mini-ITX gaming build

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 95
apparition Posted: Thu, Sep 22 2011 9:40 PM

Background/Requirements

So I wanted to build a system for my GF's b-day. She wanted a system for gaming but she's always moving places (she's a student). It boiled down to either a large laptop or a desktop computer. After weighing out the differences, I figure you get more performance per dollar in a desktop for gaming than a laptop. I originally thought of making it a micro-ATX machine, but after seeing a Shuttle PC at a computer shop, I decided to return my micro-ATX case and make it a mini-ITX instead!

Specs

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.3gHz sandy bridge

Memory: Patriot Sector 5 2x2GB DDR3

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 3.5"

Motherboard: Zotac H67ITX-C-E WiFi B3 revision

Video: PNY GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB

Chassis: Silverstone Sugo SG05-BB-450W (mini-ITX)

Monitor: ASUS VE247 23.6" with integrated speakers

~$830 for all of the above before tax.

For those who are wondering, this has a 450W SFF PSU included with the case. It is more than enough to power the i5 and GTX 560 Ti (nVidia's site says that it recommends 550W).

Also, I could've stuck in a i5 2500K or even an i7 2600K but I was concerned about heat and costs of buying fancy self-contained water cooling units. An SSD probably would've been nice too. Again, cost was a limiting factor.

Photos- putting it together

I was amazed at how small the motherboard was. As someone who normally builds using normal ATX motherboards, it was quite small. This motherboard was perfect as a it had USB3 (incl. USB3 headers), SATA3, a PCI-e x16 slot and WiFi-N -- very future-proof. The video card was a bit of a tight fit, but I managed to squeeze it in fine after some wedging. I flipped the PSU for better air ventilation. I could've used some right-angle SATA cables due to the location of the video card and the 3.5" drive bay.

But in the end it was a perfect fit and ended up well within a budget. Let me know what you think and if I could've done anything differently! Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

nicely done!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Nice Build. The only thing I would do different is I would have opted for 8GB of RAM(2x4) but thats for me, For your GF is perfectly fine. Props on the build." 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 7:48 AM

Looks spiffy but I would of gone for a better video card and some more ram, although that would of risen the cost above what you had planned out. Really hope you managed the cables in your build.

Other than that, pretty spiffy.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,622
Points 103,875
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 8:31 AM

Looks good, and that GPU will do for a GF build. RAM being as cheap as it is, I might have used 8GB too, but 4GB runs everything out these days without problems.

Have you tested it out for performance and Temps?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Thanks for the pics and build specs; looks like a rockin little box, I'm sure she will love it. The 560 Ti is a great card it will serve her well. I have to agree, I would have gone with 8gigs because of how cheap is right now but like @realneil said 4gigs is more than enough. What are you using for the optical drive, if any?

Cost is always the limiting factor haha!

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS