OCZ Unveils Synapse Cache Series SSDs

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,365
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 21 2011 12:41 AM
Land sakes alive, OCZ is busy. It seems as though every couple of days it has a new product out that’s worth a look. Today, it’s the OCZ Synapse Cache series of 2.5-inch SSDs, which are designed specifically for caching applications in an SSD/HDD hybrid storage setup in order to boost performance.

The drives’ main feature is the on board Dataplex software, which is able to dynamically manage data in such a way that it gives the SSD the most frequently-used “hot” data while assigning the lower-priority “cold” data to the HDD. The software adapts to user behavior, so the performance gains will theoretically improve over time and with greater use.

The first two offerings in the line include a 64GB and a 128GB option. Both are 2.5-inch SATA III drives, and they’re backward-compatible with SATA II. The 64GB version will purportedly offer up to 550/490Mbps read/write speeds and 75,000 IOPS, while the bigger 128GB drive should deliver 550/510MBps and 80,000 IOPS performance.

OCZ offers a performance chart on its website, as seen below:

It’s clear from OCZ’s website that this new line of drives is designed to be more than just another pair of SSDs. The Synapse Cache drives have their own section, separate from the SSDs, called “Caching Solutions”.

Even though the OCZ Synapse Cache drives are set apart from the rest of OCZ’s line, they’re not the only OCZ products packing the Dataplex cache software; the recently-released OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid also has it on board. In a way, the Synapse Cache drives are basically just the SSD part of the RevoDrive Hybrid. (The latter also sports 1TB of storage.)

For all the performance enhancement afforded by a good SSD, many users balk when faced with sticker shock. Those SSDs are still far more expensive per gigabyte than a nice traditional 7200rpm HDD. Setups with a small-capacity SSD and huge-capacity HDD tandem are still essentially the only way to get the best of both performance and capacity without going bankrupt, and the OCZ Synapse Cache Series is another way to do just that.

That is, of course, as long as the price is right. Curiously, there’s no sign of pricing info anywhere in the press release nor the OCZ website. Intel’s Z68 chipset enables SSD caching with its own software, so any SSD (up to 64GB) plugged into a Z68 board has the same type of functionality as these Synapse Cache drives. (The issue of which performs better remains to be seen.) If someone is building a high-end system based on a Z68 board, then, will there be any incentive to opt for an OCZ Synapse Cache drive versus any other SSD option?
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 7:20 AM

This is nice for those who don't have a Z68 board. I mean I can buy one of these babies, plug them into my Maximus III GENE, install the software and just watch the performance rise up to the top.

This should be reviewed. I mean OCZ provided us with a solution to get the best of both worlds without having to buy one of those new Z68 boards, that makes OCZ very amazing in my opinion.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 7:57 AM

I will certainly grab a 128GB OCZ Synapse Cache solid state drive & stick it into an Asus P8P67 WS Revolution & watch it go. I also think that OCZ Synapse solid state drives will out do the Z68 chipset solution. When will these SSDs come out, does anybody know.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 8:13 AM

@gazd1 Not at the moment.

I wouldn't worry though, I mean things like this that get announced eventually get released. Much like that MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition a few months ago.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 8:22 AM

Well maybe your right "TaylorKarras". So I will think that I'll put it off then, just for a while though.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,065
rrplay replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 8:42 AM

It might be sweet to see more round-ups and hands on reviews with some of these newer SSD as they appear.Similar to the 3TB HD roundup.

How about 2 roundups a bang for buck' budget/upgrade SSD round=up and a more mainstream better performance SSD roundup/review as to what's available in the HH lab along with the insights and recommends.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Great idea @rrplay, I'd enjoy the bang for your buck review. I was just thinking with all of these ocz drives floating around maybe there should be a round-up dedicated to just theirs. Vertex 3 is the king but after that I don't know which one comes in 2nd, 3rd, etc.

On a side note does anyone have an ssd in their console?

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 11:48 AM

x3 rrplay

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645
omegadraco replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 11:51 AM

Wow this is awesome stuff for those who are using older motherboards to still get that caching performance. OCZ really seems to be king of the hill when it comes to SSDs and their tech advancement.

I would definitely like to see a comparison of this drive and its software to another comparable OCZ SSD using the Z68 Chipset though I am sure that is already in the works knowing this site Stick out tongue

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 12:35 PM

Yes; OCZ seems to rule the SSD's to me, I always hear people comment on the Intels being the most reliable, but I never hear much negative commentary on OCZ's being reliable so I do not really get that. The two manufacturers seem to operate there drive controllers slightly differently which is basically the main difference I see. Anyway another SSD goes on the pile which is going to have to do something to the price line, which is also by the way seemingly getting a few dollars better by the day really already. By black Friday there are going to be some deals to be had at 12:01 AM for sure.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"This is nice, OCZ is always innovating in the SSD market. With the great relationship between HH and OCZ, we will soon have a comparison between this and caching with the Z68 platform. "

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 8:46 PM

This is good news. It would be especially nice in the new Bulldozer system that I plan to build.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS