Toshiba Launches Funky Laptop for Kids

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,197
Points 1,186,505
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 28 2011 1:47 PM
Toshiba's new Satellite L735D laptop isn't going to win any beauty contests, nor is it trying to. The slime green (or booger green, if you prefer that visual) accents are meant to appeal to kids, which is the target audience here. From a design standpoint, the L735D looks like the love child of a regular Satellite notebook and a LeapFrog, though decidedly more high tech than the latter.

Kids will probably love it though, and that's all that matters. Well, that the spec sheet. Here's what we know so far about the L735D:
  • 13.3-inch widescreen display with a 1300x708 resolution
  • AMD E-300 processor (1.3GHz)
  • 320GB Storage
  • Two USB ports
  • Built-in webcam
  • Wipeable keyboard
Nothing earth shattering, but totally respectable for a kid-oriented machine that's more powerful (and bigger) than a standard netbook. It also comes with a handful of apps, including Internet for Kids, Kidzui, and Lego Harry Potter.

Look for the L735D to ship in October starting at just under $500.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

---The slime green (or booger green, if you prefer that visual) accents are meant to appeal to kids, which is the target audience here---

"LOL, I actually think it looks ok, it might have its appeal to kids. On the other hand, Specs/Price , there are better options out there. "

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
jayaeu replied on Wed, Sep 28 2011 9:57 PM

I actually like the wipeable keyboard! ;)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,382
Points 31,045
rrplay replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 7:34 AM

Actually preferred the original article title which seems to have a slightly better description.[Fugly]

Ok how about a compromise, with Frogly ? maybe some default green fugly frog to sit on the desktop wallpaper or some rib-bits with the defaults sounds. Not to sure but some kids may like real -deal looks and performance of Mom & Dads .  ..still a pretty good price and a bit of a positive direction to market to younger ones.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 994
Points 14,330
Manduh replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 8:37 AM

This is very cool!! Not quite needed for my 6yr old yet but it would be excellent for preteens and teens! Keeps them off the 'grownups' rigs! I love the booger green too lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,382
Points 31,045
rrplay replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 9:33 AM

Manduh:
  Keeps them off the 'grownups' rigs! I love the booger green too lol

yep !really like the idea of the OK I call it frog -  green

so no problemo to dig-it

make it extra  special with some sounds that go rib-it ..

*** ooops ! not the longest challenge thread  my bad !  Smile

Just saying it's really pretty cool for a younger person to have there own laptop made just for then and the price seems reasonable.Yes

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Haha, booger green must be targeted at Boys... Kids will still break it though even with its slightly rugged body.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Sep 29 2011 2:24 PM

The slime green look does look like it could appeal to kids but on the other hand, it looks like a laptop that NVIDIA would of designed...

The specs look good, the price under $500 for this kind of computer is acceptable as well; if I had a young one, then this'd be the perfect computer for him.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS