Google's Chrome Skyrocketing Up The Charts, Could Overtake Firefox Soon

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,230
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Oct 3 2011 11:04 AM
Is Google's Web browser about to push Mozilla's power house out of the #2 overall browser slot? Perhaps. StatCounter's newest browser data is suggesting that Chrome could take over the #2 spot, a spot that Firefox currently holds, as early as this December if user trends continue in the direction they're heading. Google obviously has a huge name, and that name has helped them draw a huge amount of attention toward their browser. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Chrome just so happens to be a fantastic performer, and Mozilla's Firefox has suffered memory hog issues (amongst other things) for a few releases now.

StatCounter's data, which tracks browser usage, found that Chrome's global average user share for September was 23.6%, while Firefox's stood at 26.8%. Internet Explorer, still the leader, was at 41.6%. That's a crazy trio of figures when you consider that Chrome didn't even exist a couple of years ago, and Internet Explorer once held the lion's share of this market. Chrome has been skyrocketing up the ranks as more and more people try out a browser from a name they trust, with the stats showing a 50% increase in Chrome usage since the start of 2011. Meanwhile, Firefox has dropped during that period (four percentage points, give or take), while IE has fallen around four points as well.

In other words, all of those people leaving Firefox and IE are evidently siding with Chrome. Will the trend continue? Can anything stop Google's browser dominance? Should IE be scared? All this and more on the next episode of Stats of Our Lives.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Oct 3 2011 12:39 PM

Well it's obvious that the people using Chrome love it for it's speed and it's performance but it lacks one thing that Firefox has; 64-bit support. Plus I am more accustomed to the Firefox browser and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything that Chrome has. Plus the add-ons for Firefox is amazing.

For me to switch to Chrome, it has to both amaze me and release a 64-bit version for us Windows users.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I"m with @Taylor, I rock firefox and have been happy with it for a long time. I can feel the speed increase going from 6 to 7, very nice. I do use Chrome as my webkit browser though, I hate that ff doesn't support some codecs and html5 animations. As long as I don't have to use IE or Safari I'm a happy camper with either Chrome or Firefox.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I agree with Taylor.. I have used Firefox for quite a while and have not had any issues with it so I see no reason to move to Chrome.

Also I just have to put this dig in... Not if MSE has anything to do with it Stick out tongue

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Chrome is the best to me. I have been running it since it came out a few years back. My thinking was if Google makes the best search engine they should be good as a browser and they have not let me down.

I love it and think the trend will continue in Chromes favor.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:34 AM

Chrome is the bomb, thought i still keep firefox pinned to my task bar just in case. Chrome to phone is one of my fav features for chrome.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS