This Is Why They Call It “Black Friday”

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,492
Points 1,196,595
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 25 2011 3:11 PM
In a show of the very best of humanity, a Black Friday scene at a California Walmart devolved from ordinary sale-mongering to physical altercation to pepper spray attack.

According to the L.A. Times, a shopper hell-bent on acquiring some deeply discounted merchandise let loose with pepper spray, which wafted throughout the store, stinging the eyes and throats of holiday shoppers throughout. One eyewitness reported seeing about eight customers that apparently bore the brunt of the pepper spray being attended to at the front of the store.

(In the pepper sprayer’s defense, he or she may have been in the process of being mauled by one or more shoppers. We don’t know, because he or she was never identified or apprehended.)

The pepper spray capped off a series of unfortunate events. According to witnesses the Times interviewed, shoppers tore down a video game display minutes after they were allowed to access it and then overran employees trying to keep them from trampling the merchandise. There was also a shoving-and-shouting match among those in line for Xboxes and Wii consoles. One customer noted that every aisle was full, which had to have violated some kind of fire code.

The above begs the question: haven’t these folks heard of Cyber Monday?

Happy Black Friday, everyone!
  • | Post Points: 305
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 418
Points 5,330
FreeJet replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 4:06 PM

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Incidents such as these are sad and shameful for the world-view of our country. Just 24 hours after we are supposed to give thanks and show compassion for those in need, all of this comes to surface from the Capitalist mania the public is worked into by Big Business. I wrote an article about the true meaning behind our holiday and a warning about our national disgrace which is Black Friday at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2010/11/wishing-you-and-yours-bountiful-harvest.html

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

My spin is that isolated incidents were isolated. I'd be willing to bet nothing like this happened at any stores where i live.

Not Ranked
Posts 73
Points 800

I have never participated in black friday nor will I ever..cyber monday is ok though. Black friday is just retailers getting rid of their old models/stock so they can bring in new and better models.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 8:54 PM

it should be named Death friday instead. Its amazing how crazy people get over saving money.

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 425
MCook replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 9:36 PM

People were also shot and robbed in North Carolina, South Carolina and the East SF Bay Area. In addition, when a Walmart store in Manhattan wasn't going to open at Midnight like the other stores, some people got mad, broke in and stole a bunch of clothes.  As far as our area goes (Ukiah, Mendocino County in Northwestern California), I haven't heard of any incidents.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 9:54 PM

People should just shop online!

Check this article out... "Black Friday brawls, brutality captured on social media"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2011/11/black-friday-brawling-brutality-captured-on-social-media.html

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 11:23 PM

Yes; Manduh that is right, now at 12:01 AM Sunday night is where they should be shopping, there is no mauling, in fact no physical altercations at all. Plus you generally get much better deals than in any brick and mortar at all!

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

people are stupid but, companies are smart what a better way to get rig of older stock and get back into the "black" instead of the red then to commercialize a day or two when people think they are getting big deals but all they are getting is a product at cost.....

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,651
Points 55,390
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 11:34 PM

Pretty pathetic display for humanity in general here... sad really.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,796
Points 40,655
Inspector replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 11:40 PM

... wow, just to grab them self something they pepper spray others. This is sick and can't believe they didn't catch him/her. And the ones getting sprayed... dam they must want something badly :(

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

That's why I shop online.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 8:39 AM

I saw this in the news in LA. While it's understandable that people are desperate enough to break society's rules; it's still a pretty pathetic show overall.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 74
Points 815

If the CBC video doesn't work, here is another video.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/11/26/endo-walmart-pepper-spray.cnn

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,839
Points 45,835
rapid1 replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 10:19 AM

That is true Dave it is a pretty pathetic display but really not something I would not expect to see. Last year if I remember correctly a couple people were trampled to death in New Jersey or something if I am remembering right. If you look at it in that aspect a bit of pepper spray is light compared to being trampled to death! I have never really done the Black Friday thing personally from what I have seen the sales are generally on items about to be discontinued or discounted further down than they are at the black Friday sales within 30 days. So it is pointless to me I do all my shopping mainly online anyways personally where I can generally get deals any day in all reality!

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 10:47 AM

WTF... The incidents are isolated but I found it interesting that the media in my area did a study on prices and determined that the prices are generally better 2 weeks after black Friday. The 4th quarter earnings are extremely important for retailers but is it really worth hurting other people. I have participated in black Friday before and have been run over by people behind us trying to get computers are a low cost. The guy behind me was talking so nicely that hopefully everyone goes in calmly and was the first one to push and shove. Luckily the Walmart by me always hires local cops to run the doors and he was the first person to get stopped and did not get his item anyways. NO one NEEDS these items so badly that they should hurt others for them. Video games, electronics, and toys should never be a life or death situation. Maybe they should just donate their money to a local food shelter and tell their kids too bad about toys other people need food...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

That is crazy! I actually did Walmart in phoenix. They had 5 cop cars there because there had been a bomb threat at one of the walmarts in the area. The same thing happened to this one the first people ripped the Xbox display to the ground. We came back with hall pass and a coffee pot. We were just killing time I could care less about saving a dollar on old games and movies!

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 123
Points 910

No surprise here. Even in the midst of a recession, people are still fighting and demeaning themselves for material goods. It's not worth my dignity, in my opinion, to act like an animal, camp out all night (risking illness) just to get a few dollars off something I may not (or may) need.

Besides, I did an unofficial study two years ago, and found out that the prices offered on days like 'black friday' and 'boxing day' are not much different from those in the weeks leading up to and after said dates. So wait out the rush (or shop online before) if you are one who shops around that time.

EDIT: Thankfully I didn't hear of any deaths, unlike last year when some store workers (I think Walmart) were trampled to death by crazed shoppers.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 3:13 PM

Well you never know! Maybe it was one of their staff that done the spraying & that is why no one had caught it on the stores security cameras. After several incidents the staff may of got angry & decided to get to the root of things.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 7:00 PM

I just heard on the radio the woman who did the spraying has come forward and as of now, no charges laid until they investigate further.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 600
gloriad1 replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 12:10 PM

Maybe gazd1, the store employees thought about it and prefered not to help the customers out since they gave the employees a hard time also.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 2:57 PM

Even some of the parking lots can be scary during the Holiday season.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 12:11 AM

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 1:53 PM

Wow this is dumb. I went to black friday and it was very organized and there was security everywhere. This was at wal-mart!

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS