Google+ Now Open to Everyone, Invitations Now Worthless on eBay

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,305
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 20 2011 2:20 PM
After keeping a semi-tight lid on Google+ for the past three months, the sultan of search has now opened up its social networking platform to the general public. For better or worse, that means anyone and everyone is free to sign up. Some of you just let out a groan and are thinking, "Great, there goes the neighborhood," while others are jumping for joy at the prospect of an influx of members to finally get those streams flowing.

"For the past 12 weeks we’ve been in field trial, and during that time we’ve listened and learned a great deal. We’re nowhere near done, but with the improvements we’ve made so far we’re ready to move from field trial to beta, and introduce our 100th feature: open signups. This way anyone can visit google.com/+, join the project and connect with the people they care about," Vic Gundotra, Google's Senior Vice President of Engineering, announced in a blog post.

According to Gundotra, Google's latest round of tweaks bring the number of improvements to Google+ to 100 since it launched back in June. In particular, Google's been paying a lot of attention to Hangouts in recent weeks, which is now a feature available on Android 2.3+ smartphones (iOS support coming soon) with front-facing cameras.

Are you excited about Google+ opening up to the general public, or do you already miss when it was by invite only?
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"I'm hating Google +, it has turned into a Spam menace, I'm tire of receiving tons of unwanted "shared with you on Google+." updates from people I have not subscribed to. The funny thing, is that I have Not joined Google +."

"I love Facebook, and I like Twitter, and I'm not interested in any other Social Network, those two are enough. Oh Yeah, I LOve Hothardware Too."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 4:16 PM

ROFL; Optimus, oh yeah I love HH too. To tell you the truth I probably post here more than anywhere else at least singularly on the internet. Yes I have Facebook, had Myspace to from day one so I am used to them. I also keep my settings tight on everything. I do not get spam from Myspace (I hardly ever go there, but it still exist's), I don't get spam from Facebook, Google+ etc. Of course I have also been on the net since it was BBS/IRQ school etc. networks, so I started way before many of you did (no not everyone Dave, Marco, Neil etc. I know some of you are in my age group or above) at least those under 35-40. I have never understood the hatred for these types of sites either. I control my settings very tightly which is and has always been the requirement for me at least.

Back to the subject I assumed Google+ would go public soon, and also still think Google is working to be, and most likely will be the next Microsoft. The company that is on every device for everyone or to the largest percentage by a wide scale. There new TV commercials just point it out even more. You can do everything on Google. They are the largest email provider, Google doc's, maps, etc, etc, etc are becoming more common place/tools. I can easily see where there 40-50% worldwide on multiple fronts, and M$ is second or even fiddle, of course Apple will be there somewhere but they still do not get it.

The thing is the wider this Cloud/Internet etc platform goes the more they own it. Yes Apple just like always (or at least as long as I can remember which is both there (Apple) and M$ start) makes some great machines, and tries to sell it like there it. Yes they may have a wider audience than they did before with the iPhone/Pad, but it is still not as big as they play it to be. In the end the more open path will win more users because more people can find a use for the more open than the exclusive/cool/easy/set/domineered path.

No Google may not be true open source through and through, but there more open than anyone but Linux which i think is just to divided. I don't know I remember when they were predicting Windows phone was going to explode by 2014, and I am no market projector, evaluator, but if M$ does not get something rolling there going to loose completely. If they loose on the mobile front they can just start a yard sale. Either way Google has crept into everything slowly and quietly. While they are there they have developed solid paths in general and marketed them more aptly than anyone. One day if it is not Google directly it will at the least all be Google compatible.

Now they own fricking Motorola among there many other acquisitions. That is kind of like buying out Zerox back when PC's were first becoming the norm. They are building fiber networks for cities. I mean how invasive can you get while still being seen as open? Either way G+ is just one of many, many facets which I am sure will do fine one day one way or another.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 7:15 PM

I saw this. I can't believe people were selling invitations on ebay. I don't know what is worse, the people buying, or selling them.  I am not impressed with google+ at all right now.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,838
Points 45,830
rapid1 replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 9:27 PM

rofl Aoshi I think the people buying them is the best in a comedic sense I was able to get all the invites I wanted in 4 days time even though they were "closed" and I also sent invites to my whole family. I guess I should have gone and sold some on e-bay come to think of it! Anyway I updated it on my sensation today and it basically put most main Google functions available on a toolbar if you log in which is kinda cool.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

I am 28 and used BBS and IRC as well :P

I like the idea of Google+ but not that your profile has to be public. I'd would much rather be able to control my information the way I see fit.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 10:07 PM

...pending.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 4:25 AM

That girl from K-Earth 101 was right, everybody is going to be able to sign up for a Google+ account.

With that being said, I was not very interested with Google+ from the start. I mean sure, it has Google in the name but I didn't really know anybody to connect with, nor understand the whole circles thing... Adding to that, I don't really use social networks and this is mostly because I don't know a whole lot of people and even if I do know a whole lot of people; I have almost nothing to talk about seeing as how I don't follow a lot of things and the things I do want to talk about it will almost be incompatible with the guy I'm talking to. Plus I don't really want to get into the whole "the profile with the most friends win" contest and I don't really want to buy a second monitor and turn it pivot just so I can see what my social networking guys are up to.

I thinK rapid1 has covered everything I was going to say. Man I'm surprised at how Google "has" crept up in everything. I mean everywhere I go, all I see is Google, Google, Google. Wonder how long before it becomes a permanent fixture in everybody's lives?

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 8:19 AM

Yeah!Wink  How long TaylorKarras until it becomes a permanent fixture for us within the Googles Cloud concept.Wink

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 220
Points 2,745
gazd1 replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 8:27 AM

Well maybe I'll think about trying it, but I'm one of those people that will also not want to have heaps of spam either. Although I can't say that I like Facebook that much, there seems to be a lot of cruel people out there in Facebook land you know.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS