George Clooney, Noah Wyle Vie for Steve Jobs Role in Upcoming Movie

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,595
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Nov 19 2011 12:12 PM
The man who once stared at goats, George Clooney, is now looking at a possible role depicting the late Steve Jobs in an upcoming biographical film chronicling the Apple co-founder's life up until his untimely death at the age of 56. As you can probably imagine, this is a coveted role, and Clooney isn't the only one in the running.

According to a report in the U.K.'s Now Magazine, Noah Wyle, a former co-star of Clooney's on ER, is also in the discussion to play Steve Jobs. The biopic would begin filming next year, which means nailing down a cast would have to take place sooner than later.

Of course, this could all be a bunch of hogwash, but if the role really is down to Clooney and Wyle, would you be happy with either one? Clooney's arguably the bigger name and we can't argue has range, having played everything from a vampire slayer (From Dusk Till Dawn) to a hillbilly musician/outlaw of sorts (O Brother, Where Art Thou?). And he's certainly capable of exuding the kind of smugness that would be needed to play Steve Jobs. 

Noah Wyle isn't as experienced overall, however he did once play the part of Steve Jobs in the TV biography Pirates of Silicon Valley, which may or may not work in his favor (see embedded trailer above).

Who do you think would be an ideal candidate to play Steve Jobs on the silver screen?
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Hahaha, nice thumbnail, but Clooney doesn't resemble Steve one bit. Aaron Eckhart is the perfect candidate. Just look at the bio pic at IMDB, he has a striking resemblance to Mr Jobs. "

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001173/

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:17 PM

I am so going to be watching this. Don't care for who plays the role as long as they make it worthy enough for the viewers :D

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

I found a youtube video of Noah Wyle and Steve jobs hand picked him to impersonate Jobs on stage at an Apple event.

After watching the video he does a good job and the video was from 1999 so Noah should be a more polished actor this go around. I just hope who ever is chosen really gets into character and is passionate about the role.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 4:54 PM

Both look like capable actors. George Clooney definitely has the voice but Noah Wyle has the looks, I mean have you seen him in that Pirates of Silicon Valley movie?

Of course, both can't capture an accurate impression of Steve Jobs, even that Aaron guy that Optimus quoted. But we'll see how good of a job they've done once the Steve Jobs movie comes out.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Sun, Nov 20 2011 10:44 AM

I think Noah would be much better for the part, if they are only choosing between those two actors. He did a pretty good job in Pirates of Silicon Valley

If they went with Clooney, I'd have a hard time getting past who he is in real life.  For biography type movies, I find it harder to connect with the character if it's a huge movie star playing the part.  I might even feel the same way about Noah, even though he's not as big of a star, but because I was an E.R. fanatic and know of him from there. I loved his role on the show.

Oh and here's the vid ThunderBird is talking about:

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
UFishfry replied on Sun, Nov 20 2011 10:32 PM

Justin somebody, the guy who used to play the Mac in the "I'm a Mac" ads.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
AMoore replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 3:10 AM

Going with the ER theme, wouldn't Anthony Edwards be the more spot on choice ?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,631
Points 55,235
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 9:16 AM

Hmm... he might be an ER theme favorite but Noah is such a look-a-like that it's hard not to go with him and he has experience in the role.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
maruawe replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 9:48 AM

God not George Clooney ------- Cancel the production rather than him play this role

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"After looking at other candidates and looking at other related articles from different site, I think that the best choice, unarguably would be Ashton Kutcher. Just look at the pics below, uncanny resemblance, and Ashton definitely has the charisma to portray Steve."

Credit: http://dailypicksandflicks.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 10:47 AM

The movie will be interesting.

I'm halfway through the "Steve Jobs" book, and I have conflicting emotions about this guy. While he was a real mover, shaker with unique ideas, his methods so far are 'prickly' at best.

His ways of dealing with people that worked for him were outrageous at times. The picture that the book is painting of his methods and personality isn't so flattering. I wouldn't want to be remembered like that.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 1:08 PM

Maybe he was a big E.R. fan too and might have picked George or Noah when asked who he'd want to play him in a movie.

I think everyone has thought about that at one point or another. I have, but I'm still undecided Confused lol

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 12:38 AM

Apparently the show "extra" just said this is all just a rumor. Is the movie itself a rumor as well I wonder?

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Sat, Dec 3 2011 2:28 AM

I think the real thing to consider here, is which male actor's career do we wish to see take a nosedive really fast, cuz that's what would happen if this were to come to fruition.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 11:09 AM

Optimus, I'm with you on A+K its too bad he can't act. Noah Wylie did a good job in Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS