Commodore USA Puts C64x Extreme On Sale

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,873
Points 1,172,830
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 4 2011 12:29 AM
Commodore. It's a name that aged gamers will never forget. And hopefully, it's a name that even new-age gamers will recall and respect. Somehow or another, Commodore USA is still kicking, and they announced today that they're now shipping production orders for the new Commodore 64 Extreme model (C64x-EX). The C64x Extreme is the most powerful Commodore computer ever produced, running at a whopping 3.3Ghz with Intel's Turbo Boost Technology. Featuring a 2nd generation Sandy Bridge 2.2Ghz 64-bit Intel core i7 (Quad Core/Eight Threads CPU [i7-2720QM]) the C64x Extreme runs fast and cool while providing a massive amount of storage, RAM and I/O options. This includes a 2 TB Hard Drive, 8 Gigabytes of RAM, 2 USB 3.0 ports, 5 USB 2.0 ports, 1 e-SATA port, SPDIF, HDMI, DVI and VGA display connections, a slot loaded R/W DVD drive, built in Ethernet and Wireless.

The C64x-EX has a high end mechanical keyboard, incorporating genuine Cherry brand "Blue" switches and is built and assembled entirely in the USA. Available in a single configuration priced at $1499, the new C64x Extreme is guaranteed to ship by Dec 15th if ordered before Nov 25th. Recently produced C64x-EX units are in stock and ship within one business day while supplies last. The C64x-EXTREME comes pre-imaged with Mint 11 and will dual boot with the retro inspired Commodore OS Vision when released.

Gotta say, there's something drop-dead sexy about retro. Mmm. $1499 well spent...
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 266
Points 2,975

Good looking Keyboard. has everything built under the keyboard.Just hook up to TV or wide screen monitor. Very simple.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 526
Points 4,840

Hummm, I think I should buy one of these and set it up next to my original Commodore 64.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

InfinityzeN1:

Hummm, I think I should buy one of these and set it up next to my original Commodore 64.

"I used to own a couple of Commodore 64 myself, It was actually my first computer experience at home. I got em via my moms thrift shop, mint condition too, we use to get lots of them along with many Atari systems."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 12:18 PM

I'd much rather mod and original, dead C64. $1500 is WAY too pricey.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator

That thing is Butt-Ugly!

It's costs too much, and you can build a 'big-boy' PC for far less.

What marketers will come up with just to get your money never ceases to amaze me.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

It's pretty cool. But I agree, way to pricey.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
PMalloy replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 6:49 PM

the price isnt really that bad for a pre built machine, sure i could build one for less, but if you look at a dell or acer or whoever for a similar speced machine you will see the price is fairly decent.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 9:36 PM

I remember this getting flack back then for being underpowered and somewhat of a waste of money...

Still, people could buy this for other purposes, such as modding or for the retro chic look they're trying to get... It's not a bad pre-built PC but there are better out there.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 425
MCook replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:03 AM

I want one! However, at 1500 bucks a pop I will wait a while :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:44 AM

PMalloy:
the price isnt really that bad for a pre built machine, sure i could build one for less, but if you look at a dell or acer or whoever for a similar speced machine you will see the price is fairly decent.

It's totally ugly. They're trying to get sales with a "retro-hook" and they're gonna sink that hook into as many mooks as they can find. How many of you feel something tugging at you? LOL!

This PC's looks, translated into a car, would look like this:

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
WOrsler replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 8:38 PM

$1500!?!?!?!?!?! They're freakin JOKING right?...........the c64 sucked ass 25 years ago, and that was at a fraction of the price.....

A donkey, made out of gold....is still a donkey.

Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 750
RSmith replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 1:55 AM

I actually loved playing the C64 back in the day, it didn't suck at all imho.  There's one thing that is also missing from this article, and that the fact that they're also giving you a crap-ton of C64 games from back then as well.  Whilst some may not be all "SCHWEET!!!" over it, there are others, myself included, that would really enjoy that opportunity for legal retro gaming.  $1500 is a lot of money, especially for it not coming with a Windows OS, a monitor, etc., but once someone actually looks at how it is under the hood, there's a chance they might miraculously understand it.  Sure one can mod an original, but it would (I guarantee this) end up looking even uglier than these, and additionally there are those who'd love to be able to do so and just don't have the time, skill or patience to dedicate to the task.

After all of this, however, there's just one thing I have to ask... does it play Lemmings?  lol

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
antfreq replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 7:10 PM

The price is subjective. $1500 is a lot of money if you don't have the money. If you do, it's a unique PC and that's part of the cost. As with everything else, if it doesn't sell, the price will go down. I for one want one badly.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Include Paradroid, Bard's Tale, and the Ultimas and I'm so buying it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 10:36 AM

SMcClenaghan:

Include Paradroid, Bard's Tale, and the Ultimas and I'm so buying it.

Get an emulator and have a ball instead its cheaper.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS