Amazon To Buy Palm?

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 30 2011 10:38 AM
According to a report by VentureBeat, Amazon is in serious talks to buy/rescue Palm from HP. Apparently (and unsurprisingly, in the wake of HP’s killing off of the TouchPad), HP is trying to unload Palm, a $1.2 billion acquisition from a year and a half ago that has gone nowhere fast.

Amazon, or whoever eventually ends up landing Palm, will likely paid a whole lot less than that.

The acquisition would be an intriguing one for Amazon, which just announced the Android-based Kindle Fire to much acclaim. It’s possible that Amazon could retool Palm’s webOS and have itself an alternative to Android for its future mobile devices, which could be an interesting little shakeup for the mobile market.

The Android platform is absolutely dominating the mobile right now, and a little more competition would, as always, be a healthy thing.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 12:48 PM

I'd really doubt they do it. I mean right now the Android devices are doing well and they're supporting Android with their own store. Amazon getting into the software manufacturing business is interesting but I really doubt that Amazon should even produce software in the first place. Their medium is shopping, tablets and audiobooks.

If it does go through then I will be genuinely surprised.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 2:27 PM

If Amazon can run Palm the way they have handled kindle, i would be willing to take the plunge.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"The programming team behind the Kindle Fire's interface and integration with Android did a heck of a job, I don't think that Amazon has much reason to go after the Palm OS."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 4:35 PM

If Amazon gets it cheap enough, than they will acquire it. Though I doubt whether it will be a total success after a while. I think amazon will do the el cheapo route & nothing more. People will love the el cheapo products, but that is all it will be, just a dirt el cheapo version of a once good enough product. Parts & all will be cheap, operations in china will be run down also to even be more el cheapo labour than the rest of china. Like their operations in the U.S. are with their employees complaining about heat & conditions plus quite low pay.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 7:10 PM

I wouldnt. I dont even understand why Palm is still around. I mean really. Amazon pumped out a more successful piece of hardware/software than A HARDWARE/software company. They are fine without them

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 992
Points 14,260
Manduh replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 7:37 PM

Is it just me or is HP actually getting rid of a lot of products???? Eventually after all the unloading, HP will end up with just printers and ink. Maybe that's their goal?

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Perfect... Just the idea of this made my day! Go for it Amazon! Great idea!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 1:53 AM

I agree I don't know if the HP touchpad scare has them thinking all of their products need to go or what. But I have been noticing that too lately.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 436
Points 3,395
LLeCompte replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 12:27 PM

the sad thing i think palm is dead for good now. HP could have done so much with it, but just like everything else, they screwed it up. HP as a company right now seems to be very disorganized and headed the wrong way. Amazon should just stick to its guns and use android because its not like they paid for have android on their tablet anyway.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 2:07 PM

LLeCompte:

the sad thing i think palm is dead for good now. HP could have done so much with it, but just like everything else, they screwed it up. HP as a company right now seems to be very disorganized and headed the wrong way. Amazon should just stick to its guns and use android because its not like they paid for have android on their tablet anyway.

They're going to, I mean the software they developed for their kindles works well; the Android OS they're working works well and the Kindle Fire is also doing well. Buying palm would gain them access to webOS and a couple of device patents but what are they going to do with it, are they going to develop a new Kindle with webOS, are they going to license webOS to other companies and develop updates for it, are they going to try to make it mainstream? (HP did try to make webOS mainstream by placing it on their printers, which I think is still a good idea.)

At the end of the day, Amazon would have a hard time trying to adjust to such a new business. I mean most of their staff is assigned to work on the website and a small number are assigned to work on the Kindle tablets and the software behind it. Amazon doesn't have the need nor the means to buy Palm and turn it back around; again, they're not a software developer, they're an online merchant/tablet manufacturer.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS