Firefox 8 Beta with Twitter Search Now Available for Download

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,393
Points 1,192,595
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Oct 2 2011 3:55 PM
No sooner did Mozilla release its Firefox 7 browser to the public in final form, the browser maker has now made available the next version in beta trim. Such is the way it goes with Mozilla's recently adopted rapid release schedule. Should you rush out and grab the Firefox 8 beta before the paint has even had a chance to dry on FF7?

To help you answer that question, let's take a quick look at what's new in FF8:
  • Twitter Search: The new build adds Twitter as a default search option, so if you're heavy into the microblogging service and keeping up with the latest social networking trends, this could be a valuable addition to your day-to-day surfing. Otherwise, no big deal.
  • Restore Tabs on Demand: FF8 lets you choose to load tabs only when selected to help speed up start-up times when lots of tabs are restored.
  • Improved Add-On Controls: FF8 users receive a one-time notification to review and confirm third-party add-ons they want to keep, disable, or delete.
  • Tab Animations: Not a groundbreaking feature by any means, but it supposedly makes tearing off and re-ordering tabs easier with animated tab movement.

Mozilla also added WebSocket updates, support for an HTML5 native right-click menus, and various HTML5 media elements. The big benefit here is for developers who want to add a bunch of audio and video tidbits without neutering performance.

If you'd rather not play around with beta code, you won't have to wait very long for Firefox 8 to go gold. It's currently scheduled to go live November 8, 2011.

• | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 180
akumu replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 5:10 PM

The twitter search option certainly sounds interesting, I will have to try it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:11 PM

So when does FF-23 come out then?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 1,430
Xylem replied on Mon, Oct 3 2011 12:54 AM

Why is Mozilla in a hurry? Who wants a new browser upgrade every month? I was way happy when 3.0 came out then forced onto 4.0 and before u realize its 6.x and now 8.x ! WT Hell is happening here! This hurried release cycle is somewhat reducing the interest in FF.

Travel Rig |Acer Aspire One - ZG5 Mods so far |Toshiba MK4009GAL 40GB.4 - port USB HUB with BT, Touchscreen & GPS. 1GB RAM upgrade. | 

Main Rig |Core 2 Quad Q6600(3.2GHz), 2x2GB OCZ Reaper 800 MHz RAM, 19" AOC 913FW, 2 x 500GB WD HDD & 2 x 1TB WD Green, nVIDIA 8600GT 1GB

Suzuki Swift GTi | 2008 Version | Lots of mods in pipeline.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I always used Firefox to be my Nr. 1 Browser, I was really happy that they are releasing SOO much Updates in the last time, but I remained very disappointed. I waited for Mac OS X Lion support already since Firefox 4. 4 Releases after, still no support for our new lovely Operating System.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Mon, Oct 3 2011 6:05 AM

I'm not really into twitter, although Fire Fox 8 beta would be quite interesting to download.Wink I'm also not interested in any social networks either.Cool

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

There really is no need for a social network to be integrated directly into a browser. This is something that should be handled by plugins (which I would be fine if FF developed) so those of us who don't care don't have to have it.

Firefox has not increased the speed of their update cycle, all they really did was change the way their version numbering system worked.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,917
Points 24,670
digitaldd replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:31 AM

I have Nightly 10.0a at home. Use it from Time to time. Seems like FF is just trying to catch up to Chrome in version number. We should have 8 before the end of the year and 9 sometime in Q1 2012..

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS