Labor Day's Gaming System Giveaway Winner's ! Phantom Rig !

This post has 35 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay Posted: Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:01 PM

Hey Hey !! It's Here ! !  Big Smile

The Labor Day Gaming System that Marco built in the HotHardwares-Two-and-A-Half-Geeks-Webcast

Woo-Hoo ! Smile

Nice and Clean !

Another Look at the inside ..*** Two fan connectors are for the 2 @ 120 mm fans on the side panel.

...Another Look at some of the Inside...Just on the outside ! Wink

&& I would sincerely like to say Thanks Again to Dave ,Marco,& All the Generous Sponsors:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2400S
Processor Cooling: NZXT HAVIK 140
Motherboard:  Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Motherboard
Memory: 4GB Patriot DDR3 Memory 
Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Power Supply: NZXT Hale 90
Storage: Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD
Secondary Storage: Seagate 3TB HD

Operating System Windows 7 64-Bit  *** Along With what ever Customized Linux Boot I want !

As Well as All of the HotHardware Commuity for this Awesome Tower in Black  Smile

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Looks fantastic, and seeing these pics, I believe you made the right choice in choosing the black case, just look at it, its a beauty. Enjoy rrplay. Its Awesome, and Marco did a great job ."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 990
Points 14,250
Manduh replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:25 PM

Great pics rrplay!! I hope you have tons of fun playing around with this kick ass rig!!

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:26 PM

I was going to start a thread based on the pictures you posted in the other thread but decided against it. Good call... Again, congratulations.

Still drooling... Surprise

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:39 PM

TaylorKarras:
Still drooling...

Can't blame you. It's a beautiful PC with some fantastic cabling inside of it too.

Now to see if he can get it past 6.0GHz. in an OC!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 175
oh_fubar replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:53 PM

Nice looking rig Peter  

They did a bang up job building it.

You lucky so&so lol

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 2:55 PM

hehe.. Marco does build 'em tight, doesn't he? Big Smile  Good stuff! Enjoy!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 3:02 PM

Nice looking machine. Congrats again.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 3:25 PM

realneil:
TaylorKarras:
Still drooling...

Can't blame you. It's a beautiful PC with some fantastic cabling inside of it too.

Now to see if he can get it past 6.0GHz. in an OC! 

Yep it is very easy to do excellent cable management with this Phantom chassis and a modular PSU. Just a few notes so far ,is that the fan controller on top of the chassis are great  too ! They have blue led on the inside fans too.No fan led on the 2@ 120mm side panel fans .Another thing is that one is able to add an additional front 140mm  intake fan,as well as a side 200mm fan for the GPUS,

>>> Note: NZXT 200 mm fans only  for the side panel ! ...because the 200mm fan mounting holes are unique to NZXT.

The other thing is that with the NZXT HAVIK 140 cooler being installed one is not able to use a 200mm side panel fan  ...the cooler is a bit big.

@ realneil Anyhow the Intel Core i5 2400S is not  an OC type processor or similar to a SB 2500 K  SB 2600K Cpu.Take look here for more info:

Closer Look at Core i5-2400S

I 'll have to see what the chip mobo and ram can to do .The GB mainboard is rock solid and the Patriot ram stick are 'beefy-ier' than I thought...I suppose you have to hold them in your hands to see what I mean.4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-15000 (1866MHz) Enhanced Latency Kit

Patriot's Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition memory kits are designed for Intel's® 2nd Generation Core™; processors. Engineered for PC Gamers and enthusiasts the Viper Xtreme Division 2's utilize a custom designed heatshield solution with an outer shield built around a copper core to provide enhanced cooling. Each module has 6 grams of copper at its core paired with extruded aircraft-grade aluminum outer shield....

yep you'll notice the 6grams weight ! & a bit tall too !

remember Marco mentioning something about the rubber cpu cooler fan mounts ? &  taller ram sticks ?  ..a good thing too ! Smile

***Edit thanks for all the remarks and noticed them after submitting this one. yep one sweet rig ! & going to have a lot of fun with it for quite some time. !

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 3:39 PM

Dave_HH:
hehe.. Marco does build 'em tight, doesn't he? Big Smile  Good stuff! Enjoy!

yep ! NO Doubt About it !  Smile  What Marco did that was especially nice was to round up all the leftover build 'stuff'' too  ! Big Smile

*** Note: I will be posting some clocks ,temps, & other stuff pretty soon !

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Awesome rig... I hope you have a lot of fun with this kool tower in black. The other awesome thing is that HH somehow manages to continue to give away these full machines.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 4:39 PM

Dave_HH:
hehe.. Marco does build 'em tight, doesn't he?

What a trip!

It goes way beyond most customs rigs for tidiness, and it leaves most home build's in the dust.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 341
Points 4,490
slugbug replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 12:19 AM

You could try installing the CPU cooler sideways pointing up.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 8:47 AM

slugbug:
You could try installing the CPU cooler sideways pointing up.

Pretty sure that not going to work @slugbug esp with the 140mm fans.here are some remarks from NZXT regarding the HAVIK-140 and the Phantom chassis with an aditional 200mm side fan ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146011

... The cooler will still properly fit if you can remove the side 200mm fan. If you have any further questions regarding about the cpu cooler please email us at ...

Still not a big deal the i5 2400S is quite energy efficient and runs very cool,It is not an overclocking SB cpu.the 2400 has a bit more headroom especially on the GB P67 mainboard.Stil lot of option down the road with a rig like this..

Anyhoo !  for those interested and easy reference ...here is the HH Marco writeup with GTX 560 Ti ..
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Debuts
http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/53417.aspx

Some of the comments in the discussion are interesting too ! ...some 'kat - flapping' somethin'  about having a SSD. more HD storage and of course 2 GTX 560Ti cards in SLI....Smile 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 10:18 AM

rrplay:
and of course 2 GTX 560Ti cards in SLI....

So how loud to the two 560's sound in SLI. I was thinking of buying a GTX 560Ti SLI setup but backed off when I discovered how loud it would be... So with the sufficient airflow, do you think that the noise is tolerable.

Also have you tried to overclock the GPU's yet. That's what I was planning to do with the 560Ti SLI setup had I bought two of those but, decided to get the DiRT 3 edition instead. I read that it does well even even with another card near it; which I'm hoping the cooler will do and hoping it'll sound good because they praised the cooler a lot. Before I do that though, I gotta increase the airflow of my system by buying a 80mm fan, making my own dust filter and mounting that fan in the front of my case.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 10:36 AM

TaylorKarras:
So how loud to the two 560's sound in SLI. I was thinking of buying a GTX 560Ti SLI setup but backed off when I discovered how loud it would be... So with the sufficient airflow, do you think that the noise is tolerable.

Also have you tried to overclock the GPU's yet.

The GTX 560Ti cardss are really nice and they are not that loud at all. Some of the ones with Twin coolers are likely to be quieter. Any how of course I am checking the OC with the cards out, separately and w/ SLI Tthe clocks  fan profiles temps etc and will get around to posting all that in a little while. some of that  here in this thread and some of the other clocks & temps in that on-going workshop thread

Overclocking Video Cards - Monitoring Temps and Stability

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/54045.aspx?PageIndex=1

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Sat, Nov 12 2011 6:43 PM

...pending.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

sure is a nice rig!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Good stuff rrplay!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 10:51 PM

eunoia:
I was glad when you won because I knew there would be a payoff for the rest of us (losers :D).  My theory is that the weird choice of CPU will be keeping you out of a record 3Dmark11 score, but it will still beat the crap out of most of ours.  Thread bookmarked and looking forward to reading more of your adventures!

I wouldn't say that it'd be keeping him down. I mean it does provide plenty of power to the video cards and this baby is powerful enough to power two 560Ti's in SLI... Certainly the newer CPU's have a higher ceiling then before; no longer do we have to worry about overclocking in order to get the most from out cards, just get a newer 32mm processor and be done with it.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 12:01 AM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 2:43 AM

Finally got back to share some stuff in this thread with the rig. ! it's been an interesting discussion so far, and yep the i5 2400S is a unique cpu.It's probably easiest to post some screenshots- at- glance.

Note >>>. Windows 7 64bit, latest Gigabyte F6 Bios,Nvidia 285.62 -drivers. with new Vid Bios Flash ! ,[more about the 560 Ti cards in the vid clocks & temps thread ], >>> the MS services are 'tweaked' as in day to day use, See Black Viper service tweaks. [modest] ,all screenshot take  with the Gimp which is also running.

Ok ! Let's see what the system is at idle

Let's check out some Furmark Burn In with a light 'bump' with the560 Ti's ..& note the cpu clock@ 3750.5Mhz

Just about to add a bit of Prime95 [Common Blend Test] ..560 Ti's at stock

Running pretty darn solid & Note the cpu speed . an i5 2400 without the S would like have more flexibility , but it is not designed that way.

Furmark Burn In + Prime 95 Blend Run

*** So Far so Good ! & A Pretty good start so far !  with more to come !

....it's really a very sweet rig ! with just one GTX 560 Ti    !  Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 4:53 PM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 8:55 PM

eunoia:

Turbo +50% is pretty impressive though. Big Smile

Figured after what I wrote, you would have hurried to post the 3DMark11 world record for this set-up!  I've slept so soundly these past 11 months knowing that my rig was THE WORLD CHAMPION in an only slightly less meaningless category.  Join me!

All kidding aside, there's still something about a desktop full of diagnostics that gets the blood going, so thanks for these detailed updates.

At first I thought that i would actually be getting into those too a bit sooner, but thought it best to review a bit more about the hardware in the rig and the differences with the i5 2400 and i5 2400S .Here is some the HH info here:

Gigabyte P67A-UD7 Motherboard and the Patriot memory kit 

......"The Patriot 4GB (2GB x 2) kit is rated for operation at up to 1866MHz (also C9) at 1.65v, although we found it would run with lower latencies at lower frequencies as well"

That is inside this rig.One thing for sure there is plenty of good solid power from the PSU to run this system. even if I should be drop in a i5 2500K which would OC extremely well on air with the Havik cpu cooler.Playing with the multi's on the 2400S is marginal & BCLK is almost non-exist ..still learning what it's capable of & did notice a bit of speed increase with the Patriot XMP profile loaded as in the above and some apps / games will benefit from the occasional turbo boost.Will definetly be posting some of the songle GTX card and SLI in the other video thread and the rest of the bios and swapping mem in the Bios OC thread along with some scores and other stuff in this one.

Not likely to be setting any 'crushing' bench scores but this is a very, very sweet machine that stable,quiet and cool.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 1:13 AM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 2:14 AM

eunoia:
The RAM is beast too, I <3 my Patriot memory.  If anything the ratings are conservative.

yep no doubt eunoia ! Those Patriot Ram stick are just beefy'  !! here is the mem tab for CPU-Z for the above which is also conservative:

Lots to do and more to come been switching over to MSI Afterburner need to pump a bit more V into those 560's  ...just a wee little bit to stabilize the clocks and some pesky artifacts in Heaven 2.5..already done and be adding more soon !

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 110

very nice rig

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 266
Points 2,975

Congratulations on your prize. It look very nice tower. I am sure you enjoy it a lot.. Now we will wait what HH have a next prize soon. We will never know and need wit and see.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 990
Points 14,250
Manduh replied on Wed, Nov 16 2011 5:22 PM

Mike Coyne:

Congratulations on your prize. It look very nice tower. I am sure you enjoy it a lot.. Now we will wait what HH have a next prize soon. We will never know and need wit and see.

There's one up right here: http://hothardware.com/News/HotHardware-Giving-Thanks-System-Sweepstakes/

GOOD LUCK to you!!

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 9:30 AM

Manduh:
Mike Coyne:

There's one up right here: http://hothardware.com/News/HotHardware-Giving-Thanks-System-Sweepstakes/ GOOD LUCK to you!! 

Yep Mike it sure is nice tower  !

&  the PCAudio Labs rig that ManduHH mentions in the current HH giveaway is one very sweet machine with a boatload of software for musicians..

..moving on with more ' stuff ' with this rig ...Here are some ATTO  scores :

The HH Round-up & review can be found here

Patriot Wildfire120 GB  SSD with new 3.3.2 firmware :

*** Not sure but might get slightly better results to 'zeroing ' the Wildfire SSD  to factory and the scores are dif will post back.

Seagate Barracuda XT 3TG Storage Drive  aka p0rn <,oooops >Data Drive"

*** Will be sharing  more results with common benches and apps throughout this thread !

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Mon, Nov 21 2011 10:50 PM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Tue, Nov 22 2011 12:15 AM

eunoia:

Wildfire is blazing!  Still out of range for me, but the motherboard I just put in my rig will take these newfangled SATA 6Gb/s drives to the max.  You know...errr..."future-proofing." Smile

yep no doubt The Patriot Wildfire is an excellent SSD ! Withe P67 mainboard in this rig after updating the Patriot Firmware be sure to disable the C3 /C6 States in the bios and you do not need or want the Intel RST drivers at all.

*** Was also curious to see if there would be a difference with the Patriot's Wildfire  Performance & ATTO scores for example  in Windows 8  with the Protogon File system & just 'cuz....

so thanks eunoia Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 1:48 AM

Beautiful rig. Very lucky to have that!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:03 PM

A few weeks ago had a bit of luck on fb an got my hands on one of these Noctua NH-L12 coolers .

Very nice and well made kit ! with all the accessories make it easily configurable. Just a little update, ... been using  HH Labor day a lot and one of the things I did was replace the 'squirrely' sounding PSU fan, a few months ago and since the Havik 140 may be a bit overkill for the Intel 2400 S been using just one 140mm  fan on it.Still have to check out the Noctua  NH-L12 cooler and this one is whisper quiet and installed in the HH Labor Day Rig below.

The other thing that is a bit different is a GSkill CL 1600 - 8 GB kit instead of the Patriot 1866 - 4GB kit.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 10:36 AM

Nice win!

Noctua is premium gear. 

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 80

:OOO

Page 1 of 1 (36 items) | RSS