Microsoft's Conceptual Video Of The Future Makes Us Long For It Right Now

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 28 2011 7:16 AM
You could say that we're already living in the future. Cars that are powered by batteries. Wi-Fi on planes. Smartphones that have more power than some small notebooks. But Microsoft thinks that we aren't quite there yet. The company recently published an interesting take on what the world of technology may look like a few years from now. It's called a concept video, designed to show how Microsoft thinks that tech will unfold, and how it'll impact out lives in the years ahead.

Here's Microsoft's take: "The video shows our vision for a future where technology extends and highlights our productive capabilities; it helps us manage our time better, focus our attention on the most important things, and foster meaningful connections with the people we care about.

All of the ideas in the video are based on real technology. Some of the capabilities, such as speech recognition, real time collaboration and data visualization already exist today. Others are not yet available in specific products, but represent active research and development happening at Microsoft and other companies."

While the video is awesome, we can't help but wonder why the time and resources used to create this video weren't used to create real products. Consumers don't want fancy videos. Consumers want fancy products. Let's bring the future, now, Microsoft! In the meantime, we'll enjoy this one.
  • | Post Points: 155
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

"Nice Apple Comercial. Ok , seriously, this video was rather Boring. And to add injury to insult, it already infringes on several Apple patents both active and Pending. Its one thing to pay millions to special effect graphic artist, but its another to actually make it happen. Apple makes it happen , the rest try to emulate and then get sued for not *Thinking Different*. "

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 9:28 AM

The thing is a lot of this already exists. The small device they hold in there hand is a smart phone but it is made (for the video) with computer animation. The wall interactive screen is an all in one PC or a HDTV tied to a network. The business card idea I like and although I have not personally seen one am sure that is existent as well but maybe not designed ad released yet. I do know though that you can bump Android and BB phones together and do it in them. The desktop attached on is cool, the refrigerator one is as well but I am sure all these things are at least in design actively now. With technology moving as fast as it does today think about what will be normal to the kids in 10, 20, and 30 years if a smart phone, GPS, family network, the internet, etc, etc are standard things to them today in a conceptual way. Another thing is usually when M$ throws out a video like this most if not all the things covered in it are things there currently working on. Not to mention none of that stuff really seems conceptually different to me than most things which are currently available they were just implemented differently!

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 9:36 AM

That is funny Optimus when I look at it I see a different thing. Apple likes to steal refine and patent ideas to keep them from the general public unless you want to eat there dogma/product lines. The suing and therefore enforcement on much of this stuff does nothing accept deny the technology to the general public. This is illustrated by the Apple PC best. It is made of the same components as a general PC then stamped with an Apple and the price raised accordingly. The technology such as CPU's, Memory, GPU is generally always last generation but at a premium price because of the name alone. The motherboards to an extent are sometimes new technology but that's about it and a PC is out of date in 3-6 months now, a smart phone is out of date in 3-6 months, but they throw new designs other than visual aesthetics every 2 to 3 years.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

rapid1:

That is funny Optimus when I look at it I see a different thing. Apple likes to steal refine and patent ideas to keep them from the general public unless you want to eat there dogma/product lines. The suing and therefore enforcement on much of this stuff does nothing accept deny the technology to the general public. This is illustrated by the Apple PC best. It is made of the same components as a general PC then stamped with an Apple and the price raised accordingly. The technology such as CPU's, Memory, GPU is generally always last generation but at a premium price because of the name alone. The motherboards to an extent are sometimes new technology but that's about it and a PC is out of date in 3-6 months now, a smart phone is out of date in 3-6 months, but they throw new designs other than visual aesthetics every 2 to 3 years

"R0FL, that's why I love Apple and Steve Jobs, the guy is the ultimate salesman, the ultimate hustler. I like what you wrote , but the part about *Apple likes to steal refine and patent ideas* , I think its not stealing, Apple buys the technology and then applies their efforts, thoughts and make it simple. And its that simplicity and innovation that's driving people to buy their product."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610
omegadraco replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 10:58 AM

Some very cool stuff in this video. I agree much of it already exists and simply need to be refined to do some of these tasks. I found it interesting that they see a world with no hard lines, no bezels, and glasses free 3D everywhere.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 4:08 PM

The funny thing is is that we were promised this stuff back in 2000. I mean we had stuff like the Smart House, a system that'd automatically turn off and on the lights, a system that'd control the temperature and a connected home entertainment system if I remember correctly. A lot of this was even the focus of a Today show special in 2000. While it's interesting and they still use it in promotions, I'd just wish they'd release it right now; I mean it's 2011, the future is now!

Also I'd like to see Apple build a house with their technology. I mean when have you ever seen Apple build a house with their technology. While I do appreciate Apple for their innovativeness and business management style (which involved treating his people poorly and making them come up with better ideas.) I also don't appreciate them for doing most of the stuff Microsoft does, such as proprietary software, the lockdown on Jailbreaking and their instance for a wall garden; the focus on last generation technology (If you buy that iPhone 4S and something better comes up in the longrun, you're screwed.) I mean the iPhone 4S does look sweet and it's able to do some of the stuff but the lack of Flash is severely disappointing and I don't know if I want to pay for a monthly plan which I can't afford to have one.

My only other detest is that he could of easily prevented his death by going against his own ideals but hey, what are you going to do? R.I.P. Steve Jobs. And keep on fanboying Wheatley, keep on fanboying.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 450
KreepyK replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 4:53 PM

You said it, he's exactly that, he's a salesman. And there is one thing salesmen want, your pocket.

The world is getting better, one less salesman at a time.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 10:29 PM

The thing I don't like about Apple is they took the engineer who actually made the devices no matter who's idea's they were and threw them to the curb except for one and he was a second class citizen. Either way as far as Apple goes they were cool once before, and they lost to the PC just like there now starting to loose to android. Samsung is currently the best selling brand across the board by 11%, HTC is even with Apple, and M$/Nokia is about to start dropping devices that are current HW wise and updated software wise. When they drop Windows 8 and the smart phone, home pc's/tablets etc market really starts cooking I give apple about as long as they have had since the iPhone was released, and they will have iTunes, and there newest iCloud. The problem with these things is if you do not have devices that are specific to the services you also have no subscribers and then the services start eating you. I think apple will be close to back where they were 10 years ago in 5-7.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 1:42 PM

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
Y2Kyudhir replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 6:28 AM

I smell a Patent Spree Coming

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 30 2011 11:54 AM

OK, so I saw the video and it's fairly utopian in nature. She's a good little Sheep, following her technology through life.

But I kept wondering, where are the hackers? This widespread ~'sharing'~ amongst everyone in sight is gonna be a huge security risk. I don't doubt that the technology will develop to do these things, but I do doubt that human nature will let it flourish properly.

Also, her hotel room was so depressing as to make one want to commit Hari-Kari immediately. Smile

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 224
Points 2,390
Kiristo replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 2:56 PM

So...one thing I dislike about every "futuristic" thing like this is that you just use your hand instead of a mouse. Is that really easier? Making hand gestures? Eaiser than barely moving your hand and a couple fingers? The mouse is an amazingly simple yet effective device that I don't think should go away for desktop computers unless something truly better comes about. Making hand gestures is not that thing.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 3:38 PM

I agree Kiristo although I could see it I am used to as you are this movement method and it works for me. I actually prefer playing games with a keyboard and mouse because it just gives me a finer degree of control.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS