Scientists claim to have broken the light speed barrier

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,099
Points 1,183,620
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 23 2011 12:19 AM
Faster than the speed of light? Normally we think of The Flash, Superman, or perhaps a Federation starship using warp drive. In other words, we think science fiction or comic books. After all, surpassing that speed would overturn one of the fundamental laws of physics, Einstein's theory of relativity, often simply known by the equation E = mc2.

However, scientists at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, believe they have discovered subatomic particles called neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light. That said, with physics potentially about to be turned upside down, the scientists are so astounded by the discovery that they are asking others to verify them.

Antonio Ereditato, spokesman for the researchers, said that measurements taken over three years showed neutrinos pumped from CERN near Geneva to Gran Sasso in Italy had arrived 60 nanoseconds quicker than light would have done. The margin for error in the measurements was 10 nanoseconds, which means that even taking that into account, the neutrinos' speed was still faster than light.

He added, "We have high confidence in our results. We have checked and rechecked for anything that could have distorted our measurements but we found nothing. We now want colleagues to check them independently."

James Gillies, a spokesman for CERN, said "The feeling that most people have is this can't be right, this can't be real. They are inviting the broader physics community to look at what they've done and really scrutinize it in great detail.

Wikimedia Commons
They are inviting the broader physics community to look at what they've done and really scrutinize it in great detail, and ideally for someone elsewhere in the world to repeat the measurements."

The neutrino is an elementary sub-atomic particle which is electrically neutral and weakly interacting. Neutrinos are able to pass through ordinary matter nearly unaffected and have have a very tiny, but still nonzero mass.

Neutrinos are created by certain types of radioactive decay or in nuclear reactions such as those occurring in the Sun. The name really means "small neutral one."

Fermilab head theoretician Stephen Parke said, "It's a shock. It's going to cause us problems, no doubt about that - if it's true." Fermilab, in Chicago, had similar faster-than-light results in 2007, but those came with such a huge margin of error that its scientific validity was discounted. Scientists at Fermilab have promised to start verification work on the CERN results immediately.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 8:26 AM

And this comes a long time after Chinese scientists "proved" that the speed barrier of light could not be broken through.

Seriously, first they discover that there's a black hole that's somewhat related to time and then the discovery that neutrinos are faster than the speed of light; I'm guessing that these are the beginning ingredients to time travel I mean think about it, if someone manages to combine a method that used neutrinos and the black hole then we could travel to any time that we wanted to.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 415
Points 5,315
FreeJet replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:30 AM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,377
Points 31,015
rrplay replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 10:59 AM

Before any one gets a brain chill ..for those that believe in alternative and parallel universe this would possibly have to be so.Yet believing in something that does not exist seems to be faith. How about getting some Foldit teams working along with the grand physics wizards to sort this out and 'make it so' ?

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 3:08 PM

The idea of time travel seems impossible. You cannot go back into the past. But I will never say it's completely impossible. This opens up the chances of space travel. Finding something that is faster than light means it is possible to shorten the distance of light-years. Which would be really nice.

Oh well, maybe in 100 years.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JBuckey replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 12:15 AM

/.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
FWalton replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 1:13 AM

They have been conducting these experiments for three years and they broadcast the news too early? You also claim they did not follow scientific protocol....based on what exactly? I'm willing to bet you weren't there to make any assessments on their methods, you were probably off trolling other internet forums and had no clue about this research like the rest of the world.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 653
Points 5,925
mhenriday replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 3:55 AM

The publication of these results hardly came too early - from what I can see, the OPERA researchers have done an exemplary job of checking their results , making their limits clear, and requesting help with further experiments. The problem lies not with the researchers, but rather with media headlines of the type«Einstein was wrong !», etc (HHH's headline above - «Scientists claim to have broken the light speed barrier» seems to me an example of responsible reporting), which mislead readers (and journalists !) with limited scientific knowledge. If these results can be confirmed, this is indeed big news, signifying a major extension of physics (nota bene, not a rejection of Einstein, just as Special and General Relativity gave rise to a new physics, rather than a simple rejection of Newtonian mechanics, which continues to be of great utility) and possibly a path towards a theory which can unify General Relativity and quantum mechanics. Myself, I'm skeptical and suspect that some sort of systematic error will be found (neutrinos are tricky particles to work with), but to my mind, this work is a classic example of the way science is - and should be - done....

Henri

Update : An arXiv.org paper by the OPERA collaborators can be found here (http://static.arxiv.org/pdf/1109.4897.pdf)....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,905
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Sep 24 2011 12:35 PM

All that they have done at this point is show the world the findings that they checked, and rechecked. They're just asking for independent verification from other sources, and have not claimed that their finding are true, or even accurate yet.

They have access to the most sophisticated equipment on Earth at this point. So proving or disproving is gonna be a chore.

If it is true and provable, it turns the Theory Of Relativity onto it's ear, but who can say how this will change the way we actually do science? I think that this news is profound, but not enough to get excited about,.....yet.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 415
Points 5,315
FreeJet replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 10:27 PM

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Hon.Sir,

Research on E=Mc2 Instead of E=Mm2,The speed of light =22,32,00,00,000 miles per second,Point,Exact value of Pi = π = Goba = Pi = 3.141592653 , and also both research. Look at SBJANORKAR-site.google.com or dhananjay shantaram janorkar

Respected sir,

My father Shri. Shantaram Bapurao Janorkar has worked out the accurate numerical value of Pi=π,Goba= Pi = 3.141592653 is exact value and also research point:- Evidence of existence of point and it´s from.E=Mc2 formula derived by Hon. Albert Einstein is wrong & it´s evidence proof,E=Mm2 is new formula, The speed of light =22,32,00,00,000 miles per second. Soul:-Evidence of existence of Soul, it´s form and nomenclature.Om,Aatmaa and also both research.

In mathematic´s the value of Pi = π, which was wrongly known to the mathematician is roughly limitless, in-comprehensible, incalculable, transcendental irrational.Circumference divided by Diameter = magnitude of regular polygon (Roughly circumference) divided by Diameter is wrong. Today’s world class mathematician was assumed that the circumference is a magnitude of regular polygon. (there fore) they do not get exact value of Pi= π, for this my father made whole life time research and calculated the exact value of Pi= π which was 3.141592653 and whole research was made in Marathi (Devnagri) language.

In 15th of September 1998 publication of Pi=π=Gobacha Swayam Siddha Siddhant Launching ceremony was arranged by me in a city center at Mahan Dist.Akola at 6:00 pm on 15-09-1998. This function was presided over by senior Journalist, Radio and Television reporter late. Shree Dadasaheb Mankar,Dr.K.S.Adhau, Head of Department of Mathematics Amravati University, Amravati Published theorem book. And the launching was over by Hon.Dr.T. M.Karde,(Dean,Faculty of Science, Nagpur University Nagpur, President of Einstin foundation internation,Nagpur) Shree. Bhagwantrao Ingle, President of District Journalist Union, Dr.Mujumdar, Head of department of Engineering Dr.P.D.Krishi Vidyapith,Akola Dr.Burghate, Dr.Asole, Deputy Education Officer,Shri.Wankhade,Adesh Deshpande, Baban Daberao, Prof. Pundkar Dr.Ghorpande, B.D.O. Shri. Borde, were present on dais.

HONOURABLE GUEST’S VIEWS ABOUT THE THEORUM

Hon.Dr.T.M.Karde (International pamed mathematician):- Dr.Karde admitted the new thought about the principal of static & Dynamic is brought by this theorem. In spite of all, he do not comment on this issue instantly, but the assured that, the discussion will be made on the same in next conference certainly.

Hon.Dr.K.S.Adhau (Head, Department of Mathematics, Amravati University):- Dr.Adhau thought that it would be fast to give any remark on this theorem.

Hon.Dr.Mujumdar (Head, Department of Engineering Dr.P.D.Krishi Vidyapith, Akola):- Today, this has been provide that research work is not limited to university expert person. But a farmer can also do a research work. There is no end to research work. This research work will guide the future generation.

Hon.Late Dadasaheb Mankar (Senior Journalist):- Professor Mankar stated that this result is hard work / dedication of 20 years and he expected such Hero should be born from this earth only.

Hon.N.L.Lakhanpal,Principal Secretary,Higher Technical Education Department, Mantralaya, Mumbai-32 Wrote in the letter DO No.PA1097/NLL/P.I.,Dated:-21May1997 to Hon.Prof.V.S.Ramamurthy,Secretary, Science and Technology Bhavan,Department of Science,Government of India,New Delhi.Since the state Government does not have any such expertise, We would request Government of India to Initiate whatever steps are considered necessary in this matter.

No one has responded seriously to my father research work. I humbly request to you where in the validity of this claim Can be scientifically established. Whatever steps are considered necessary in this matter. So,I again request you to do needful in this regard.

Thanking you, Yours faithfully

Dhananjay Shantaram Janorkar

(Chief Publisher,All Research Shri. Shantaram Bapurao Janorkar)

c/o Shri.Patil House, Nityanand Nagar,

Near Saraswati Vidyalaya, Gorakshan Road,

Akola:- 444 004 (Maharashtra State),India

Mob:- 091-9021607450,9226442256

E-mail ID: dhananjay.janorkar70@gmail.com Shantaramb.janorkar@gmail.com

Date: 24-09-2011

Research on Point,E=Mc2 Instead of E=Mm2,Soul , Exact value of Pi=π,Goba = Pi = 3.141592653 ,Om,Aatmaa and also both research, look at google site,Twitter,Orkut,Rediff mypage,Digg,yahoo mypage,Facebook, name of Dhananjay Janorkar and Shantaram Bapurao Janorkar.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS