New Mobile Carrier To Offer Unlimited Everything Plan For $19 Per Month

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,585
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 9 2011 11:53 AM

A new service from Broadband.com could help you save some cash on your cell phone bill. The new mobile service known as Republic Wireless promises unlimited talk, text, and data for just $19 per month. Republic Wireless is able to offer this service because it operates primarily over Wi-Fi networks.

Recognizing that a Wi-Fi network may not always be available, the company has an agreement with Sprint so you'll still be able to use your phone. Although there is no limit to how much you can use your phone over a Wi-Fi network, you will be limited to somewhere around 550 minutes, 150 texts, and 300 megabytes when connected to Sprint’s network. Should you cross that threshold, Republic Wireless says it will remind you of its guidelines and give you a chance to get the usage back within the community’s fair use threshold.

If you're interested in the service but aren't sure you want to make a commitment, that's ok too since Republic Wireless operates without a contract. For now, the carrier is offering a single handset, the LG Optimus, but promises there will be more soon. You'll have to pay $199 plus tax up front for the first month of service and the phone. Using the code "welcome19" by November 27, you can reduce the activation and handset cost to $99.

This is definitely a new take on unlimited mobile service and it's certainly more affordable than some of the other offerings that are out there. Will the service stand the test of time and survive in a world where others have struggled to succeed?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Interesting idea. I wonder what they are using the get the phone calls over wi-fi to work.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

lol @omegadraco. This is clearly VOIP thats switches to Sprint when a wifi connetion cannot be made. Easy to implement and I wish this would have come about much earlier. Makes you wonder why Skype never did this!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 73
Points 800

This sounds like a great idea in a big city, but not here in Kansas. Would go over the limits within a day ha.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 9:35 AM

This is a great idea, and for an excellent price. Wish there was something like this where I live, I might actually consider owning a cell phone again.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
VMan1 replied on Thu, Nov 10 2011 9:45 AM

It will be interesting to see how this service goes. I will wait for early adopters to see how they like the service.

Access your home PC from your Android device by using the 2X client App from

http://www.2x.com

also has client for iOS. Voted 20th overall best Android App!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,108
Points 38,255
acarzt replied on Fri, Nov 11 2011 7:57 PM

@ JMcMullen:

Yes it is voip... but it's a little more complicated than that.

They are using UMA which is based off of 802.11u.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11u

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlicensed_Mobile_Access

You have to use a phone that supports that technology. You can't just grab any phone and expect it to work.

There aren't many phones out that support cellular over wifi right now.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS