OCZ Stomps Out SandForce BSOD Bug with Firmware Update

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,323
Points 1,190,730
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 18 2011 3:56 PM
OCZ just made available new firmware that's supposed to fix a handful of stability issues with certain SandForce-based solid state drives (SSDs). Affected SSDs include the Vertex 3 series, Vertex 3 Max IOPS series, Agility 3 series, and Solid 3 series.

According to the release notes, the firmware addresses the following:
  • Fixed a rare condition that may cause Windows Blue Screen error when the primary-configured drive woke up from either a SATA slumber mode or S3/S4 modes.
  • Fixed a rare condition that may cause Windows Blue Screen error when the drive was configured as primary with OS installed.
  • Fixed a corner-case issue that may cause the drive to stutter or Windows freezing screen when a media read error occurred.
  • Further improved robustness of Secure Erase operation to prevent possible low-level data structure corruption.
  • Significantly improved TRIM handling to enhance system stability.

Anyone who has experienced a BSOD with one of the affected models is encouraged to upgrade the firmware. You should also keep an eye on your SSD's manufacturer's website for an update if you own a non-OCZ with a SandForce SF-2000 series chipset. Apparently the stability issues extend to all SF-2000 SSDs.

• | Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"This is one of the things that scares me about having the OS installed on a SSD. But one day I'll make the transition, love the speeds, but Intel Smart R could be a more comfortable situation. There is also that Caching SSD from OCZ as well. Waiting for that review here."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 6:03 PM

Run it like I do I have an OS SSD drive and 2 standard HD's behind it running in RAID 1 right now. I would rather have 3 running in RAID 5 for the added performance on the data drive side as well. The big thing is the OS runs on top of everything and everything therefore runs through the OS. So the performance increase is felt across the board. Especially with one of the SATA3 or even a PCI-E SSD (being that mine is neither and I can tell the difference) and there performance levels. So even if the SSD does go out you have a full back up on one of the standard HD's and lose no data.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 6:06 PM

I don't know and SSD as an OS drive seems optimum to me really especially considering everything runs through the OS and will therefore gain from the added performance of the SSD. Just grab a couple standard HD's which are cheap as dirt and run them in raid for the performance gain there.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 6:39 PM

Plus there is the whole "reliability" question and all. I mean if an SSD maker is willing to make an MLC SSD that has the lifespan of an SLC SSD then I might put my OS on my SSD full-time. As it is, I choose reliability over speed.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Thanks, I know now who to seek for further advice if I would opt for the options you mentioned. "

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Good going OCZ on fixing these problems.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Good news if more people are to jump on board the SSD train.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 10:55 PM

Done :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,681
Points 104,280
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 11:51 PM

I have one of these drives, but there has never been an issue with it.

i'll flash it anyway.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
dvsman replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 9:29 AM

SSD reliability I don't think is even an issue anymore - outside of firmware bugs by the manufacturer. Once you get passed initial setup - have everything up and running - it should be all good.

I've run Samsung PM800s (3 x256gb of them) in both single and raid configurations as boot drive. Never a problem. While they weren't the fastest of their generation, they were the best bang for the buck. Now I'm testing out a latest generation Crucial M4 and it is amazingly fast. Faster than two of my 1st Gen Samsungs in RAID 0 and for less money. If you are worried about long term reliability - do like I have done - run a standard SATA HD in parallel and keep all your important data on that (or offload it to a NAS).

It only takes a couple of minutes to reinstall windows on an SSD so I don't even mind having to blank and reinstall the OS anymore - since I normally do it so many times anyway (such as when changing mobos or other major bits of hardware).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 11:50 AM

I'm glad that I stalled for some reason when it came to buying an OCZ SSD. I think that I'll wait a little longer & get the OCZ Vertex with the updated firmware.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 600
gloriad1 replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 12:03 PM

Here to! I'm glad that I'm a slow adopter of new tech, even though it is not that new the SSD's that is. I still use the good old HDD's and will for some time to come.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,681
Points 104,280
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 6:33 PM

dvsman:
If you are worried about long term reliability - do like I have done - run a standard SATA HD in parallel and keep all your important data on that

I keep an extra WD Black 1TB drive in all of my computers for data storage. I've been buying 1.5TB Seagate drives over the past few months and I'm almost ready to get a NAS box for them. I need space for 6 drives.

As to reliability, SSD's are working without problems for me here. I have one SATA-II and two SATA-III drives so far. I just flashed the OCZ Solid SATA-III drive without any problems. The time to hesitate buying into SSD's is over. Get what you can afford to get and use them. They are awesome.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS