Sapphire Unveils Flex HD 6970 Battlefield 3 Edition Graphics Card

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,156,765
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 25 2011 4:04 PM
Have you ever tried to kill two birds with one stone? It's not always easy, and pet stores tend to frown on such things. But if you happen to need a videocard upgrade and are interested in picking up the just-released Battlefield 3 game from EA, well, Sapphire might have just what you're looking for.

The new Limited Edition Sapphire FleX HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 BF3 Edition graphics card gives gamers access to a free copy of the full game everyone's talking about. And the card itself is pretty rad with 1536 stream processors, 96 texture processing units, and a dual BIOS switch that lets users switch between two performance settings. When set to Normal, the card races along at 880MHz for the core and 1375MHz for the memory, along with a quiet fan profile. Set the switch to Boost, however, and the core clock is cranked up to 930MHz. It also increases the core voltage, just in case you want to try your hand at manually overclocking the card even more.

In addition to BF3, the card comes with a CrossFire bridge cable, DVI to VGA adapter, Mini-DP to DP cable, 6-pin to 4-pin power cable, 8-pin to 4-pin x2 power cable, HDMI to SL-DVI adapter, and a 1.8 meter HDMI 1.4a cable (retail card only).

No word on price or availability.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,763
Points 40,465
Inspector replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 4:38 PM

Thats pretty neat, lots of performance in this card and the boost feature is lovely :D. Also wouldn't mind another copy of BF3 so i can play with friends that didn't want to get it on the pc... :( lol

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 4:44 PM

This is like the Sapphire HD6950 Toxic card with it's dual BIOS.

I think that it's a cool idea. Flip a switch and Boogie!

Wheee!     

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,370
Points 30,935
rrplay replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 5:00 PM

I think it's better than the Sapphire HD 6950 with the switch to boogie   way cool idea if you ask me sorta of a flexible reliable power save option too. Don't  think folks will mind rebooting to get there game on blast away.'cuz they are likely to have an SSD as a boot drive.Sure looks too like Sapphire usually includes a solid bundle with the card line-up   & the price when it becomes available is usually well worth the money.

Especially with the hottest of the year inside.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 5:18 PM

Cool as hell... This is the card I should of waited for instead of the 6950, I mean just look at it, and just look at the copy of BF3 that comes with it... The fact that Sapphire is putting that dual-BIOS switch to use means a whole lot something extra, my 6950 came with a BIOS to supposedly unlock the 6970 shaders but I guess it didn't work out well either...

In any case, Sapphire is awesome for releasing this product to the masses.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 7:25 PM

rrplay:
Don't  think folks will mind rebooting to get there game on blast away.

If it was mine, it would stay on the fast setting all of the time.

Until It Croaked,...

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:47 PM

Emoticons = Incredibly distracting, its like the comment page has turned into a short 5 second cartoon on loop

Cool graphics card though I don't understand what the point of the dual Bios is, if you can run it on the higher settings why would you ever want to have it set too the lower ones??

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630

Very nice... Does anyone know if this is a software switch or a hardware switch? If it is a hardware switch is it on the back of the card or would you need to pop your case open each time you wanted to change it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 9:40 PM

omegadraco:
Does anyone know if this is a software switch or a hardware switch?

It's a hardware switch. And you wouldn't have to worry, I doubt the card would run on 930MHz clocks 24/7 week, just one switch and the additional power is yours!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

realneil:
This is like the Sapphire HD6950 Toxic card with it's dual BIOS.

"I like *the 6950 Toxic* as well for the fact that you are getting the performance of 6970 for the price of a 6950 with the added benefits of proper power management via  6+8 pins. I like this new 6970 because it has more juice to play with and a free copy of COD killer, Battlefield 3."

"What I like most is competition, and AMD is giving Nvidia a run for there money, as a feature like unlocking cores in making its way to the Green Team side as Nvidia is making a special edition GTX 560 TI with 1.2GB of Ram that unlocks to a full GTX 570.'  

http://www.techpowerup.com/154132/Revised-GF110-based-GTX-560-Ti-On-The-Way-a-GTX-570-In-Disguise-.html

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:26 PM

This is a little different than the Sapphire HD6950 Toxic Edition.

(that one is a 6950 that has a switch to unlock it's shaders for 6970 type performance)

This card also has a switch, but it's function is not the same. It's already a HD6970 Card with all of the shaders available that you paid for. But on THIS card, the switch is for enabling a pre-programmed BIOS that's overclocked by the factory and guaranteed to work out of the box.

So, on both of these cards the BIOS switch makes them go faster, but it does it in different ways.

As I said before, I'd leave it on the faster settings ~all of the time~ and if it broke, I'd send it in for repair under the warranty.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

realneil:

This is a little different than the Sapphire HD6950 Toxic Edition.

(that one is a 6950 that has a switch to unlock it's shaders for 6970 type performance)

This card also has a switch, but it's function is not the same. It's already a HD6970 Card with all of the shaders available that you paid for. But on THIS card, the switch is for enabling a pre-programmed BIOS that's overclocked by the factory and guaranteed to work out of the box.

"I know, I was just referring to the likeness of each model.  I think that having a switch is way better than to rely on some software that may not communicate properly with the card where for example one of the most common problems is the fan not properly spinning up when the GPU processing usage is at it highest. " 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 12:21 AM

OptimusPrimeTime:
 I think that having a switch is way better than to rely on some software that may not communicate properly with the card

Yeah and the fact that it's done by the manufacturer and tested for functionality before it leaves the factory. When you buy it, it already works without you having to screw around with the BIOS and ~possibly~ brick the card.

This is huge.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 2:48 AM

Wheatley:
I think that having a switch is way better than to rely on some software that may not communicate properly with the card where for example one of the most common problems is the fan not properly spinning up when the GPU processing usage is at it highest. "

The fan thing is severely overrated, some modification to it would be well but still it's overrated. And what's with the "not communicate properly with the card stuff" Sapphire TriXX manages to work well, overclock the card and the fans settings work, so what type of "communication problems" are you talking about?

realneil:
it already works without you having to screw around with the BIOS and ~possibly~ brick the card.

Nice of Sapphire to do that, I'd love to screw around with the BIOS on my card but I have no idea on how to set the voltages (1.4v apparently does not equal 1.1v) I can set the clock speeds but not the voltages since I have no idea how to set them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630

Thanks Taylor. I would hope the thing would automatically slow down the clock speeds when not in use just to be a bit greener.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,370
Points 30,935
rrplay replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 12:30 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:
.... example one of the most common problems is the fan not properly spinning up when the GPU processing usage is at it highest. " 

Well OK Optimus made a lil ol' post and a screenshot for tweaking a fan profile with the TRiXX utility >> heating things up a bit with Furmark and monitoring the info with GPU-Z  ..Even though the card is a :SAPPHIRE HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 you can get an idea and find something that works for you   ..take  a look here

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/54045/413164.aspx#413164

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

rrplay:
Well OK Optimus made a lil ol' post and a screenshot for tweaking a fan profile with the TRiXX utility >>

"Thanks rrplay, I have a Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB and I had used Trixx before, but with mixed results, I guess because its a dual GPU card or Trixx wasn't as robust as it is today. Maybe I'll try again sometime."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 8:35 PM

OPT, no need to get personal...

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

Dave_HH:

OPT, no need to get personal...

"I really don't understand? Whats wrong?"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 10:04 PM

OptimusPrimeTime:

We don't post people's personal names here. Maybe a first name, but NEVER their last. This is understood and normal practice on most web sites where they have user made-up, sign-in names. Respecting other people's privacy is only good manners.

Please go and correct your post by taking Peter's last name down and refrain from using our member's actual last names in the future here.

(this does not apply to public figures of course)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

realneil:

OptimusPrimeTime:

We don't post people's personal names here. Maybe a first name, but NEVER their last. This is understood and normal practice on most web sites where they have user made-up, sign-in names. Respecting other people's privacy is only good manners.

Please go and correct your post by taking Peter's last name down and refrain from using our member's actual last names in the future here.

(this does not apply to public figures of course)

"Thanks for the clarification, Duly noted. It wasn't on purpose, no disrespect or harm meant. I  guess its my upbringing. I will fix it right way. I know rrplay from seeing him around Facebook and other websites due to his Avatar. I Got It."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 10:37 PM

Thank you,....enough said then.

I sure want this card, but I can't see a way to afford it yet. But my mind is working on it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

realneil:
I sure want this card, but I can't see a way to afford it yet. But my mind is working on it.

"Well , since you made you way on to Facebook, here's a chance to win an equally bad ass  Powercolor Devil 13 6970, it has the switch that overclocks it, to 960 MHz"

http://www.facebook.com/PowerColor.Europe?sk=app_28134323652

Rules:

- Be Fan of PowerColor.europe facebook page
- Invite 2 friends to participate
- Correctly anwser the question on the participation page

Hurry , Ends on October 31st 

"Good Luck:"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 11:23 PM

Thanks, I'm in

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 11:35 PM

realneil:

Well if the contest doesn't work out for you, I can give you the money for the card; if interested.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:24 AM

TaylorKarras:
realneil:

Well if the contest doesn't work out for you, I can give you the money for the card; if interested.

That's quite the offer, but I usually wait until I can just buy things myself. I'll beat the bushes and sell a few PCs soon to pay for my upgrades. Thank you for your offer Taylor.

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS