McAfee's Crash Happy Add-On for Firefox Lands on Blocked List

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,846
Points 1,114,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:46 PM
Firefox has had its share of problems over the years, the biggest (and most persistent) one being the well documented memory leak. Some suffer from it, others don't. But frequent crashes? If you happen to be experiencing those, check your add-ons, and specifically look for McAfee's SecureScan. According to Mozilla, McAfee's plug-in is known to misbehave and "causes a high volume of crashes." This behavior landed the add-on on Mozilla's 'Blocklist.'

"Users are strongly encouraged to disable the problematic add-on or plugin, but may choose to continue using it if they accept the risks described," Mozilla said in a statement. "When Mozilla becomes aware of add-ons, plugins, or other third-party software that seriously compromises Firefox security, stability, or performance and meets certain criteria, the software may be blocked from general use. For more information, please read this support article."

The blockage has sparked a discussion on McAfee's support forum and from reading the comments, it looks like only Firefox is affected. Intel, which purchased McAfee not long ago, is working on a fix. In the meantime, surf with caution if you've come to rely on the SecureScan add-on, or hop in another browser as you cruise the Web until this gets sorted out.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

"They should add Adobe Flash to the Block List, its the biggest Offender "

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:58 PM

Wheatley:
"They should add Adobe Flash to the Block List, its the biggest Offender "

Man... I am tired of you complaining about Adobe Flash. We get it, it doesn't work for you... Well I don't see other people in this forum complaining about how it doesn't work, just you.

*sigh* Sorry... It's just, well annoying. I have Flash and it hasn't crashed my browser severely as yours.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845

Using Google Chrome, I don't get crashes from Flash at all. Period. On the other hand, I'd give up Web surfing completely if I had to rely on McAfee for anything, it's total crap.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Not surprised at all at the Mcafee add on not playing nicely with Firefox. I have also had the same type of stability issues with it working on peoples machines who use IE and the Mcafee add on. The only issue I have with Adobe Flash is that it is a huge memory hog when running flash apps. 1GB of memory used to be plenty for websurfing and other similar tasks and now with flash apps it does not even touch it.

Can't wait until HTML 5 kills all of the extra plugins.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
TOXiNZ replied on Thu, Oct 6 2011 6:36 AM

OptimusPrimeTime

black bars , menus disappearing , text on pages disappearing, System wide graphics malfunction ?

TURN OFF hardware acceleration in flash. Default is ON.

Flash will access your graphics card and try to use it's resources. This is usually the flash crash.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS