Lenovo Expects to Kick Dell's Ass in PC Sales by End of the Year

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,187
Points 1,186,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 9 2011 1:36 PM
Could there be a better way to end the work week than with a little smack talk? Well, sure, the problem is most of the ideas we can come up with are illegal or immoral, many of them both. Instead, we'll go into the weekend relishing in the fact that Lenovo's big mouth is writing a check it will attempt to cash against Dell.

Lenovo didn't go all Jen Hsun-Huang on Dell and promise to open a can of whoop-ass like the Nvidia CEO once famously said his company would do in its fight with Intel. But Lenovo chairman Liu Chuanzhi did tell the Chinese media it expects to leapfrog over Dell to become the world's second largest PC vendor by the end of 2011, according to Network World.

Here's looking at you, Dell...

Dell has been as giddy as a school girl on prom night ever since HP announced it wants out of the PC business, and the fact of the matter is Lenovo didn't need to use colorful language to make headlines, it just needed to say it would overtake Dell by the end of the year. Lenovo justified its prediction by pointing out it's currently the fastest growing PC company out of the top five players, and doesn't trail Dell by much. Here's how the market share numbers currently shake out:
  1. Hewlett-Packard: 18.1 percent
  2. Dell: 12.9 percent
  3. Lenovo: 12.2 percent
Lenovo is relatively new to the No. 3 spot, having overtaken Acer last quarter. If Lenovo manages to squeeze ahead of Dell, there's reason to believe Lenovo could be on its way to the No. 1 spot with HP's future very much in question at this point.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Hopefully alot of those Lenovo machines will use AMD Fusion chips.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65
Obsurd replied on Fri, Sep 9 2011 1:58 PM

im really happy now im a big fan of lenovo considering its was my first comp that lasted me 3 years, only upgraded cause it was free lulz. when Win 8 is released ill be getting a think pad :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

'ROFL, LMFAO"

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I hate dell, I've always chosen hp out of those two. I look forward to Lenovo stepping up! Maybe then dell will make some decent products other than their ultrasharps. Although I don't see hp going anywhere, if it is spun off I still see them retaining a top spot.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Sep 9 2011 7:05 PM

HP, I don't have much of an opinion about, Dell; they're alright, Levono, yes, a thousand times yes.

They seem to be the ones making good quality premium computers that have a lot of features, that people can easily use and that last for a long time. I have an IBM ThinkPad T42p and aside from having to replace the thermal paste and needing a memory upgrade, it has worked really, really well since it was first made in 2003; hell, even the hard drive still works... Shame they sold it to us on the cheap, that thing is worth a whole lot more.

If what I said above doesn't convince you than what will? I think that I can easily see Levono outjumping Acer, why? Because Acer is transitioning to the Apple department and well that isn't working out well for them, plus the poor brand stigma associated with Acer, that being cheap and unreliable, something they are trying to fix. But for the moment, Acer has a big battle with Levono coming up and trust me, it's going to be one hell of a battle that 65% will predict that Levono will win,

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator

I think that Acer will put up one hell of a fight for first place. Lenovo does mean quality Laptops, but so does Acer these days. Lenovo is still the 'high price' leader too.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Hmm... this is an interesting thing for them to be saying they are certainly growing fast and making quality machines. But when we can get Dell machines for 2/3 the price with a 3 year warranty on them. Then every 3 years recycle them and bring in new equipment in the schools I work in. This simple observation in my experience points to the fact that they will not be able to meet Dell's price point. Plus government and education are more concerned about cost than quality from what I have seen.

Glad to seem them growing through I love all the thinkpad machine I have used.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,654
Points 29,000
Drago replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 8:44 PM

If Lenovo and Acer would stop putting their crapware on their computers they might stand a chance against Dell. That is one thing Dell still does that is great, give you a computer where you dont have to uninstall 2 dozen pieces of crap that came with the new machine. Acer's crapware has caused me more grief on corporate networks and once that crapware is gone everything magically works the way it is supposed to. I hate having to tell customers that their problem was the junk that shipped with their machine that is now causing problems.

A+ Certified PC Repair Technician
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems

DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB Dead.......Replacement  Abit KV-85
Learn more about Comp TIA A+ Certification.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Drago:

If Lenovo and Acer would stop putting their crapware on their computers they might stand a chance against Dell. That is one thing Dell still does that is great, give you a computer where you dont have to uninstall 2 dozen pieces of crap that came with the new machine. Acer's crapware has caused me more grief on corporate networks and once that crapware is gone everything magically works the way it is supposed to. I hate having to tell customers that their problem was the junk that shipped with their machine that is now causing problems.

I share your pain with the crapware.... Dell still puts plenty on consumer grade machines though I have not had that same experience with the business class machines that we purchase at my job.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS