Steve Jobs Biography Sells 379,000 Copies in First Week

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,155
Points 1,185,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Nov 3 2011 4:03 PM
Say what you want about Steve Jobs, but whatever your opinion of the man, the guy could sell an iPod. And an iPhone and an iPad and a MacBook, and pretty much anything with an Apple logo and the letter "i" slapped in front. This was part of his genius, the ability to market and sell goods and services to an insatiable public, so is it any surprise that his authorized biography is proving immensely popular too?

His biography, written by Walter Isaacson, has sold more than 379,000 copies in the U.S. during the first six days it was made available. To put that in perspective, no book has done as well in its first six week since George W. Bush's Decision Points and Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth were published in 2010.

The next best selling book right now is The Litigators by an author you might have heard of: John Grisham. Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography has outsold it by a measure of more than three-to-one so far, and is the 18th best selling book of the year. Not bad for a computer geek who sold electronics.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

Well of course, just news of his death shocked the world. Who doesn't want to read about him? I for one don't like to read much, but i wouldn't mind reading this.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I myself don't have much time for reading, but this is a must have for me. And DARN, this reminds me of the recent Rolling Stone issue with Steve on the cover that was posted in the forum by realneil. I truly forgot. I'll look around for it , or order online. Rest in Peace Mr Jobs."

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

I'm about 40% done with the book and so far it has been really interesting. Chaning my perspective on Jobs and Woz considerably. It's actually knocked them both down a few pegs in my opinion. Jobs was, shall we say, a less than perfect human, while Woz is portrayed at somewhat of a cuddly, genius bafoon that hasn't worked since 1978.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

@MChiappetta

"Are you related to Marco Chiappetta?"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,586
Points 54,885
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 5:25 PM

"Less than perfect human" would pretty much describe all of us, along with typifying the very nature of human kind - imperfect.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 6:16 PM

Yeah, that was me. Logged in with FB for accidentally. And Dave, I was just trying to be kind to a dead man.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Marco:
I'm about 40% done with the book and so far it has been really interesting. Chaning my perspective on Jobs and Woz considerably. It's actually knocked them both down a few pegs in my opinion. Jobs was, shall we say, a less than perfect human, while Woz is portrayed at somewhat of a cuddly, genius bafoon that hasn't worked since 1978.

Dave_HH:

"Less than perfect human" would pretty much describe all of us, along with typifying the very nature of human kind - imperfect.

Marco_C:
And Dave, I was just trying to be kind to a dead man

"Well well, I guess its more interesting than I thought, the only way to give a proper response is to read the book. I guess I will download an E copy to find out if I share the same perspective or not as Marco or Dave, or if my great Iconic idealistic * some say fan-boy* vision of Steve still holds. Very Interesting."

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 8:29 PM

I'd be interested in your take. I hold Woz in high regard and idolize the guy. I always felt Jobs was far less technical and more of a strategist / marketer. It's the details of his personal interactions with people that have put me off. And the belittling of Woz. Plus, there are many parts where "Steve realizes he's smarter than his partents", etc. etc. and it just comes across so nasty to me. Isn't that the point of having kids (or in his case raising an adopted child)? To do you best to ensure they do better than you--even in terms of education and intelligence, etc?

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 10:09 PM

OK, so Ijust got the E-Book and I'll read it soon, (after the one I'm reading now is done) Wasn't going to get it right away, but now I'm interested.

Rolling Stone's piece on Jobs was a good read, and they also had a fantastic online piece on the Beatles Top 100 Songs, with a commentary about the development of each song by the Fab Four themselves. So, 100 songs and what they had to say about each one of them. I read it five times, through and through. Rarely have I got my Beatles fix fed so well.

Big Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 10:56 PM

By the size of that book, I'd have to say it's a whopper...

I might be getting a copy of that book so that I can read it and understand why Steve Jobs did those things. Granted he did innovate a lot of stuff we've seen today but his personality remains a complete mystery; how can someone so innovative and so inspired be rejected to living the rich and famous act when he basically acts like a power mad dictator in front of everyone else... That's what I'd want to know.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Very interested in his story but unfortunately don't have much time to read for pleasure currently. Maybe in a few months I will get a chance to read it. I am surprised they did not name the bio iJobs.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 11:14 PM

I think that was the orignial name (or one of the considerations), but Woz's book was called iWoz and after Steve's passing, they just deviced to keep it real and dump the cutest stuff.

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

@Marco

"Very intriguing data that you mentioned, I agree with your  last statement as well. There's a lot to Steve and so much to find out about his motivation and what kept him going. I really want to know about his child hood and the reasoning of why *Steve realizes he's smarter than his parents*, this is getting better and better."

@realneil

'I will be looking to that. I find myself going back in time in terms of music. I hardly follow the new material that's being put out there. I visit nutsie.com everyday day and get my daily fix of tunes." 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 10:54 AM

Wow, could I possibly have any more typos in a single thread?

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 3:11 PM

I'm really looking forward to reading this book. It will probably be one of the few I actually buy a hard copy of. I can't wait to hear more HH-er's thoughts on it!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I just placed an order right now on Amazon, decide to get the hardcover instead of a digital download. I'm like Andy Rooney, I like my books and magazines in my hands, feel it and turn pages. As well as having it as a collectors item. I will soon share my thoughts and make a thread with my review, after that, I will check the WOZ bio too."

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS