly try to overclock it but I'm still cautious about the VRAM issue. In the case that I get a new PC; I'll use the PC with the 580 in it either for Folding purposes or as a new PC for my little sister.

The motherboard? Well If I win second place I'm going to choose the LGA2011 board and use the LGA2011 board in a future Ivy Bridge build with the newest graphics cards and components. The sheer power of Ivy Bridge cannot be denied and combining it with 28nm Video Cards and a high amount of RAM will give it tons of performance and sufficient future proofing for whatever comes my way in the future.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 5:13 PM

That video card would be inside my computer in less than 15 minutes! lol

If I won the motherboard though, that would be a slower build as I would need to buy everything except a case and power supply. Not that I'd let that stop me, just would take longer! :-)

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 950
Jedius replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 5:51 PM

If I won, I'd have to change my pants first before deciding what to do with the parts.

Hey, while I'm here, can someone guide me to which forum I should post in about trying to switch around some OS (one Win7 Pro on old PC, and have new copy of Win7 Home available). I'd like to get Pro on my new build (if I don't sell it), and transfer off all the files (and especially bookmarks) to my new PC. I also have a 3 GB external HDD to play with if needed. No idea where/how to start on all this though.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Jedius:
Hey, while I'm here, can someone guide me to which forum I should post in about trying to switch around some OS (one Win7 Pro on old PC, and have new copy of Win7 Home available). I'd like to get Pro on my new build (if I don't sell it), and transfer off all the files (and especially bookmarks) to my new PC. I also have a 3 GB external HDD to play with if needed. No idea where/how to start on all this though

"You can start here in the Operating Systems and Software or in Tech Support ."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 6:38 PM

Jedius:
Hey, while I'm here, can someone guide me to which forum I should post in about trying to switch around some OS (one Win7 Pro on old PC, and have new copy of Win7 Home available). I'd like to get Pro on my new build (if I don't sell it), and transfer off all the files (and especially bookmarks) to my new PC. I also have a 3 GB external HDD to play with if needed. No idea where/how to start on all this though.

Well. It's simple really.

1. Jot down a list of all the programs you want to reinstall.

2. Install Windows 7 Pro on the other HD, then insert it into your computer and copy any documents/special files from your hard drive to the new build. Alternatively you can use the external hard drive but it'd take more time and to do it efficiently you need one of 250GBs minimum and everybody knows how high hard drive prices are.

3. If you have Firefox then there are tools for you to backup your user profile; if not then it's possible you could copy all of your user profiles by going to the AppData folder/specific browser folder and then seeing if you can copy your user profile. I'm going to need what kind of browser you use in order to profligate further.

4. Reinsert the hard drive into the original computer and use that list to reinstall your apps.

5. Once your done, enjoy your new computer.

There is no specific program for copying your entire PC; I suppose you could use the Windows 7 File Transfer tool but it's somewhat complex, hell I've never managed to understand it; plus it required a data cable in order to connect these two PC's together. Manually copying files from one PC to another is the best way to go. I've done it multiple of times and everything ends out coming out okay...

Hope your transfer goes well.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator

Dave_HH:
what would you DO with the prizes?

I would do what I already am doing now. I'm collecting parts, bit by bit, as I can afford them, planning to build another gaming rig. I have some Hard drives put away, and I have a cooler too. I have some good memory put aside as well.

If I won the choice of mainboards, I'm not sure about what platform to go for. If I go with the newest LGA-2011 Intel technology it will be a longer process because of my fixed income and the greater expense. Sandy Bridge is a sure bet and I already know that it's a great performer.

If I were to win the graphics card, it would go into my best system 5 minutes after it got here. Smile (then I would be lost to normal communication with anyone for weeks)

No matter what the prize, it's a sure winner because it's MSI branded gear and we all know that they build some fine, quality PC components.

Good luck to all of you out there, and thanks HotHardware and MSI for the opportunity to win yet again,.........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Dave_HH:

Hmm that's not hard at all :P

The graphics card would go right into my current rig to replace my  8800 GTX which would get passed down to another rig... it definitely would need a bit of an overclock with such a nice card.

If I won one a motherboard which I don't think you can really even call a second prize :P I would have to take the X79 motherboard and stash it away for a month or so while I build up the cash to buy a processor :)

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 605

I would FOLD SPACE

actually, proteins

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
TYip replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 9:01 PM

Totally want that GPU!

Not Ranked
Posts 81
Points 600

Another nice givewaway, thanks HH!

Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 945

does anyone know conclusively what aircraft the picture is of ? It doesn't quite match f-22 or f-35 variants. Could be altered or moch design, but i not sure.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 950
Jedius replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 9:48 PM

Skipping #1 for a sec as I'm hoping I can just drag a couple of folders or something auto instead of writing down all my programs I want to reinstall.

2. So are you saying I can have my 1 copy of Windows7 Pro on 2 PCs at the same time? If so, then this won't be too bad at all. I was under the impression that 1 copy of Windows could only be on 1 PC at a time. That's why I bought the Windows7 Home. Will I just not get updates on one of the PCs or something?

2.part2. Assuming I am able to have Windows7 Pro on both PCs at the same time...are you saying that once I put Win7 Pro on my new PC I should then remove that Drive and hook it up to my old PC that I want to copy the files/programs/bookmarks from...then drag and drop?

2.part2a. That actually brings up another question. What am I putting Win7Pro on? The SSD, the HDD, both? Am I just drag/dropping everything else onto the HDD, or what programs/types of programs do people usually put on the SSD? I know games go there...anything else...web browser maybe/somehow?

2.part3. I think I misstated my External HDD before, I meant it's 3 TB, not 3 GB. Does this change anything?

3. I'm using Firefox not sure what version...it's the beta trial though whatever version number that is. Not sure where/how to back up my user profile.

4. The list you mention in step 1?

5. The closer I get to getting up and running, the less and less I want to try to sell it, lol. Then I definitely will enjoy it. Only problem is I have no idea when Guild Wars 2 will ever come out...I suppose I could check out Skyrim while waiting.

Should I start up a new thread in the appropriate forum for this...or continue in a private message? I don't want to derail the discussion of these awesome prizes.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

F-22, No mistaking the upside down triangle the rudders/intakes form.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 385
Jajuka replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 9:54 PM

If I got the 580, it'd go in my current system immediately! If I got a choice of the motherboards, I'm not sure what I'd choose yet. I'd love the X79 board as Ivy Bridge will be awesome, plus I'd put in 32GB of RAM and make a 24GB RAM drive! -drool- But the Z68 board is much cheaper to get running right away with a nice 2500 or 2600k and 16GB of RAM. Any of these parts would put me a good step towards my next build though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 10:18 PM

Here is an F22 Head on shot.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:50 AM

Jedius:
Skipping #1 for a sec as I'm hoping I can just drag a couple of folders or something auto instead of writing down all my programs I want to reinstall.

Well, you may not have a choice in the matter... Many programs will not function when you copy them directly; installing programs require installing registry settings, frameworks and a couple of other stuff you may not be able to do manually. There are some which will work when copied directly but I wouldn't hold my breath with it working...

Jedius:
2. So are you saying I can have my 1 copy of Windows7 Pro on 2 PCs at the same time? If so, then this won't be too bad at all. I was under the impression that 1 copy of Windows could only be on 1 PC at a time. That's why I bought the Windows7 Home. Will I just not get updates on one of the PCs or something?

Well half true... You can install it on another PC but you won't be able to use updates due to it being rendered non-genuine (as you already used up the license on your 1st install.) You're able to install it but it wouldn't be wise to do so.

What I'm talking about is installing Windows 7 Pro on the new PC, taking it out on the hard drive, setting it up in your old PC; booting up to your old Windows setup and transferring the files from here to there. It may take some work but it's safe (your new drive is the slave and the old is the master) and your files get copied regardless.

Jedius:
2.part2a. That actually brings up another question. What am I putting Win7Pro on? The SSD, the HDD, both? Am I just drag/dropping everything else onto the HDD, or what programs/types of programs do people usually put on the SSD? I know games go there...anything else...web browser maybe/somehow?

Well I assumed you were putting it on the new computer's HDD. You do have a choice in the matter; installing to an SSD will give it a speed boost but be aware that configuration is needed in order to make your hard drive the source of all your folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.). There are tons of guides that'll help you out with this one, you just have to go on Google and find the one that suits you best.

The HDD is going to be easier but you won't get the speed boost. For what you want to do, the SSD is best but it's up to you.

Jedius:
2.part3. I think I misstated my External HDD before, I meant it's 3 TB, not 3 GB. Does this change anything?

Yes, this means you can use your External HDD to transfer the files rather then doing the method I said above. Just plug in the external hard drive, copy the files you need, then plug the HDD into the other computer, transfer the files you just copied to your computer.

Jedius:
3. I'm using Firefox not sure what version...it's the beta trial though whatever version number that is. Not sure where/how to back up my user profile.

C:\Users\<user name here>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Jedius:
4. The list you mention in step 1?

Right... Usually I use notepad to jot down a list of programs I want to reinstall. It's simple, easy and once you reinstall all of the programs on your new PC you can delete the txt file you created.

Of course if you want to sell the PC then you may not want to transfer everything to the new PC but if you enjoy it so much, go ahead and transfer everything.

Jedius:
5. The closer I get to getting up and running, the less and less I want to try to sell it, lol. Then I definitely will enjoy it. Only problem is I have no idea when Guild Wars 2 will ever come out...I suppose I could check out Skyrim while waiting.

Skyrim looks epic; and if you get bored of that game, there's always Team Fortress 2 and Quake Live for you to play.

Jedius:
Should I start up a new thread in the appropriate forum for this...or continue in a private message? I don't want to derail the discussion of these awesome prizes.

Starting a thread in the appropriate forum would be more appropriate, a list of forums appear when you first visit the Forums. And don't worry, we're happy to help you out, no matter where the place is.

Now let's get back on topic... Who here thinks MSI is awesome?

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 950
Jedius replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:21 AM

Thanks man!

I do still have some more questions, but I'll start up a thread in a different forum and probably send you a message with a link if that's cool?

I think MSI is pretty awesome. It seems like a good strategy to promote their products. It can't bite into their profit margin too deeply by giving away a few of their products. The free advertising from word of mouth from most likely ecstatic winners seems like it would way more than make up for any lost profit from a giveaway promotion. If they can get more people to try their products (boards especially...I think they might have the premium GPU market cornered already, if still a bit pricey) from the generated buzz they could definitely gain some market share from their competitors. This is assuming their products are high quality and their customer service is excellent...if they aren't, they should probably target the low-price segment with good value instead...this contest leads me to believe they have great confidence in their products.

Anyway, just my random thoughts...at the very least, I think they are generating a lot of excitement with very little risk of someone badmouthing them when they are getting these prizes for free.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:08 PM

If I won the graphics card it would go straight into my NVIDIA-based rig that my girlfriend uses and I would compare the past benchmarks with the new card. If I won a new motherboard I would promptly go to Newegg to purchase a case since I already have a bunch of components towards my 1st build.

"I have the power!!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:11 PM

Please do a good forum would be the tech support forum :) Lot's of great members follow that forum and can assist further when needed.

MSI certainly has nothing to lose by offering these prizes up but its thanks to the hard work of the HotHardware folks (Dave, Marco) for working with manufacturers to get these prizes. Very excited for the potential of using MSI products as I have not had the opportunity to use them in the past.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
EPalmer replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:27 PM

Another great giveaway for awesome companies... ThnX to all

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
Hatetank replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:59 PM

Awesome giveaway guys, thanx for the oppurtunity!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 2:00 PM

Jedius:
This is assuming their products are high quality

Yeah, they really are high quality parts.

Jedius:
this contest leads me to believe they have great confidence in their products

As they should. They have been among the top tier PC component manufacturers for a very long time.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,381
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Sat, Dec 10 2011 4:11 PM

Jedius:
This is assuming their products are high quality

***  no doubt about it   built some PC 5+ years ago with MSI  mainboards and still running great

Jedius:
this contest leads me to believe they have great confidence in their products

*** many users feel the same way  ! some folks have actually heard that if you put all the mainboards from MSI end to end

they would reach from here to the moon...

Note :: not sure of exactly where you live but close enough to get to moon....  heck you could walk on them all the way there .

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

MSI has been making great products for some time now. This would be a nice start to a LGA2011 socket for someone lucky enough to win it. 

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 960

Yes! That's right
this prize will brighten any geek in no time lol Cool

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

If I were to win I would definitely swap out the 8800GTX I am currently running 1st.

If I won the motherboard I would build me a Sandy Bridge or Patsburg rig!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 12:49 AM

Been reading up on the X79 board's specs and have to say that it is really an amazing bit of design by MSI.

I want this board.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
drako1000 replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 11:39 AM

Love the MSI Lightning series, epic overclockers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 11:41 AM

Now that i have some more experience with this type of equipment i can tstify that these are phenomonal components that any gamer would be grateful to have. i know because everytime i view this thread i salivate. this is truly a wonderful giveaway fr hothardware to do. Hats off to you.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Sun, Dec 11 2011 3:56 PM

Love the color scheme and heat sink designs on these motherboards, makes them look as cool as they run! Used to be motherboards were nothing special to look at, but nowadays a lot of thought goes into looks as well as function. Happy days for us indeed!

Page 4 of 6 (227 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS