Get Ready for a Meteoric Rise in Ultrabook Sales

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 8 2011 3:30 PM
Maybe you have no interest in owning an Ultrabook currently. Perhaps you find them to be too expensive for what they are and think you'll be better served by waiting a generation or two. Certainly you're in the majority, because according to IHS iSuppli, Ultrabooks will only account for 2 percent of all notebook shipments by the end of 2011. Looking longer term, however, Ultrabook sales are about to shoot up.

IHS iSuppli reckons Ultrabooks will account for 13 percent of all notebook shipments in 2012, and then 28 percent in 2013, 38 percent in 2014, and 43 percent in 2014. It's all about looking good, the research firm says.

"To compete with media tablets, notebook PCs must become sexier and more appealing to consumers," said Matthew Wilkins, principal analyst, compute platforms at IHS. "With media tablets having already reversed the expansion of the previously fast-growing netbook platform, PC makers now are keenly aware that the notebook must evolve to maintain market growth and relevance. Enter the Ultrabook, which borrows some of the form-factor and user-interface advantages of the media tablet to enhance the allure of the venerable notebook."

Just so we're clear, IHS iSuppli says Ultrabooks are defined as notebooks that are super thin and light, measuring less than 0.8 inches thick. They must employ a full OS like Windows and add features commonly found in media tablets, like instant-on activation, always-connected Wi-Fi, SSDs, and greater than 8 hours of battery life. Ideally, Ultrabooks will cost less than $1,000, though that hasn't always been the case up to this point.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

***Ultrabooks will cost less than $1,000, though that hasn't always been the case up to this point.***

"Very true, especially thanks to SSD's and these new generations of low power , high performance processors and on die GPU's, that will only get faster in the future , while maintaining an appealing price point."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I see this article as just pointing out the obvious. The trend so far has been thinner and faster laptops, it only makes sense that they will continue to follow the trend in the future. The only thing i see changing is the tablet/laptop line in the sand fading away and the two merging into one device. As long as the performance is there, I think people will be willing to pay $1000 for a quality product as the economy gets better.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 47,085
ForumsAdministrator

News:
Ultrabooks will account for 13 percent of all notebook shipments in 2012, and then 28 percent in 2013, 38 percent in 2014, and 43 percent in 2014.

Are they anticipating huge sales increases because the prices will drop drastically, or are they expecting a quick economic recovery? I'd really like to replace my aging laptop with an ultrabook but I can't afford to drop a grand on a new one!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Drake_McNasty:
The only thing i see changing is the tablet/laptop line in the sand fading away and the two merging into one device.

'I agree, Just look at the Asus Transformer, I think it's the starting base that  represents that target you mentioned.  But Microsoft and Win 8 will also play a big part in that happening with its ecosystem."

Super Dave:
Are they anticipating huge sales increases because the prices will drop drastically, or are they expecting a quick economic recovery?

"Great opinion"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 6:21 PM

Super Dave:
Are they anticipating huge sales increases because the prices will drop drastically, or are they expecting a quick economic recovery?

I would have to say the former due to the fact that the technology is getting cheaper; the recent die shrinks (in processors really) and subsequent drops in the pricing of SSDs (due to the falling prices of memory) will help Ultrabooks become cheaper then ever before. It's going to be a long time before the economy is stable enough for people to buy more, tons of news pieces proved that.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,652
Points 104,120
MembershipAdministrator

Super Dave:
Are they anticipating huge sales increases because the prices will drop drastically, or are they expecting a quick economic recovery? I'd really like to replace my aging laptop with an ultrabook but I can't afford to drop a grand on a new one!

Yeah, I agree with you Super,.....unless they come down in price I'll have to ~not~ be one of their statistics.

Also, there is about to be a huge shotgun blast to AMD's broadside from Intel called socket 2011. The platform promises to be a wicked performer with QUAD-channel memory capabilities and PCI-E 3.0 as well, but it will not come cheap.

So do I get this new wicked-fast Intel gaming platform? Or do I ignore the fact that I already have a good working (but older) laptop and spend a grand on an UltraBook?

A ~much less expensive~ Ultrabook would be easier to justify.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I think these ultrabooks are super sexy and nice and will have their place. But the majority of people will not want to spend the cash.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS