iPhone, iPad Users Most Interested in iOS 5; iPod Users Say 'Meh'

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,693
Points 1,156,570
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2011 4:14 PM
Nearly four out of 10 iPhone users (38 percent) have gone out and updated their smartphones to iOS 5, representing the highest adoption rate of any iDevice, according to data provided by Chitka Insights. iPad owners proved the next most anxious to upgrade, with almost a third -- 30 percent -- now rocking Apple's latest and greatest mobile operating system. Coming in a distant third is the iPod crowd, with only 12 percent of users choosing to install iOS 5 so far. What gives?

"Evidently those using the iPod aren’t interested in upgrading to the latest software, most likely because their iPod’s are mainly used for media or on the go purposes," Chitka Insights explains. "While the iPad is functionally similar to the iPod, consumers appear to truly care about having the latest software. This could be attributed to iPad users desire for greater utility and have a more frequent and open interaction with the device’s UI. The iPhone 4S sold over 4 million units in the first weekend, so this certainly contributes to the heightened volume. However, this could be compounded by the fact that many consumers use their cellphones as their primary mobile device, and update it as necessary due to its great utility."

Source: Chitka Insights

Makes sense to us, though we're still somewhat surprised by the comparatively low adoption rate. And while Chitka brings up some interesting points, they're not necessarily accurate; Chitka didn't actually ask why these users did or didn't install iOS 5, only whether or not they did.

Apple announced iOS 5 just over a month ago on October 4th, the same day it unveiled the iPhone 4S.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 416
Points 3,205

My girlfriend has a iphone 4 and she still hasn't updated her phone. I guess it just depends on the person. If people's idevices are working fine, i doubt they really care about a software update. My boss on the other updated his iphone 4 the day ios 5 came out, then ordered his iphone 4s. So it just depends on the person.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 5:00 PM

You make a good point LLeCompte... I mean I'm the kind of guy who can't be bothered to update once a month... Though updates are good for keeping your phone secure and for the new features that usually come with these updates... It doesn't matter if it's the iPhone or the iPad, updates are updates...

The same graph could somewhat apply to users of non-Apple devices. I mean the world of Apple is pretty big but there is a sizeable ecosystem out there just waiting to be tapped.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,763
Points 40,465

iPod users don't care as long as it still works lol. There really isn't a point in updating it when all they use it for is music and games.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 12:40 AM

still on ios4 here. but i jailbroke so i already have most of the added features (plus some beast others not in ios5). I don't feel like nuking my phone (app wise) to not really upgrade.

now if i didnt jailbreak, then i'd be all over it.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 989
Points 14,245
Manduh replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 10:01 AM

I have an iPod as well as an iPad 2, I haven't bitten the bullet yet either. It just takes too long to update iOS devices especially when you take into acct the sync and backup process before hand, and the syncing afterwards. I haven't found a real need to go through with the hassle yet.

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"It took me a long , long time before I decide to upgrade to Sp1 on Vista, and I don't feel compelled to upgrade to Sp2. When it comes to the OS, I think its common that people feel vulnerable into upgrading cause you always, always anticipate that something bad might happen along the way and risk losing everything. So I would fall in the category of the remaining 62%, unless its super vital to do so."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS