Android Malware Infestation a Fast Growing Problem, Report Says

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,675
Points 1,155,545
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 16 2011 3:26 PM
The bigger your market share, the more your platform will be targeted by malware writers, and that could spell trouble for Android. According to data from research firm Gartner, Android in the third quarter of 2011 landed on three times as many smartphones as iOS, which isn't surprising when you consider everyone and their uncle is allowed to build a device around Google's open source platform. But what might be shocking is the amount of foul files infecting the platform.

New data published by Juniper Networks shows a whopping 472 percent increase in Android malware samples since July. Yikes! A little more than half of those threats are spyware, while 44 percent are classified as SMS Trojan horses, Juniper says.

All the gory details are listed in a ginormous infographic (see here), and it's not pretty. Malware isn't an idle threat, and according to Juniper, more than three-fourths of all Android smartphone and tablet users access sensitive business information from their Android devices.

In a related blog post, Juniper said it discovered a "trove of malicious applications aimed at Android users hosted across different Russia-based third party app stores," which serves as a reminder to only download Android apps from trusted locations, like Google's Android Market, Amazon, etc.
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 346
Points 2,505

Scary. I wonder why a lot of this kind of crap seems to be coming from Russia?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 6:17 PM

mcaffee app (sarcasm)

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,461
Points 46,925
ForumsAdministrator

News:
which serves as a reminder to only download Android apps from trusted locations, like Google's Android Market, Amazon, etc.

Downloading from a trusted source can't be emphasized enough, and I'm glad you printed that!Yes

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I guess many people still think because its a smartphone or a tablet that they are safe from viruses and its a PC only issue. Like Super Dave above said, Downloading from a trusted source can't be emphasized enough."

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 7:14 PM

Of course, if we assume there were 3 malware apps in July, 2011, the a 472% increase would mean a total of around 14 or 15 such by today. That's as compared to several hundred THOUSAND such malicious packages in the wild for Windows (including Windows 8, if it's ever released).

Funny how easy it is to manipulate idiots with statistics.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 7:16 PM

Viruses have somewhat existed on Mobile Phones since the dawn of time, glad an article like this is brining mobile phone viruses to the forefront.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 7:32 PM

Do you ever have a positive thing to say? We welcome your input here either way but man, all that negativity... it must be exhausting after a while! :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630
omegadraco replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 10:00 PM

Even downloading from trusted sources can't be a guarantee but it certainly helps. Getting android apps from Android markets other than Google's/Amazon's and companies similar to them is like downloading music from limewire to your computer the potential is there to open yourself up to a whole pile of crap. I use a nice app called Lookout Mobile that scans every app that I download and while I don't rely on it to be perfect it adds a nice layer of protection and does not seem to effect the performance of my phone much.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 10:10 PM

omegadraco:

Even downloading from trusted sources can't be a guarantee but it certainly helps. Getting android apps from Android markets other than Google's/Amazon's and companies similar to them is like downloading music from limewire to your computer the potential is there to open yourself up to a whole pile of crap. I use a nice app called Lookout Mobile that scans every app that I download and while I don't rely on it to be perfect it adds a nice layer of protection and does not seem to effect the performance of my phone much.

What'd be even better is if Google took some form of control in the monitoring of App Stores... I mean all of those infected apps came from russian app-stores and those stores had to get the word out right? If Google can find some sort of system to display which App Stores are genuine and which is not then it'll help wonders with the malware problem... If they manage to infect Android from the web browser, then it's a bigger problem but since it's through apps, it can be mostly contained.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Points 3,205
LLeCompte replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 10:41 PM

i use lookout security on my android phone to protect it. i havent gotten a virus, nor have i gotten one on my pc in ages. You just have to be careful, thats all.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

So what type of malware is most common? What does it do?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS