Here's to the Craziest of the "Crazy Ones." Farewell, Steve

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,856
Points 1,115,370
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Oct 8 2011 3:21 PM
It's unclear to us why the death of Steve Jobs has hit us hard. We never knew him personally.  We love Android and hate the iOS closed model.  Despite that, while watching the videos when writing this, we would tear up, occasionally.  Is it because his age isn't that far off of ours?   Whatever the reason, farewell, Steve.

"Think Different" was an advertising slogan created for Apple Computer in 1997 by the Los Angeles office of advertising agency TBWA\Chiat\Day. And, when one "thinks" about it, it's a good description for the mindset of Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who died on Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2011, at the age of 56.

Jobs brought Apple back from the brink of bankruptcy. He changed a arguably irrelevant computer company into a consumer electronics company that also makes computers (if you didn't know, it used to be Apple Computers, and is now just Apple). He turned that same company into a company dueling with Exxon Mobil for the title as most valuable company in the world, by market cap.

He made MP3 players work, though now all anyone thinks of when they think of an MP3 player is the iPod. He turned the smartphone from a niche device into a must-have. And he took a market segment that no one was able to successful fill, and filled it with the iPad, the device that, at least for now, is what most people think of when they think "tablet."

The "Think Different," commercial, also known as "Here's to the Crazy Ones," aired in two different forms on television, but there was also one, never-aired version.  The idea, of course, was that the "Crazy Ones" thought differently.

The two versions that aired were narrated by actor Richard Dreyfuss. The original, one-minute version featured black-and-white footage of 17 iconic 20th century personalities. They were, in order of appearance: Albert Einstein; Bob Dylan; Martin Luther King, Jr.; Richard Branson; John Lennon and Yoko Ono; Buckminster Fuller; Thomas Edison; Muhammad Ali; Ted Turner; Maria Callas; Mahatma Gandhi; Amelia Earhart; Alfred Hitchcock; Martha Graham; Jim Henson and Kermit the Frog; Frank Lloyd Wright; and Pablo Picasso. The commercial ends with an image of a young girl (identified as Shaan Sahota) opening her closed eyes, as though she had been making a wish.

The second, thirty-second version used 11 of the original 17 personalities, but closed with Jerry Seinfeld instead of the young girl. For the shortened version, in order of appearance: Albert Einstein; Bob Dylan; Martin Luther King, Jr.; John Lennon; Martha Graham; Muhammad Ali; Alfred Hitchcock; Mahatma Gandhi; Jim Henson and Kermit the Frog; Maria Callas; and Pablo Picasso. This version only aired once, during the series finale of Seinfeld.

The text of the ad, with the part omitted in the shortened version in italics, was:

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

The unaired version was narrated by Steve Jobs himself. It was never aired on television. Perhaps it should, with ... instead of the young girl, an image of Steve Jobs. It would be a fitting tribute, and we would love to see it.

You can watch the versions below: original first, Seinfeld version, and Jobs's version.

Truly, we've lost one of the Craziest of the Crazy Ones.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sun, Oct 9 2011 4:51 PM

I will tell you why directly, and it is not like anyone abreast of technology does not know anyway. I do not use an iPod, iPhone, iPad, but if they would not have seen the widespread critical success they did much in today's world would be different. If it were not for the iPod and then iTunes, well music/media would not be distributed as it currently is, if not for the iPhone Android would not be where it is if it even existed in the same capacity as it does today, the general breadth of mobile goods and entertainment or materials was given another leg to stand on by the iPad if it gets 4 (IE: Android slate who's market was given birth by the iPad in all reality (no not developmentally but in consumer market strength) it will be a true beast. The thing is Steve Jobs was a visionary he saw things in a different way than others did. He also had one of the first personal technology companies specifically to develop these ideas as his own.

SO I may not use his products, I may not even like there proprietary nature which is very true. However the amount of devices born because of the competition he initialized and the media to fill those devices is still Steve Jobs baby/creation, at least in many ways. It would not have I do not believe existed without him, his vision, his creativity and the things that came from those creations.

The PC even; Come on was a TRS-80, or an Amiga easy to use, well no, but it had hearty competition at the time from who Apple! Because of the competition the device field grew. Would IBM have continued and made the PC open at least as it was at that time for communal development without Apple, well no it would not have. Would arcanet have developed into the internet if that had not happened, well the answer is again no. Did he create everything? No he did not but it takes a spark to start a fire and Steve Jobs at least to the way I see it was that Spark.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

I could not have said it better myself Rapid1... hopefully there will be someone else to take his place and continue igniting the fire.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 350
Points 2,325
HHGrrl replied on Wed, Oct 12 2011 10:46 AM

Well put, Rapid1. I may not be an iOS user, but I do appreciate the "spark" Steve and his ideas brought to our world.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS