MSI and NVIDIA Gear Up With HotHardware Giveaway!

This post has 226 Replies | 13 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 100
RAsh replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 7:14 AM

winning the grand prize would push me into finally getting a new rig

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 7:56 AM

Wow this one sure has everyone's attention :-), already over 40 posts. Could it be the killer prizes? Hell yeah! That X79 board is hot off the presses and seriously cool, and I don't know anyone who couldn't use a 580GTX. Plus they are all from MSI, a company known for great design. What's not to love?

Thanks HotHardware and MSI!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Welcome glad to have you aboard :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 8:50 AM

Sweet, If everybody contributes as I think they would, then it'd be a new era at HotHardware! (The "Longest thread challenge" has posts from people in the earliest incarnation of the forums, funny how a longest thread challange can be treated as something of historical significance. Not saying it doesn't have a purpose, just that it has historical significance.)

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 9:01 AM

I don't know if this will be a longest thread though Taylor as this contest is only a week long. Now thats not that it could not it just does not seem to be to me at least. However as you said the longest thread challenge post has been there for quite some time with no reason for existence at least any more than that historical fact you mention really.

Anyway any piece of hardware on this giveaway would be awesome whether it be a board for a new build or that most beautiful GPU which I know I could really use as I am sure most everyone could!

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 9:49 AM

No good for me at all! I'm not a facebook man & never will be...No

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 9:55 AM

There are quite a lot of places now a days, that force you to join facebook to get any give aways.No One is that fruit cake Toms Hardware site.Angry They always say things like you can get a free download of a anti-spyware or anti-virus program or something other that is fairly dirt cheap.No At least though, Hot Hardware has something worth while to go for, infact all those products that you have advertised as being give aways are all just so fine.Cool

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 10:02 AM

You're just so right! TaylorKarras, just so right!Cool

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 600
gloriad1 replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 10:11 AM

Well I have to agree with you again, I'm not a fan of these types of sites at all.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70
tzaar0723 replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 11:07 AM

Awesome, that's some really great MSI gear you're giving away!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 11:17 AM

JChang:
BUT IM IN NOW... I THINK...

Yes, you're in. Try to post in lower case letters now so people don't think that you're shouting at them. Welcome to the site too.

Dave, Marco, all I can say is wow!

Any one of these prizes would be great to have. This is probably my only chance at moving to a newer platform considering the finances.

So thanks for the way you're breaking it down like this.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,070
Points 37,985
acarzt replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 11:21 AM

That GTX580 sure would be nice :-P

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 11:45 AM

I could really use any (or all!) of these to update my primary game PC. I suppose I could have bought it myself, but after much persuasion, I finally talked my wife into buying that new dress that looks so good on her. Sigh. It's not reasonable to spend more money on myself right now, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 339
Points 4,450
slugbug replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 12:07 PM

Don't you wish Intel sponsored more giveaways so we could have a CPU to go along with that X79 board  Smile

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 1:06 PM

Now that'd be something! Yes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

sweet!!! This is going to be another fantastic give away from HH

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 310
Jheck1 replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 4:35 PM

Intel is allowing you to buy an i7-2700K for $80-$100...if you work for a tech retailer like Best Buy, etc.  Find a buddy who works at one of these places, have them sign up, offer to do the quizzes for him/her and pick one up :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 5:03 PM

Maybe that's next! lol Don't matter to me, I'd be happy no matter what if I win!

Not Ranked
Posts 73
Points 800

More fantastic giveaways! Thanks hothardware. Super giveaway that could get me started on a new build, haven't upgraded in over 5 years now. I need a new rig for Diablo 3, The Secret World, (I'd buy BF3 for PC too, currently own it on 360). Either of these prizes would get me to spend money on a whole new rig setup. Good luck to everyone.

PS: My birthday is on Dec. 11th, what a good late birthday present :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Holy cow you guys have been busy!!!! Awesome prize, those msi products will rock someone's system! Thanks again Dave, Marco, the hhware team, and all of the sponsors for making these contests possible!!

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 14,240
Manduh replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 7:29 PM

I'm not entering, but wanted to feel included in the conversation LoL!

Dave and Marco, you guys ROK! Thanks for working so hard to gather sponsors for all your amazing giveaways!! Hopefully everyone entering will work just as hard to keep the sponsors coming back!!! Thanks again :D

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 10:03 PM

Nice, when those tablets coming up? :P lol

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 9:48 AM

So what does that MSI card bring to the table? Quite a lot! From Newegg:

The new member of MSI Lightning Series family, the N580GTX Lightning is tailor-made for extreme overclocking. MSI introduces the unique Power4 Architecture to provide the most powerful and stable power for the N580GTX Lightning, thus leading to significantly increased overclocking potential. The N580GTX Lightning is also rich in exclusive features, including the new Twin Frozr III dual-fan cooling with innovative Propeller Blade technology, Triple Overvoltage through MSI’s Afterburner software and top-quality Military Class II components. MSI N580GTX Lightning is designed to offer the ultimate in overclocking capabilities and is the superior choice for overclocking enthusiasts seeking to set new world records!

MSI Power4 Architecture for Overclocking Reliability The N580GTX Lightning inherits the impressive Power4 architecture from previous Lightning series cards along with improved components and design in four areas. Besides the 16 phase PWM design, the PWM module is twice as large as before and provides double the amount of current to the GPU. Memory has its own independent power supply using an 8-pin connector for minimum interference to greatly increase overclocking potential. The next-generation Proadlizer capacitor (*4) increases signal stability by leaps and bounds while CopperMOS, with 2x high current capacity, provides the GPU with a large and stable power supply. Combined, these features provide extreme overclocking enthusiasts with a more stable operating environment and the best performance out there.

Twin Frozr III and Propeller Blade Technology for Supreme Cooling The all new Twin Frozr III cooling design utilizes the innovative Propeller Blade technology to create 20% more airflow compared to conventional fan blades. The airflow also covers a large surface to remove heat quickly and effectively, and coupled with nickel-plated copper base, twin 9cm PWM fans, SuperPipe technology, and the form-in-one heatsink, the result is 21°C cooler and 5.5dB quieter than the reference design under full loads.

GPU/Memory/PLL(VDDCI) Triple Overvoltage The MSI N580GTX Lightning comes with MSI's exclusive Afterburner overclocking utility, which not only adjusts GPU and memory clock but also manage the GPU/Memory/PLL(VDDCI) voltages to maximize overclocking potential. Thanks to Triple Overvoltage, the overclocking capability of the N580GTX Lightning can be boosted 24% up when compared with the reference board.

Extreme Overclocking Functions For hardware enthusiasts, the MSI N580GTX Lightning graphic card comes with exclusive extreme overclocking features. Apart from V-Check Points and V-Switch for monitoring and adjusting the GPU/Memory/PLL(VDDCI) voltages in real time, Dual Bios and XtremeCool switches help to effectively prevent potential problems stemming from liquid nitrogen cooling. PWM Clock Tuner also helps to increase overclocking potential. All these functions come together to make the N580GTX Lightning the ultimate graphic card for extreme overclocking.

Top Quality Military Class II Components The MSI N580GTX Lightning graphic card uses top-quality Military Class II components including All Solid Cap for overclocking and full-speed operation, SFC for 10% higher efficiency, and 30% increase in maximum current, as well as Hi-c Cap with Tantalum core which boasts 8 times the lifetime of conventional solid capacitors. These high-quality components not only increase the graphic cards' overall service life but also enhance GPU stability.

LPL (Lightning Power Layer) Independent circuit design for GPU, memory and power layer decreases noise between different signals to ensure extreme power stability.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 11:26 AM

Well of course it's powerful; everything about this card that could of been known has already been learned. I mean I already know that this card can be possibly overclocked to 1GHz, that they released a 3GB version of this card and that this card is an overclockers dream.

It would be someones crown jewel to anybody who ever wins this.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 11:35 AM

CDeeter:
Quite a lot!

Ha-Ha!

Yes, that's a lot of reading, but it is a really nice card and would really invigorate one's gaming experiences, I'm sure.

(in redneck circles they'd say that it's really pissed-off)

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

In the North East I would have to hear it referred to as Wicked! lol. Hardware is fun :)

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 285
JOliver replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 5:42 PM

Ready to win.Thanks for this xtreme giveaway.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 10:49 PM

omegadraco:
In the North East I would have to hear it referred to as Wicked! lol. Hardware is fun :)

The language differentiations ~could~ be accountable to the Pissed-Off Moonshine floating around these parts,..............

(Mark Twain)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 12:11 AM

That's too awesome, sounds to me like this year Santa's working under the alias of H.H. ;) 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

nice giveaway... count me in

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Points 1,390
detnight replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 12:45 AM

I have a lot video editing to do so I need to upgrade my computer and pass the parts down to my wifes. Plus with Battle Field 3 out I got bad guys to kill.

Asus M4A79T deluxe,AMD Athlon II X4 620,PNY GTX285 1gb,Patriot Viper DDR3 1333 8gb,Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro,Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Comb,Plextor DVD-CD burner,Patriot PS-100 SSD 32gb ,WD 500gb 32mg,Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower,Antec True Power Quattro 1000watts,Toshiba 40in 1080p for a monitor

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 12:58 AM

*drool* The specifications for the X79A on the MSI site are staggering; 64GB of RAM maximum blows my mind and the Z68A is no slouch either. The graphics card is rated pretty highly and I can't wait to see the builds from these.

"I have the power!!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 2:23 AM

I agree, the motherboards are especially good. The fact that you get a sweet prize whether or not you win first place is especially sweet; makes this contest all the more juicer.

Your right when the graphics card is rated high but I think that the XE is rated higher, what with it's 3GB memory and it's cooler that changes from blue to white when heated. Still, the Lightning is nice and it's still hella powerful.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 6:53 AM

Since I seen this same give away article up again, I thought that I'd post another post up.Yes Anyway you can't go past these give aways.Yes I'd expect a whole lot more people joining Hot Hardware just to get these goodies.Cool

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Hot hot hot and only 8 more days to participate :) Lightning never strikes twice or does it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,071
Points 10,850
CDeeter replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 11:32 AM

Don't know about twice, but when it does, it strikes hard and fast. lol Like this contest!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator

TaylorKarras:
The fact that you get a sweet prize whether or not you win first place is especially sweet; makes this contest all the more juicer.

I like it when they give away premium parts. They'll get to brighten more people's day because there are more prizes to award.

64GB of RAM on one Mainboard is impressive. Buying that many 8GB RAM sticks to populate it would be terrifically expensive too. (but I'm willing to try)

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 2:54 PM

hahaha HH you make my day awesome. One giveaway seriously just ended. But I'm all for your giveaways! Thanks a bunch!

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 950
Jedius replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 3:56 PM

What exactly constitutes a "quality" post? Does it have to be in a specific forum/article, or can it be in anything that peaks your interest?

Also, are you the guys who would send the announcement of the winners in an email, or does that come from MSI/NVIDIA? I ask because I only allowed notifications from this site, not its partners. Do I need to change that?

Thanks,

-Jed

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

realneil:

I like it when they give away premium parts. They'll get to brighten more people's day because there are more prizes to award.

64GB of RAM on one Mainboard is impressive. Buying that many 8GB RAM sticks to populate it would be terrifically expensive too. (but I'm willing to try)

"Good Luck Neil. I know that you can accomplish that. or at least 32GB of Quad 'Spankin' 2133 Memory ."

Page 2 of 6 (227 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS