Cyanogen Says ICS Is In The Works

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,170
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 17 2011 11:54 AM

It's not uncommon for an Android phone to be left in the dust when new versions of Android are released.  When a new version of Android becomes available, each carrier and manufacturer must make a decision as to which phones to upgrade and which ones to leave behind. Unfortunately, many phones are often left behind.

All hope is not lost, however, since projects such as CyanogenMod bring the latest and greatest versions of Android to these otherwise forgotten phones. CyanogenMod supports dozens of phones, but you'll have to root the device in order to install the custom OS.

With a simple tweet this week, Cyanogen let users know that they are now working on a version of Ice Cream Sandwich, the latest version of Android. The tweet read, "And we're off. Check back in 2 months :) #cm9 #ics." Although it may take a couple of months before Cyanogen is able to offer ICS, you can bet many users rejoiced at the news.

Cyanogen made its announcement just one day after Google made the source code for Ice Cream Sandwich available. Cyanogen also said that it would continue to get CyanogenMod 7.2 out the door while working on CyanogenMod 9.

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 775
timaeus replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 12:45 PM

Heh, I'm guessing my poor Eris won't be able to handle ICS too well anyway. It's already struggling enough with Gingerbread.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 1:06 PM

I don't know Cyanogen does not even work on my Sensation I can install it and it runs the part with the robot on the skateboard afterwards but it never gets to a useable screen. I don't know if it is my phone specifically because apparently some people use it on a TmoUS Sensation, it is just not happening on mine.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 2:43 PM

I'm actually posting this from cm7, i just put it on my Mytouch 4g. It's really nice and fast, and im sure ics will be just as awesome. Rapid1, check on xda to see what's going on. They may be able to help.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 6:51 PM

I'll be waiting! :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,362
Points 48,685
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Nov 17 2011 10:19 PM

I'm running CyanogenMod 7.1 on my SGSII and it's awesome. UI isn't as fluid as the GPU accelerated stock Samsung ROM, but everything else is so much faster. Especially web-browsing and JavaScript performance. BrowserMark and SunSpider are about 30% faster than the stock with with CM 7.1.

If you've got a slightly older phone, say something withing the last year, that's supported, I'd definitely give CyanogenMod a shot.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Fri, Nov 18 2011 11:36 AM

I would if I could find a compatible build for my Sensation. I have it open with Revolution but this ROM has major issues on my sensation specifically and I have tried 4 different builds of it. The farthest I get is to the android on his skate board the screen never loads any further than there no matter what I do!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS