HotHardware Giving Thanks System Sweepstakes!

This post has 332 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 370
Chondro replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 4:56 PM

Awesome system!

thanks Dave and hardware providers!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 32
Points 385
Jajuka replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 5:04 PM

It's rare to see a giveaway based on PC audio. Very cool. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator

CDeeter:
Oh, and I'll gladly volunteer my time to learn all that software. A sacrifice I know, but hey someone has to! lol

Did you fill out the application for it?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 5:25 PM

In triplicate.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator

CDeeter:
In triplicate.

Good Man!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 9:20 PM

Man, that looks clean and sterile and nice... Are you sure you don't have the system upside down... :P

Also I notice that they're using a passively cooled low-end video card in there; seeing as how this is a music production system, it makes perfect sense; no one is going to want to insert noise producing graphics cards in their system when they can just leave it as default and have the silence RoxBox is known for.

That air cooler looks interesting, what type of brand is it; never seen it before.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 85
IOlsen replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 9:58 PM

LOL! Will do Dave!

It's a nice prize this time.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 11:37 AM

Yes the closure does look relatively small especially compared to what many of us are used to working with, in , and seeing. I would say though they way is is laid out with the inverted MB reversed PSU etc the heat transfer is set up like a straight through which can also be very effective when done right as it looks like this is most definitely so. We will hear or see sooner or later from the testing.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 12:36 PM

LOL....one does try!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50
turkeyfox replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 12:46 PM

Pretty sure I won't win but you can always dream can't you.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Sweet=)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 1:59 PM

Damn that picture is nice. It's pretty colorful hahaha

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
modrzj replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:03 PM

Crossing my fingers!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

TaylorKarras:
That air cooler looks interesting, what type of brand is it; never seen it before.

It looks custom to me. The PSU connection is custom as well if you notice their is black insulated set of wires that goes to the back bottom of it for the power connector.

Dave any chance we can get a higher resolution image Stick out tongue

This is definitely what I would call a drool over system.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 8:57 AM

omegadraco:

TaylorKarras:

It looks custom to me. The PSU connection is custom as well if you notice their is black insulated set of wires that goes to the back bottom of it for the power connector.

Dave any chance we can get a higher resolution image Stick out tongue

This is definitely what I would call a drool over system.

I will be teasing more in the days ahead! Cool

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 285
elkhorn replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 10:19 AM

I just wanted to check in today

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 285
elkhorn replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 10:28 AM

My Grandkids are gaming fanatics!!! Would love to win for all of us...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 11:09 AM

This whole case is backwards if you look at it the default opening side of a case in general is on the opposite side of the one from the pictures. Those wires also do not really seem to be in the optimal or at least best organized route to me. I really hope Marco can fix that for whoever wins it before they ship it!

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 11:15 AM

Oh and for anyone wanting to win this for gaming? This is not a gaming PC, it is a sound workstation, and a Radeon 5450 would need to be replace for gaming. It does have 16 GB of ram but that ram is 1300 mhz DDR 3 which is not really gaming ram either. Go on Newegg and look for ram making gaming a prerec you won't get any 1333 DDR3 I don't think. This PC is a very nice sound workstation or even a studio backbone PC.

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 11:34 AM

rapid1:

Oh and for anyone wanting to win this for gaming? This is not a gaming PC, it is a sound workstation, and a Radeon 5450 would need to be replace for gaming. It does have 16 GB of ram but that ram is 1300 mhz DDR 3 which is not really gaming ram either. Go on Newegg and look for ram making gaming a prerec you won't get any 1333 DDR3 I don't think. This PC is a very nice sound workstation or even a studio backbone PC.

Agreed.

I already have a gaming PC so I'm defiantly going to use this as an audio workstation... I mean this thing has the silence and audio equipment most people would want if they'd wanted to record professionally... I already have a pretty good X-Fi sound card and I don't know what I'd do with it if the machine came with a comparable or better sound card but for the most part, this machine looks pretty sweet.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 1:52 PM

Yeah I was wondering about the sound card too Taylor. I don't see one mentioned in the specs, nor can I see one installed in the pic Dave posted. Do you think it's running the integrated audio from the motherboard?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 2:00 PM

Judging by the photo, it looks like this motherboard -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128507

It has an Realtek ALC889 8 channel chip on board. Realtek has this to say about this chip -

http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=173

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Novulux replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 4:40 PM

This may potentially save me a costly upgrade.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 5:08 PM

CDeeter:

It has an Realtek ALC889 8 channel chip on board. Realtek has this to say about this chip -

http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=173

Realtek provides decent onboard sound but for a machine like this, a dedicated sound card is really needed.

My motherboard supposedly has more advanced (as in supports more frequencies/ranges) onboard sound but I'm still a bit weary about using that...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator

I think it will sound fine.

A lot has to do with the speakers you use when playing back sound.  Studio Monitor Speakers reproduce sound exactly as it's put into them. They are not really all that expensive either.

Consider that if one were to invest in a Digital Capable Amp/Receiver and use the Fiber-Optic digital output from the motherboard to the Amp, you could pump TRUE Digital sound to a set of Studio Monitor Speakers and RULE baby! The PC is a big, capable Digital Sound Processor with a lot of cool software on it.

So no, no extra sound card is really needed, and having one would probably ~degrade~ the sound a little compared to pure digital output..

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 8:48 PM

This is an audio production system, folks.  It's also whisper quiet for the studio.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 12:14 AM

realneil:
Consider that if one were to invest in a Digital Capable Amp/Receiver and use the Fiber-Optic digital output from the motherboard to the Amp, you could pump TRUE Digital sound to a set of Studio Monitor Speakers and RULE baby! The PC is a big, capable Digital Sound Processor with a lot of cool software on it.

Interesting... I don't have a pair of those speakers but it seems interesting to try, if only to see the difference between analog and digital sound...

I don't think it matters much if you use analog or digital sound really, both will sound the same to me... If I'm wrong then feel free to list why digital sound is better then analog sound. (the digital output vs the jacks.)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 110

I am new but hope to contribute. that is a nice computer.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator

The sounds that you produce on a PC are digital in nature to begin with. Process them through a sound card and into speakers and you've converted them to an analog format before playing them. You lose a little sound definition through the conversion process.

This PC goes into digital sound creation in a huge way. It has a huge library of digital samples already on it and tools to process those samples in many ways. It is working in digital format and it's output is digital too. It only stands to reason that pure digital reproduction of sound from the PC to the speakers would work better, and sound better...especially on "Studio Monitor" Speakers.

It's important to note that Studio Monitor speakers are not huge wall thumpers. They're usually compact size, but they are rated Studio grade due to their ability to reproduce sounds accurately. Separate sub-woofers provide the thump.

I have four JBL Studio Monitor speakers and two Digital Amps here, one is made by ONKYO, and the other by Sherwood.

Another thing, when you see a newer movie, the sound and all of the effects you're hearing is all digital sound. If you're using an HDMI cable to your Receiver or TV, then you're already enjoying digital sound.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 8:10 AM

ironleg1963:

Hi ironleg1963 & Welcome to HH  Smileyou are absolutely right ! this is a tight rig man ! No doubt that it is quiet n cCooll  and the bundled software that is included is sure to get anyone started or supplement all there musical endeavors for quite some time.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator

ironleg1963:

Welcome to HotHardware ironleg1963.

This really is a great place to hang your hat.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 10:11 AM

Thanks for joining us. Hope you have fun here, we sure do!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 12:38 PM

ironleg1963:

Welcome... Really hope you contribute something to the community, this is a nice place to hang out and all.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,000
Points 14,435
Manduh replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 3:41 PM

If I ever feel well enough to sit at my desk I want to post a pic of our current recording studio setup. Not sure if that will happen before this contest ends though.

I've been showing the bf some specs on this system, with the included software and he is definitely impressed! It would be nice to have a new system to hook all his equipment up to, including his Line 6 HD500 pod, keyboard and his mixer. It would definitely be a lot better than our beastly old Dell running XP LoL. He's not as big of a computer 'geek' as me for specs and hardware, but when it comes to his recording he knows his stuff and knows what he needs.. He says he needs this Rok Box hahaha. It's even better than the one he was looking at a few months back.

I was wondering though, Dave or Marco, any idea how much duty/taxes would come to if a Canadian won? (Ontario). It would be good to know in advance ;) lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 4:13 PM

Like what? :D I've been here a little bit but I just hang out. Is that good?

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 285
elkhorn replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 8:23 PM

Checkin in today to read blogs & comments

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

This system certainly will not be the hare... It is going to say you bet your sweet a... I'm a turtle.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 8:19 AM

Manduh:
I've been showing the bf some specs on this system, with the included software and he is definitely impressed! It would be nice to have a new system to hook all his equipment up to, including his Line 6 HD500 pod, keyboard and his mixer. It would definitely be a lot better than our beastly old Dell running XP LoL. He's not as big of a computer 'geek' as me for specs and hardware, but when it comes to his recording he knows his stuff and knows what he needs.. He says he needs this Rok Box hahaha. It's even better than the one he was looking at a few months back.

So we got four musicians wanting this thing... It'd be a great surprise if you won this and gave it to your boyfriend, I mean he'd certainly know what to do with it if he knows his stuff with recording...

If you do win and he does get it, make sure to tell him to post what he made on the machine here, so we can hear what it sounds like to make music on the RoxBox.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 9:03 AM

Yup with a i7, 16 GB ram, an SSD and 3 7200 rpm drives, it's def ready for the long haul.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,114
Points 11,290
CDeeter replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 9:06 AM

" So we got four musicians wanting this thing "

That's cool! This is one of the things I love about these contests - finding out more about each other. Who knew we had this many musicians in our little community Smile. Really hope one of us wins this puppy, and like you said gotta post a song made with it.

Hey Manduh ask the bf to post something he's done, would love to hear it.

Page 4 of 9 (333 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS