Verizon Files Appeal To FCC Imposition of 'Net Neutrality' Rules

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,715
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Oct 1 2011 7:52 PM
Much like the AT&T / T-Mobile USA merger, we knew that there was no way in the world that any new "net neutrality" rules would fly into law without a little friction. Verizon Communications has stepped up to the plate, not ashamed to make a public front against the looming FCC imposition of those very rules. This week, the company filed an appeal in the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit of the Federal Communications Commission's December 2010 Report and Order (FCC 10-201) adopting so-called "net neutrality" rules. The following statement should be attributed to Michael E. Glover, Verizon senior vice president and deputy general counsel:

"Verizon is fully committed to an open Internet. We are deeply concerned by the FCC's assertion of broad authority to impose potentially sweeping and unneeded regulations on broadband networks and services and on the Internet itself. We believe this assertion of authority is inconsistent with the statute and will create uncertainty for the communications industry, innovators, investors and consumers."

We doubt that Verizon is the only carrier who is balking at new rules that would impact how they're able to serve, and potentially, what kind of content is allowed to flow freely. Something tells us we're in for a long, long haul on this one, but it's worth fighting for; the Internet has changed the world in a million positive ways, and it's important to think through how we regulate it, and how ISPs do or don't have control over it.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 29,610

Well we all knew this was coming... They vowed to fight net net neutrality rules from the moment they began talks about them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 180
akumu replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 10:13 PM

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 10:07 AM

Yes! It will be interesting to see what the eventual outcome will be. I believe also that there will be other companies interested in these proceedings.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 14,240
Manduh replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 12:02 PM

I definitely expect more companies to publicly get involved in this as well. I just wonder how quick they will jump on board.

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Regulate the heck out of the telecoms and split up some of them. That will assure net neutrality.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Mon, Oct 3 2011 9:58 AM

Yeah; Java1959 it is really quite sad that most major countries in the world have a better communications backbone than America does. Of course I am pretty sure it is largely because of the current political system we have. I saw an article title asking what type of financial status we are in now with ??? as an answer. Financially the world as a whole is in a period of transition I believe. Things of this and the At&t/Tmobile thing, the current taxes in this country, and because of that or lack thereof some of the financial problems the US, Europe etc are facing now.

This is just one of the hurdles but it is an important one I am almost positive the current political system will most likely butcher just like everything they touch now whether it be democrats, republican, tea party, independent, or libertarian.

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Oct 3 2011 12:35 PM

While I am somewhat on board with the Net Neutrality rules (the only thing I mostly disagree on is the copyright rules.) It is going to be interesting to see how this'll pan out.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS