Gartner Predicts Three More Years of iPad Tyranny

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,980
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 23 2011 1:10 PM
Apple's iPad tablet is a cool device and all, but it's not the end-all-be-all of slates. It doesn't do Flash, there aren't any USB or microSD card slots, and the built-in cameras are terrible. These are all things you know. You also know the iPad rules the tablet world, not in performance or even in weight or size anymore, but in market share. According to market research firm Gartner, don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Let's start with tablets in general. Gartner says worldwide slate sales are on pace to reach 63.6 million units by the end of the year, a whopping 261.4 percent increase from 2010. Get used to that kind of explosive growth, because tablets will continue to sell like gangbusters through 2015. Apple, meanwhile, will lead the way for at least the next three years, Gartner says.

"We expect Apple to maintain a market share lead throughout our forecast period by commanding more than 50 percent of the market until 2014," Carolina Milanesi, research vice president at Gartner. "This is because Apple delivers a superior and unified user experience across its hardware, software and services. Unless competitors can respond with a similar approach, challenges to Apple’s position will be minimal. Apple had the foresight to create this market and in doing that planned for it as far as component supplies such as memory and screen. This allowed Apple to bring the iPad out at a very competitive price and no compromise in experience among the different models that offer storage and connectivity options."

Android presents the biggest challenge to Apple and is on pace to account for 17.3 percent of all tablet sales by the end of 2011. However, Gartner also lowered its forecast of Android tablets by 28 percent from last quarter's projections and said it would have been even greater if not for lower-end tablet sales in Asia.

"So far, Android’s appeal in the tablet market has been constrained by high prices, weak user interface and limited tablet applications," Ms. Milanesi said. "Google will address the fragmentation of Android across smartphone and tablet form factors within the next Android release, known as ‘Ice Cream Sandwich,’ which we expect to see in the fourth quarter of 2011."

Do you think Apple can maintain its lead for the next three or four years, or do you envision Android closing the gap by then and even leapfrogging ahead?
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I'm not so sure about 3-4 years. 1-2 is probably more realistic. I'm putting a lot of faith in kal-el/ice cream sandwich tablets and also after seeing windows8 I'm not so sure the ipad is going to remain king for that long. Both Android and Windows8 need to get their ecosystems up to par before the masses will fall in line.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 180
akumu replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 3:20 PM

I certainly very much enjoy the ipad and will continue to support the product as long they remain at a competitive price and keep up with features.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 6:13 PM

I have to agree with what you said. I'd also like to add that the tablet makers have to price their tablets more accordingly. I mean right now they're priced at a level which does not reflect the value of the device; and that sort of undermines the profitability of the device because let's face it, if it's not valued accordingly then it won't sell.

Still. lets hope any talk about $99 tablets is eliminated when Windows 8, Kal-El and Ice Cream Sandwhich is released.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 7:01 PM

I don't know how ipad has a competitive price because it has no competition. The only other tablet that stood a chance was the galaxy and that cant even be sold in some places now. Most people who look to buy a tablet don't think i want zoom,Toshiba thrive, HTC evo or etc. They think i want a ipad because that is the most popular.

However android is used on many tablets, so people have more variety and usually will be newer . In addition many people consider a device that has just been released to automatically be better in performance. The longer a new ipad isn't released the faster the fad will go away i think.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS