Mozilla Briefly Considers Faster Firefox Release Schedule

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,750
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 22 2011 3:42 PM
Mozilla batted around the idea of implementing an even faster release schedule for its Firefox browser, one that would kick it's already rapid release schedule into overdrive. Mozilla Engineering Manager Josh Aas initiated the discussion last week when he proposed reducing the time in between browser builds from six weeks to five weeks.

"There is more than enough carping about the six week cycle being too short. It might be better to wait a while until people become convinced that every update isn't going to break all their extensions, plugins, and themes, and change the UI beyond recognition (as FF3 to FF4 did)," one of the developers wrote in response to the proposal.

It's important to note that discussions like this take place all the time with regards to Firefox, so how seriously Mr. Aas wanted to shave a week off the release cycle isn't really known. However, it's fair to say that most developers were against the idea for one reason or another, including the "risk of burnout."

As it stands, Mozilla's six week release schedule already has some users complaining, though on the flip side, Mozilla risks losing browser market share to Google Chrome if it sits on the sideline for too long. According to Net Applications, Firefox currently holds a 22.6 percent share of the desktop browser market, compared to Chrome's 15.5 percent.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 5:20 PM

I have to agree. I mean even the current release schedule is faster then all the other release schedules. Speeding things up once more again will just be a form of heavy overkill.

They've already released like 5 versions already, all of them minor versions and those updates are coming in at a timely matter; so why would we need to speed up the release schedule again?

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 10:24 PM

Yeah they definitely should not be speeding up there release schedule anymore I am glad this got rejected. The six week release cycle is fast enough. People get freaked out by updates and and corporate users especially will not support this release schedule.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,381
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 12:09 AM

At least all the about:config tweaks stick but have to checked just in case,Any of you guys work with either the Nightly or check out Comodo Dragon Web browser ? it like a hybrid 'tweener Chrome under the hood and FF UI ?

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 12:29 AM

I use Mozilla's Aurora now anyway, but I do agree that they should have more time to fix things up within Firefox & not just speed things up just to make themselves look better in the public eye.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS