Sony Could Stop Paying For 3D Glasses... Will You Pick Up The Tab?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Oct 2 2011 8:29 PM
Could the days of free 3D glasses at the cinema be numbered? Perhaps. As with most things trying hard to break into a market, Sony's movie studio had been footing the bill for the 3D glasses that were being distributed before 3D films. Seeing a 3D flick already cost more than a 2D flick, leaving many feeling as if those "free" glasses weren't so free after all. But even with the increased rates, the studio is still not pleased. In an effort to grab every last cent they can, Sony Pictures has reportedly suggested in letters sent to some American theater owners that they won't be paying for the glasses starting next May.

The alternative? They're suggesting a "guest ownership model," which is already widely used in Europe and Australia. Those markets charge moviegoers separately for the glasses, and then they encourage them to bring them along the next time they visit. It makes sense, and it's probably far greener, but it's always hard to institute that kind of change when you have already conditioned patrons to expect glasses to be there for them upon return. It also makes a spur-of-the-moment moviegoing experience easier, since you didn't have to "remember" to bring along your 3D glasses.

Sony Pictures spokesman Steve Elzer stated the following: "There are constructive ways to deal with the cost of 3-D glasses that will not adversely impact consumers and can also help the environment." Regal CEO Amy Miles sees things differently: ""To the extent that Sony seeks to change the current model in a manner that shifts costs to exhibitors, we would be forced to evaluate this new economic model and program our screens accordingly."

Either way, it's a blow for 3D in America. Consumers were already paying more, but for what? If they now have to pay even more for the glasses -- well, that's just getting ridiculous, or at least we bet that's how most moviegoers will see it.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Oct 3 2011 12:26 AM

Well... I still have a pair of 3D glasses; therefore I don't have to buy a pair of 3D glasses.

In any case, this is a major blow; I mean the cost of 3D is already high as it is and I thought that the cost of 3D movies covered the glasses, I guess it didn't. Sony's decision is likely to further the theory that 3D is just a gimmick, that it's not a serious cinematic revolution; because now we're being forced to pay more for 3D then we did before.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Mon, Oct 3 2011 6:18 AM

Which cinemas are they.Wink I'm here in Australia & I've seen none of these guest 3D glasses yet.Wink Like in the U.S.A., I have to pay more to watch a 3D than a 2D film anyway. When you pay for your ticket, you get the 3D glasses straight away also at the same time. The 3D glasses are sealed in a plastic wrap with some round air hole vents on the plastic itself.  Personally myself, I will continue watching those 3D movies, but to a lesser extent if they bring it in here what they're going to do in the U.S.A.Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

At a $4 dollar premium where I live for 3D I find this ridiculous. Most places ask that you drop the glasses in a box at the end up the movie for recycling at the end of the show anyways. Which basically means they sterilize them and put them in plastic bags again. At one show I went to they were literally forcing people to leave the glasses and questioning people who did not drop them in the box (in my case my wife dropped three pairs in the box) and they were yelling at me and another friend who were behind her for not leaving the glasses.

Disney world does the same thing they simply take the glasses and run them through a sterilization process and don't even package them so the movie theaters should adopt the same principles.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Mon, Oct 3 2011 11:22 AM

I wouldn't go see a 3D movie anyhow, so it makes no difference to me. And I won't go see *any* Sony picture. Boycotting all Sony products forever is the only;y way I have to punish them for distributing PC viruses on consumer audio CDs. If a private citizen had done that, they'd be in jail until Hell freezes over, but Sony got a light slap on the wrist because they're a Megacorporation.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

I'll just stay with 2D then... lol.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS