Sony Announces Personal 3D Viewer

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,334
Points 1,191,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 8 2011 11:07 AM

Sony introduced a new personal 3D viewer that is designed to offer users an "immersive 3D/HD viewing experience." The new HMZ-T1 features two 0.7-inch Ultra-Small High Definition Color OLED Panels. After slipping the device onto your head, you'll see a viewing experience that's similar to watching video on a large screen that is approximately 150-inches from 12-feet away. The device uses a dual panel 3D method to display an independent HD picture to each eye. The Personal 3D Viewer will be available in November for about $799.

SONY INTRODUCES THE WORLDS FIRST PERSONAL 3D VIEWER

Equipped With Twin OLED Panels- Head-Mounted Display Delivers Immersive 3D/HD Viewing Experience

INDIANAPOLIS, Sept. 7, 2011 (CEDIA Booth #1803) - Sony Electronics today announced the launch of HMZ-T1, Personal 3D Viewer. The head mounted display is a device that offers a one of a kind style viewing of both 2D and 3D content. Simply slip the device onto your head to experience the movie theater-like virtual screen and surround sound.

Equipped with two newly-developed 0.7-inch (diagonal) Ultra-Small High Definition Color OLED Panels, the Personal 3D Viewer leverages Sony’s expertise in both OLED display and semiconductor drive technologies. The HMZ-T1 achieves HD picture (1280 x 720) quality that makes full use of the OLED display’s high contrast, wide color gamut, and fast refresh rate. In addition, the device adopts the dual panel 3D method which displays an independent HD picture to each eye in order to achieve a more natural 3D image. The viewer enjoys a bright 3D picture that is crosstalk-free.

Viewers enjoy an immersive experience which is similar to watching video on a large screen approximating 150-inches from 12-feet away (750-inch virtual screen, virtual viewing distance approximately 65-feet away). Sony has also adapted its original virtual surround signal processing technology to deliver powerful acoustical equivalent of a 5.1 channel surround-sound system.

Sony is the leader in bringing 3D to the home. From the ‘Lens to the Living Room’ - professional production technology to home viewing on 3D BRAVIA® HDTVs- Sony 3D gear sets the standard. This year, 3D got personal with the delivery of VAIO models and PlayStation®3 3D titles. Handycam® and Cybershot® cameras are also capable of capturing and playing back 3D memories. Now, the HMZ-T1 brings a whole new concept to 3D viewing, further expanding Sony’s 3D world.

The Personal 3D Viewer will be arriving in the Unites States in November and is priced around $799.

• | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Personal 3D?! That's awesome, but it may get a little weird when it comes to gaming.. I don't know if I'd like *that* intense of a gaming experience. :D

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
LTenorio replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 12:30 PM

I'd read about this on another online article, Cnet or PopSci... Either way this would be very interesting to try out although it does look a little cumbersome for the casual TV viewer or gamer. Hardcore PC gamers would enjoy this as it forces "full immersion" of the user into the gaming environment. This is similar to how some gamers would don "ear cans" to cancel out sounds around them and really put them in the game.

Great job Sony, can't wait to try it out if anything

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 80
BTate replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 3:03 PM

Personal 3D? Now will it let me plug it into my computer for some 3D gaming and movie watching or does it only work with Sony products?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

this sounds real cool, but im not into 3D. Also be careful where u use this lol. may cause major injuries...

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"This is especially great for racing games, maybe too much for FPS, who know, everyone that have tried it out love its. I hope to get a Heads On experience as well. Imagine playing Rage with this thing or Dead Island, that be something or Jet Combat in Battlefield 3, me want"

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 7:36 PM

When others released their VR headsets and immersion technology. Sony was the only one to release one in 3D; and if it works on other systems other than the PS3 then imagine the possibilities. I mean seriously, imagine playing GTA IV or Crysis or even Battlefield Bad Company 2 on this thing.

Next up: 3D plus Eyefinity/NV Surround.

Also I'm going to wait for reviews, still; this sounds too good to be true!

EDIT: Just realized it has two OLED screens. That just makes it even more better, I mean that thing has the best of CRT's and LCD's all in one. I mean a very high contrast ratio, deep blacks, white whites, lots of detail. That's why I'm hoping it works on the PC, I mean on the PC we can have high-resolution textures, higher resolutions and better graphics; and just imagine seeing all of that through the Sony 3D device.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

The look of this reminds me of the virtual reality games that I used to play occasionally at the mall. You would put on a headset similar to this and you could look around the room and walk through an area simply by moving your feet. It was a pretty neat experience.

I would have to imagine that this type of headset would provide an ultimate 3D experience. But that price ouch, I certainly do not have that kind of dough to be shelling out on a one person unit.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

omegadraco:
The look of this reminds me of the virtual reality games that I used to play occasionally at the mall. You would put on a headset similar to this and you could look around the room and walk through an area simply by moving your feet. It was a pretty neat experience.

"I think that Nintendo can (should)  implement that with its next generation Wii U along with a similar head set. After all, they did come out with the Virtual Boy. It was too pricey at the time, but today its can be done and it can be affordable too. Also , look at the 3DS, Nintendo can do a 3D headset nicely along with their gyroscope / accelerometer technology, they can take what Sony did with this model and take it to the next level."

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 145

I'd really like to try something like this out. In theory sounds like a lot of fun, but would just have to see the quality with my own eyes to truly trust it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,682
Points 104,315
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 10:33 PM

TaylorKarras:
Also I'm going to wait for reviews, still; this sounds too good to be true!

There you go,....wait for the reviews. $800.00 is far too much to invest in something that has issues. (if it does have issues)

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,375
Manduh replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 11:59 AM

This would be so much fun, for short term use! I know a few people who, on their days off, will play games for hours, I would imagine after using it for a while your eyes might have a hard time adjusting to the real world.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 10:03 PM

Seems fishy. I'm sure it sort of works but not in the quality that people would want.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 130
wuliheron replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 8:16 PM

In 30 years of virtual reality headsets they still have yet to get it right. The biggest problems so far have been the vertigo caused when you move your head around and the picture doesn't keep up. Newer built in gyroscopes and whatnot help, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for technology to mature.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS