Micron Launches Self-Encrypting RealSSD C400

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,664
Points 1,155,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 22 2011 12:45 PM
Love SSDs? Love security? Guess what? Micron has a match made in computing heaven for your consideration. The new and improved RealSSD C400 solid state drive features self encryption technology, which is leaps and bounds better at staying under wraps compared to a convention HDD or SSD.

The C400 SED (Self-Encrypting Drive) is based on the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) Opal specifications and provides a hardware-based answer for the increasing wave of data breaches that continue to impact computer users and enterprises worldwide. "Self-encrypting drives represent the future of data protection," said Dr. Joerg Borchert, 2011 president and chairman of the nonprofit Trusted Computing Group. "Hardware encryption provides the strongest security and best performance, and solid-state technology like Micron's will provide even quicker data access."

The C400 SED's encryption capabilities are delivered through a hardware-based, AES-256-bit encryption engine and advanced security firmware. Micron's firmware is designed to comply with the TCG Opal specification. TCG Opal is an open industry standard that provides a verifiable path for companies who need to prove they're compliant with tough data security regulations when devices or drives are lost or stolen.

Like all hardware-encryption, the drive works in conjunction with an encryption management system. Micron's C400 SED solution was built in partnership with leading encryption management provider Wave System, and not surprisingly, the company's marketing this towards large corporations, government systems and other multiple-user networks that require maximum security without cumbersome workflow interruptions or decreased performance.

The C400 SED SSD is available in 128-, 256-, and 512GB capacities, a SATA 6Gb/s interface, and 2.5 and 1.8-inch form factors. The drive's sophisticated NAND management delivers sequential read and write speeds of up to 500 MB/s and 260 MB/s respectively – the same high performance as Micron's existing C400. The drive will be sampling and in production in the fourth quarter of this year and will be available through Micron's global distribution network.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,630
omegadraco replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 10:13 PM

Hopefully more companies that handle sensitive data on laptop equipment will begin using devices like this. I think people are sick of major agencies losing peoples data when a laptop gets stolen.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Fri, Sep 23 2011 2:37 AM

Good one! Smile I'll agree with & 2nd "omegadraco".Cool Hope that this will be common for future SSDs of other manufacturers also.Wink I can see this being used by me when I decide to dual boot one of my future or now computers with a windows 7 or even a windows 8 if they get their act together in that new idea of Microsoft to get incrypted signing procedures for future hardware when the windows 8 comes out.Angry   The reason why I say this, is because I still like using windows XP operating systems.Big Smile

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS