Microsoft Closes $8.5 Billion Skype Acquisition Deal

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,846
Points 1,114,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Oct 15 2011 10:57 AM
Welp, it's official. Microsoft and Skype are one. Well, Skype isn't alone in this world any longer, anyway. While this deal was announced months back, there has been plenty of work in the time being to ensure all the legalities were ironed out. Now, Microsoft has closed its acquisition of Skype, locking in an $8.5 billion payment that was led by investor group Silver Lake. According to the companies, Microsoft and Skype will remain focused on their shared goal of connecting all people across all devices and accelerating both companies' efforts to transform real-time communications for consumers and enterprise customers. The completion of the acquisition also marks the official introduction of Skype as a new business division within Microsoft.

Skype CEO Tony Bates will assume the title of president of the Skype Division of Microsoft immediately, reporting directly to Ballmer. The Skype division will continue to offer its current products to millions of users globally. Longer term, Skype will also be integrated across an array of Microsoft products to broaden Skype's reach and accelerate its growth as a fundamental way people communicate online. Skype employees will continue to be located around the world in offices including Estonia, the Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Luxembourg, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, and the United States.

Tony's naturally a happy man. Have a listen at just how happy below.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 450
KreepyK replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 9:33 AM

He really seems quite the happy man. I'm not sure how happy will still be after he starts reporting to Ballmer. I really don't know much about Ballmer but one thing for sure I know, whenever I watch that guy talking I get depressed and feel the end of the world is approaching.

That aside, I think this is a really clever move from Microsoft. If they could implement the video conferencing, messaging and calling features of Skype in Windows phones seamlessly it could be a big win for everyone . Turning carriers into merely data providers (which what they really are) an addition of course to being able to call from any avialable internet connection.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 10:50 AM

Now can we make those outdated Microsoft monopoly jokes?

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,422
Points 102,050
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 12:33 PM

TaylorKarras:
Now can we make those outdated Microsoft monopoly jokes?

"We are the BORG! And we will assimilate you!"

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Mon, Oct 17 2011 10:57 AM

Another take over by Microsoft, they're doing it quite often.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS