Looking to buy a new LED monitor

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 85
Points 1,520
TVFREAKAZOID Posted: Sat, Nov 19 2011 4:12 AM

Hey yall! I'm in the market to buy a new LED monitor.  At least 27inches.  I don't own or haven't own one and this will be my first. I'm looking to play games, watch hi def movies, tv shows and what not. Possibly having HDMI and other goodies.

My brother has a 27inch lcd monitor and i have to say i really want one in that size.

Any particular brands that are good? Not looking to spend a lot for one. I'm hoping a there are good deals coming up soon. Not sure how much LED 27inch monitors go for but my guess some where $300 to $500.

I'm also looking to upgrade my pc but i decided to wait for the newer gen of cpus. So, i'm wondering is there anything new coming out for monitors in the next few months? Meaning should i wait or just buy one now?

Thanks,

Iaimtomisbehave!

Win 8.1 Pro

MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower

Patriot Viper 8gb @2400 MHz

Intel I5-3570*** LGA 1155

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Crucial M500 240gb

Asus Radeon 270x

Antec 850W HCG

Logitech MX 3000 & MX1000

RW DVD/CD

Provided by Blue Sun Corporation

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 11:10 AM

I have an ASUS 27" screen and it's a gas.

There will be a load of exceptional deals coming up next week on Black Friday. Take the week to pick out what you want and then, Thursday night at midnight, start your online shopping!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I recommend to be on the look out for the PLANAR PX2710MW , 2ms response time, HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs, and best of all, actual customer satifaction is high, they talk about how crisp, sharp and vivid it is, plus 2ms response time is a plus for gaming. Check out the model here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016155 and click on the feedback tab. Its priced over $300, bu the thing is , that it always dips to under $239 at Dell.Com , so be on the look out for that next week for black friday as well as other monitor deals."

"@neil, i was going to say the same thing , since I knew you have a 27" Asus monitor, I forgot the model? What it is?"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

TVFREAKAZOID:
I'm also looking to upgrade my pc but i decided to wait for the newer gen of cpus. So, i'm wondering is there anything new coming out for monitors in the next few months? Meaning should i wait or just buy one now?

"Next year, the push and trend is going to be towards Amoled technology http://hothardware.com/News/DuPont-May-Play-Leading-Role-In-Your-Next-AMOLED-Display/ , but for now, the trend is 3D monitors, like the recent Asus VG278H http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-3D-Vision-2-and-The-Asus-VG278-LCD/ . I wouldn't wait, there too many good monitors out there at good price point, and when ever a new type of technology and models come out, they tend to be on the expensive side."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 5:08 PM

Second question in one day... Well; I'd advise against a 27 inch as it stretches the image, a true 27-inch monitor would have a resolution of 2560x1440... Of course, if you want one; Optimus already reccomended the Planar model, in terms of 3D monitors; the Planar SA2311W is the best monitor for the money at this moment. I mean it has the latest Samsung panel, it has really good colors for a TN panel and most of all, it has barely any crosstalk whatsoever. Of course, you can wait for an AMOLED monitor to be announched but the article linked say it may happen, it's not certainly going to happen but it may happen. OLED monitors currently have a cost problem and a burn-in problem; the problem being that if you leave your OLED on a still image then it's going to burn-in very quick, leaving OLED monitors unsuitable for a consumer audience at this point... Don't get me wrong, OLED have potential seeing as how they're the only future screen technology aside from the canceled FED screen and the mini-CRT screen which never made it to production but they still have work to be done if they want to be stable enough for the consumer market.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 85
Points 1,520

Ok that i didn't know it stretches the image. Other than the planer which i will look into, what size do you suggest? The reason i wanted the 27inch is it's a nice size. When i compare it to the 24inch i rather go bigger Big Smile.

The hell with waiting for AMOLED if i can one that's a good deal i'm going to take.

Win 8.1 Pro

MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower

Crucial M500 240gb

Asus Radeon 270x

Antec 850W HCG

RW DVD/CD

Not Ranked
Posts 85
Points 1,520

what do you guys think of LG monitors?

Win 8.1 Pro

MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower

Crucial M500 240gb

Asus Radeon 270x

Antec 850W HCG

RW DVD/CD

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"The 27 Inch monitor will not stretch the image, what he means is that, the image will be bigger, to accommodate the larger screen size, but the image will stay the same in terms of aspect ratio and will not be distorted. "

"Here's an example, in exhibit A, we have two monitors, same model , different size. For example, the monitor on the left is 24" and the on the right, is 27", notice that the image maintains the same aspect ratio as on the left, the only thing that changes is the size, because its obvious , a bigger screen. He is right that the ideal screen resolution for a 27inc PC monitor should be 2560x1440, it's more natural, but those monitors are best for professional use and are too expensive."

Exhibit A:

"Now take a look at Exhibit B, when he said a that a 27" will stretches the image,I'm sure you thought of this:

"Thats not the case at all. For example, the image on the left is the proper image ratio, on the right is the image stretched, that is not what is going to happen."

" A question, what monitor does your brother have? You saw for yourself how eye pleasing that was and you liked the size."

"Last but not least, the LG monitor that you linked, the LG IPS236V-PN, I have not seen any reviews , so I can't give you an opinion, but its looks like it can be a good candidate, also keeping up with 23 Inchers, there is also a new monitor from AOC called the Aire Pro monitor (i2353Ph), no reviews that I've seen yet, but its also IPS and has two HDMI inputs, something to also look for."

http://hothardware.com/News/AOC-Introduces-UltraSlim-Aire-Pro-Monitor/

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 7:00 PM

What he's showing is not exactly true, as promotional images does not necessarily equal the real thing... Look at the image created below using the sizes from Planar's monitors.

Link to full version here...

While it may not exactly make sense, as you go bigger; the screen has to go bigger as well to fit the size of the screen (you can't have all black corners around you can you?) and pixels is not exactly equal to inches... I mean sure, 1080p was designed to go bigger but with any resolution, you lose something in the process; and that something is detail... I mean why do you think 50 inch TV's have a sharpening function that compensates for any lost detail caused by scaling?

Optimus does have somewhat of a point when the aspect ratio remains the same but the aspect ratio has nothing to do with how the image is scaled. I mean look at a 4:3 TV, it's resolution is 640x480... What does it do to fit the bigger size TV's, it scales (well technically expands but whatever.) and scaling causes some loss of detail... Pixels and inches aren't exactly the same, what'll come out a normal in a computer will come out odd on a piece of paper... He may be right in the fact that it may not scale and he might of seen a 27-inch screen in person but do be aware that image processing (which is what the retail stores use to make their LCD's look eye-popping to the consumer) can make an image look unnaturally good, it's when you calibrate the thing when it's possible faults or high points start to come out.

Again, I'm not against a 27-inch screen, I'm just saying that a 27-inch screen with a 1920x1080 resolution will look unnatural from a computer perspective. 2560x1440 is what these 27-inches (and possibly 30-inch if a company were to make a 1920x1080 screen with that resolution) should aim for instead of 1920x1080 which in my opinion should be confined to 24" and lower.

Also LG makes somewhat good TN monitors but IPS monitors are a bit questionable. I've read from most people on various forums that their IPS panels are mostly junk... I tend to think somewhat otherwise but do do some research on forums such as HardForum, they have tons of knowledgeable people on monitors of all types... If you want my recommendation, something like the Dell or a Planar that Optimus recommended should be a good fit for you.

Not Ranked
Posts 85
Points 1,520

Yea right. 1080p is so far the highest resolution that tv shows and movies offer at this moment.  I wonder why they didn't make it fit for the right size?

Win 8.1 Pro

MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower

Crucial M500 240gb

Asus Radeon 270x

Antec 850W HCG

RW DVD/CD

Not Ranked
Posts 85
Points 1,520

Wow thanks for the examples here. I can tell how more clearer the picture is on the left side.

My bro has an asus. Not sure which model.

By the way transformer the movies sucked really big time!Stick out tongue The cartoon movie version was way better if you ask me lol.

Win 8.1 Pro

MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower

Crucial M500 240gb

Asus Radeon 270x

Antec 850W HCG

RW DVD/CD

Not Ranked
Posts 85
Points 1,520

what are you thoughts on samsung monitors?

Win 8.1 Pro

MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower

Crucial M500 240gb

Asus Radeon 270x

Antec 850W HCG

RW DVD/CD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 6:54 PM

TVFREAKAZOID:

what are you thoughts on samsung monitors?

I have a Samsung monitor and it's passable... However, the monitor quality varies... I heard that some of their higher-end monitors were highly recieved, as well as the 2333T, which is a C-PVA monitor and offers supposedly better contrast and black levels at the cost of a delayed response time 8ms...

Samsung is a good brand though, you should look around to see what monitor suits you best though.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"If you are still following, HH just posted the deal for the Planar 27" monitor, $210 with free shipping, I think its for today only ."

http://hothardware.com/News/HH-Hot-Deals-of-the-Day-Dell-Notebooks-and-Desktop-Sharp-60-HDTV-Klipsch-Speakers-and-More/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 11:36 AM

OptimusPrimeTime:
HH just posted the deal for the Planar 27" monitor, $210 with free shipping, I think its for today only ."

You beat me to it,......LOL!

As for Samsung, I have two of their professional screens ($680 each, years ago)

They are 22" in size and have outstanding color and clarity. So if you want quality, you'll have to fork out more cash for it.

The Planar deal linked above is an outstanding buy.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 310
Jheck1 replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:04 PM

I just got a 7" Planar PX2710MW 2ms 1080p LCD Monitor  for a gift...so glad to hear it's being rated so highly!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS