SkyNET Copter Wrecks Wi-Fi Networks In Its Free Time

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,171,780
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Sep 11 2011 8:49 PM
Well, this thing just looks...frightening! And in more ways than one. Parrot's stable of robo-copters aren't anything new at this point. The company has already shocked the tech/toy world with their first flying objects, but now, the SkyNET is taking things to a new level. And yes, it's really called SkyNET. Straight out of Arnold's Terminator realm, this do-it-yourself robotic helicopter is reportedly cheap to build and easy to operate. But it's more than just a toy. It's a potential threat to your home Wi-Fi network, which makes it all the more interesting.

The device is part helicopter and part technological breakthrough, and it can be configured to hover around and wreck wireless networks. Yes, we suspect the government is intrigued by the idea. The SkyNET can be controlled via a drone console, making it harder to track down. Here's the story: "To catch the bad guy you'd have to figure out that a drone is involved, spot the drone, and follow it back to its owner (assuming the black hat goes to pick it up). Either that or catch it and do a full-blown forensic investigation to figure out who made it." Pretty wild stuff.

As of now, it's just a prototype. It's built on the company's AR Drone quadrocopter core, and it's modified with a Linux computer, 3G card, GPS module and two Wi-Fi cards. One of those is used for control, while the other is used for attacking. Nefarious? Maybe. But wildly cool for the technologically inclined. Reportedly, the entire device can be made for around $600, with the copter itself readily available for $300. We have folks at the Stevens Institute of Technology to thank for this, and we can only wait to hear what kind of real-world usage models they see for this thing. This may very well be the most polarizing toy since the Razer Scooter.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,466
Points 46,975
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sun, Sep 11 2011 11:11 PM

That pesky 'copter couldn't take down my Internet if I had one of those fancy new powerline adapters...or could it? It would be great if HotHardware did a powerline adapter review!!!Wink

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,543
Points 54,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 8:16 AM

First, good to see you around again SD! :) And I've been thinking about lining-up a round-up of these kits. We'll see what we can do!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 9:30 AM

That thing looks wicked sweet, the ability to wreck wi-fi networks will prove to be one of the greatest nerd wet dreams in history.

And thank you Dave for looking into reviewing one of these babies.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 165
sweenjm replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 11:12 AM

"To catch the bad guy you'd have to figure out that a drone is involved, spot the drone, and follow it back to its owner (assuming the black hat goes to pick it up). Either that or catch it and do a full-blown forensic investigation to figure out who made it." ????????

yeah right, shotgun FTW!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 165
sweenjm replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 11:33 AM

besides, wifi is for grandma's and mac users.........real nerds still got cables runnin everywhere, i know i do

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,780
Points 40,565
Inspector replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:56 PM

Wow, i would love to have one jsut to mess around, not wreck havoc but :D. FUN :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Nice... that means this thing could be adapted to wreck other frequencies as well. I wonder what the range on something like this might have.

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 145

Hahahaha sounds like it could be a lot of fun to wreak havoc on the neighbors :P

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 509
Points 3,965
jonation replied on Tue, Sep 13 2011 1:56 AM

i love technology. this one of those awesomely-bad things. that looks like some fun.

CPU: e6400 @ 3.2 (H-50'd)
MB: MSI p6n
RAM: 4G adata
GPU: GTS-450 and 8800GTS for Physx
HDD: WD 500G Black
PSU: 620W Corsair  Mod.
Case: 900-2 with 7 cathodes and AP-15s

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS