NVIDIA Officially Unveils Tegra 3 Mobile Processor

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,115,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2011 3:21 PM
NVIDIA introduced its long-awaited Tegra 3 processor (The Chip Formerly Known As Kal-El), which is the first quad-core mobile processor around.

Designed for tablets and super phones, the Tegra 3 will purportedly best the processing performance of the Tegra 2 chip by a factor of five (and graphics by a factor of three, thanks to a 12-core NVIDIA GeForce GPU with stereo 3D support), all while reducing power consumption by 61%.

Although Tegra 3 is a quad-core chip, there is also a fifth “companion core”, which is designed to take over for less-intensive computing tasks, such as listening to audio or updating background data. The technology behind the fifth core is NVIDIA’s Variable Symmetric Multiprocessing (vSMP).

The debut product packing the Tegra 3 is ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime, which we’ve just told you all about.

If the Tegra 3 performs as well as NVIDIA says it will, you can expect everything on your mobile device to perform faster and better, including Web browsing, gaming, streaming video, editing photos, rendering video, running apps, and so on.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 5:03 PM

Well people have been talking about it, people somewhat know what it is and well since it's already out, I guess people are praising around the world... Yup, NVIDIA's Superboy sure looks powerful but it's launch doesn't feel as majestic as it could of been...

Well, all I have to do now is sit back and wait for HotHardware to receive one of those Transformer Primes in the mail, then we'll see whether Terga 3 is worth it.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 413
Points 3,190

The new asus prime looks beast. I'm with Taylor, let's get it on the test bench to see what it is all about

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

I'll wait for the trustworthy HH review as well. Though I have to say I anticipate having one of these in my phone in the future.

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 450
KreepyK replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:25 PM

That's pretty cool, more power and power efficiency, good on you nVidia.

I would really like to see AMD's take on ARM. They are totally missing out on the mobile market...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I'm pretty excited about these new chips, the transformer Prime is one sexy machine! Seriously, more horsepower and less power used is awesome for mobile devices. There are already rumors that htc is cooking up a tegra 3 smartphone(edge) for a spring release. I can't wait to see what the competitors come up with to take this on. Looking forward to a review of this thing.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

"Amazing, truly amazing. From a dual core chip to a quad+1 core chip with more graphical umph, and still consumes way less than the previous generation. But can it run Battlefield 3?"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Fri, Dec 9 2011 11:57 PM

This is an incredible proccesor, but it comes with something much than proccessing power. It comes with the promise that by 2014 Nvidia will have a 30x faster proccessor available to te public.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
Martin55 replied on Fri, Apr 13 2012 10:37 PM

I can't wait to see what the competitors come up with to take this on. Looking forward to a review of this thing.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS