HP Still Deciding What to Do With webOS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,807
Points 1,164,600
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2011 3:56 PM
Hewlett-Packard's recently appointed CEO Meg Whitman already made one tough decision since taking over for Leo Apotheker, and that was whether or not to go ahead with plans to dump the company's PC division. She (wisely) chose not to, and the next big decision has to do with webOS. After meeting with company bigwigs last night to decide the fate of webOS, Whitman and the gang came to the conclusion that they need more time to think about it.

"It's really important to me to make the right decision, not the fast decision," Whitman told a room full of Palm and HP employees last night, according to The Verge.

Having already made one tough decision recently, perhaps HP CEO Meg Whitman should consult a Magic 8 ball for advice on what to do with webOS.

Whitman told employees that if HP does ultimately decide to keep webOS, the company plans "to do it in a very significant way over a multi-year period." In other words, HP doesn't want to simply sit on its acquisition and let it fester, but the problem is "it's a very expensive proposition."

It's understandable that HP wants to take its time with this one. Should HP decide to sell off webOS, it would likely find plenty of buyers willing to pony up hundreds of millions of dollars, but the chances of recouping the entire $1.2 billion HP paid for Palm is slim to none.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 427
Points 3,290

They should sell it away to google so that way google can stock up on patients. Plus the head ui guy at google used to work at palm.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510

I vote to sell.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I agree sell it off now that they already got rid of their tablets. Let's just hope Apple doesn't buy it for patents.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I agree with you guys sell it and focus on windows 8 tablets, but who would buy it? Like @omegadraco said someone looking for patents would most likely snag it. I'd like to see Amazon get it.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"They should just make it open source, there are people in that developing community that have the right attitude and motivation to move WebOS forward, unlike HP."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 4:06 PM

Wheatley:
"They should just make it open source, there are people in that developing community that have the right attitude and motivation to move WebOS forward, unlike HP."

But how will they recoup most of the 1.2 billion dollars they spent on WebOS. Keep in mind that they payed money for the OS, it'd be a different story if they developed it (well not that much different, Jaiku was open source for a while and no one ever heard of it again... But they didn't spend that much money acquiring it.) but since they acquired it and payed a hefty price for it, open sourcing it would just be like rendering most of the meaning of HP's Palm acquisition meaningless...

Sometimes you just have to think like a business, not like a dreamer. HP was utilizing WebOS before Leo took over as CEO and ruined everything, now Meg Whitman has to come in and save the day when it comes to that disaster. And even I'm not sure she can save WebOS/Palm... I mean what will become of Palm when WebOS is gone and most of the team is let go; much of their expertise was in Phones, OS's, Tablets and the like and without that, Palm is mostly useless in the HP ecosystem.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS