Microsoft Windows 8 Explored at BUILD 2011 Conference

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,113
Points 1,184,185
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 13 2011 9:02 PM
Windows 8 is damned impressive. That's our one-sentence summary of the company's keynote and it applies despite the appearance of a few bugs and hiccups during the on-stage OS demonstrations. The new operating system shares certain design elements with Windows Phone 7, but it's far from a large-screen version of Microsoft's smartphone OS. When Steven Sinofsky, President of the Windows division at Microsoft, wrote that "Windows 8 re-imagines Windows" and implied that this would be the largest overhaul since Windows 95, he wasn't exaggerating.

Windows 8 Explored at BUILD 2011
  • | Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Thanks for the preliminary review on Windows 8. I am actually looking forward to this for my own personal use but as far as from a support standpoint for my school this could potentially be a nightmare. I am sure they will make some way to lock this down through group policy into a Windows 7 Classic mode.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,379
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 10:21 PM

Thanks for the preview,and the more I look at Windows 8 and the metro style interface the more I like it.Looks like it to be quite a bit innovative and has the 'charm' to alleviate a lot of the rather tiresome repetition of user navigation with a UI such as this..Those that would like to check out a Developer pre-beta tonight can get more info here to dl the Developer Preview .iso

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 10:50 PM

Joel did a good thing by giving us an early preview of us. Now I don't know if I'll see myself using Windows 8 (especially when the Classic UI is only avaliable on 32-bit operating systems.) but I do know that this will work wonders for the market Microsoft hasn't exactly had ease conquering despite the fact that they were one of the first... Yup, you heard it right tablets.

I mean just look at the UI, it has all of the combinations for a winning game. You've got an architecture that knows how to efficiently load apps, you've got an interface that's easy to use and mutli-touch compatible and you even have it eating up less memory than previous Windows versions. Now the only problem is how will it work out on tablets. I mean iPad currently has the market locked up and Android has a big chunk of the pie, leaving barely any room for Microsoft.

They're going to need some serious convincing of everybody if they want to succeed. And not just consumers, but manufactures and software makers as well.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 10:58 AM

Interesting! I downloaded Win 8 last night but I dl'd the straight 64 bit version without the dev tools etc. Well when I tried to install it did not work. So I re-dl'd today and am in 64 bit Win8 as we speak (of course on a chrome browser, lol). It is interesting and seemingly so far with about 20 minutes experience now pretty functional for a developers alpha build. Supposedly it has a year of development before release, or maybe they just mean it will be released in 2012. Either way it will take a little getting used to as it is different for sure. Anyway off to mess around with WIN 8!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I'll have to use it before I make my final decision but metro looks pretty cool. I'm not so sure I want all of those apps running on my desktop but it looks great for tablets/netbooks/notebooks. I'm sure there will be a way you can have windows automatically load the desktop instead of metro when it starts. I was reading an article that said this is the future of computing; one os running on all devices. I have to agree with that statement, I look forward to seeing more progress at we get closer to its release date. It looks like Microsoft finally beat apple to something more innovative!

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,093
Points 11,065
CDeeter replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 12:30 PM

I have to admit this looks interesting, and up until this point I really wasn't looking forward to Win8, as I really like Win7 and felt that Win8 was coming way too soon.

But I now I'd like to see more.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 155
FloydF replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 1:46 PM

I have a lot of issues with Windows 7 and hoped they would be fixed in Wondows 8, however it appears to be getting worse. 1 OS for all devices is fine as long ay you can choose not to install support for all the devices you don't have! I have at least 5 RAID drivers loaded on my notebook which does not have a raid adapter, as well a services for touch screens and a lot of other stuff that is slowing down my computer. In a perfect world, yes 1 OS for all devices, but this world isn't perfect and neither is Windows. It needs to be more modular so people can get rid of the resource hogging "Features" they don't want and can't use.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Just Look at what Steve Jobs and Apple has done, From now on , all desktops will turn into tablets. LOL. Obviously Microsoft cant capitalized much on the mobile APP market, where Apple and Android is too strong, But Microsoft owns the Desktop OS market, so this is a smart move. I just hope the user experience is as good and its polished for the Desktop, if it is , then it would definitely influence WIN 8 mobile device sales for perfect harmony between devices.I just wished I had taken a programming course back then, cause thats where the money is at "

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 5:05 PM

Wheatley:
"Just Look at what Steve Jobs and Apple has done, From now on , all desktops will turn into tablets. LOL. Obviously Microsoft cant capitalized much on the mobile APP market, where Apple and Android is too strong

It's not an application market, it's the mobile market... I mean sure, they created Windows Phone 7 and that's a good mobile operating system but it hasn't exactly seen the adoption it needs because not many developers find it flexible, not many consumers find it as appealing as the iPhone and/or Android and not many manufactures are even willing to develop Windows Mobile phones. Hell, even Windows 7 can't find work on a tablet due to the fact that it's a desktop OS first and foremost.

The Classic UI is not because they own the desktop market, but because they have to maintain compatibility with older apps while people get adjusted to Metro (Windows 8's new interface.) I mean what happens if you design a new OS and then tell people "Look, your old apps will not work with this, but it's new and you gotta accept it." Do you know how many people would be pissed off at Microsoft if they did that? And it'd be a smart move if they make the classic UI work for x64. (x86 = 32-bit, and everybody who's gone 64-bit knows how much they can't go back.) but alas, I'm guessing that we have to get used to the fact that they're phasing out the classic UI for 64-bit systems (unless there's a clarification I don't know about.

Wheatley:
I just hope the user experience is as good and its polished for the Desktop, if it is , then it would definitely influence WIN 8 mobile device sales for perfect harmony between devices.

The review is up there, it says that the interface is good and polished. Hell, I even say that the UI is good and would fit well on a wide variety of tablets, including tablets. However, the main issue is not how much polished and good it is. The main issue is how are people going to adopt it. You've seen what happened with Zune, they've polished it; they've turned it into a niche product that many people would buy for it's value and for it's uniqueness (as an iPod alternative of course) but as usual not many people bought into it to make it profitable so after Zune HD (which was as polished and good as Windows 8 BTW.) they decided to end production of Zune devices and turn all of their focus on Windows Phone 7... Which is doing very bad, but I'm hoping that the Nokia deal can at least edge Microsoft into the position where Apple and Android are.

Anyways... What Microsoft needs to be doing is addressing people who will be asking (Hmmm.... Why should I buy a Windows tablet when I can buy a competing Android or Apple tablet.) I mean that's the kind of people they should be targeting. Apple and Android has entrenched themselves so deep in this market that it's going to be a long uphill battle for Microsoft and it's quest to get a place in the tablet market and gain the dollars of consumers. (because lord knows they can't keep making Desktop OS's, unless they want to be an enterprise company...)

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 7:00 PM

It sounds like the problem you have is an overzealous OEM who loaded a bunch of crap that you aren't using.

Windows 7 doesn't load any RAID drivers or touchscreen drivers by default. All such packages are enabled and installed by the OEM or the user.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:01 AM

I don't like the Metro UI much personally. I like the new task manger, its more like using System Internals Process Explorer as a replacement for task mgr. As usual you can disable the Metro UI and be left with something that resembles a Vista/Win7 desktop. on a tablet or a touch screen computer who knows it might be awesome.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,379
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 1:34 PM

digitaldd:

I don't like the Metro UI much personally. I like the new task manger, its more like using System Internals Process Explorer as a replacement for task mgr. As usual you can disable the Metro UI and be left with something that resembles a Vista/Win7 desktop. on a tablet or a touch screen computer who knows it might be awesome.

Yep I am with thinking that i would not like it.But after seeing the video on  this thread http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/57812.aspx  Since I already had the download thought to just install it 64-bit and see for myself.

Yep it loads faster on the same hardware and was using a separate partition on the same HD .Too bad do not have an SSD .anyhow I was able to tweak the registry to use a non Metro Win 8 Developer Preview & found this on line and it works:

run regedit from the developer command prompt.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
set the key RPEnabled to 0

<rebooot>  to but it back simply change if back to 1 [you will see the Start Icon change from the registry change for non-Metro.]

Also grabbed Firefox and Adobe Flash and some other apps to check -out the preview for a bit.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,624
Points 103,930
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 9:51 PM

Thanks for the reg edit link rrplay,........

That interface was driving me batsh*t.

Metro UI is a good reason to stay with Win-7 as I see it.

EDIT: Since I changed the Registry Key, I now have a warning on my screen from Microsoft. I've been a bad boy it seems.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,379
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 10:02 AM

realneil:

Thanks for the reg edit link rrplay,........

That interface was driving me batsh*t.

Metro UI is a good reason to stay with Win-7 as I see it.

EDIT: Since I changed the Registry Key, I now have a warning on my screen from Microsoft. I've been a bad boy it seems.

just saw your post this am sorry about that

I do not know why you had received any type of warning .I just know that I did toggle the above mentioned registry key several times before posting it

maybe your just a bad boy in general  [ kidding of course ] Smile

but no real need to perform the above posted registry hack  to disable the Metro UI it you want  When you do the Task Manger which is an improvement revert to the Win 7 task manger .not all that thrilled with the MS boot-loader but that a different point all-together  >>>meanwhile

found a Metro Tweak Utility this morning  in on the Windows 8 preview forums that does a bit more as well [ie .ribbon,start n sleep options] currently running Firefox 6.0.2 on this 64 -bit install.

screenie

Also grabbed a few themes as well .& .figured I 'd grab some pancakes before the Bears game !

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,379
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 10:31 AM

Maybe after receiving all the current update its likely better to use the Metro Tweaker instead of the above registry 'tweak'.

here is some info and links for the Metro Tweaker

http://www.eightforums.com/software/2476-metro-tweaker.html

screenie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 5:21 PM

Interesting; well I have not messed with 8 much until today, at least since the day I got it any way. I must say it is pretty easy to work with, and it seems to manage resources pretty well by itself. The is a click metro icon to go to the desktop and of course if you wanna get into Metro you just hit your windows key. Either way it seem very fluid and easy to use once you give it a few minutes. The task manager is very efficient as well much more so than any version I have seen before. I was messing around with wireless networking etc and it all seems to be very efficient as well as easy to work with as well. Explorer seems solid to, so it seemingly has a very strong backbone for a public alpha which is what this pretty much seems to be.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,379
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 1:58 AM

rapid1:

.., so it seemingly has a very strong backbone for a public alpha which is what this pretty much seems to be.

hey rapid1 nice to see you checked it out and shared some feedback. Been playing a bit more with the Metro because I like what 's going on with the task manager.  it is a pretty solid alpha and will likely look into the new file system [Protogon] a bit more.,and investigate some more with the MS boot-loader..

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I absolutely hate the Dev preview. The metro IU would be nice for a tablet or maybe a media center PC, but is just out of place on a desktop or laptop. Everything seems dumbed down it takes more clicks to do everything other than browse the web. I was really impressed with Windows Vista and 7s upgrade so I copied my hard drive and tried that. I'm glad I just made a copy. While all the little icons on my desktop and my wallpaper was the same 90% of my apps needed to be reinstalled. Heck even my login password had changed from the password on 7 to my windows live password. Also don't try and hide the file system. I use it. I need more than just a icon or a box for my apps.

The only thing I do like is the new task manager, but it still requires a extra click to get from the dumbed down version to the useful one. The default screen only shows what is in your taskbar which I can see anyway without opening it. For the mainstream user this might be a nice OS, but I'll be holding on to Windows 7 for a while unless the UI gets a vast improvement before launch.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,624
Points 103,930
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 7:57 PM

I like the graphics display when you're downloading files. It shows where you are in the process and also the speed that it's going in a graph display.

The Metro UI is not for me either.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I still like my download them all plugin. I will say I have not used Internet Explorer in a long time and it looks really really good in the DP.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS