Business Software Alliance Paints Half of PC Community as Dummies or Pirates

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,368
Points 1,191,960
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 7 2011 3:03 PM
Take a look at your coworker sitting in the cubicle next to you. Is he a software pirate? Would you classify him as a nincompoop? If neither of those apply, then statistically speaking, it's you that fits into one or both of those categories. Don't go shooting the messenger, we're just paraphrasing the Business Software Alliance's annual Global Software Piracy Study.

According to the BSA's study, the commercial value of PC software piracy jumped up 14 percent around the globe in 2010 to a whopping $59 billion. That's a big figure, and so the BSA wanted to find out what was going through the minds of software pirates as they made off with billions of dollars in unlicensed code. What they found is a little bit shocking, and maybe a bit insulting, depending on your perspective.

Source: Business Software Alliance

Getting back to the questions we posed above, the BSA concludes that nearly half of the world's computer population -- 47 percent -- obtain software through illegal means most of the time or all of them. At the same time, 71 percent of PC users say they support intellectual property rights. So why the discrepancy? Ignorance.

"Many of the world's software pirates may not even realize they are breaking the law and betraying their own principles, which underscores the importance of concerted public-education and enforcement campaigns," the BSA wrote in a blog post.

The BSA's findings come from a somewhat large sample size, too. Whereas some studies draw conclusions based on just dozens or even a few hundred survey respondents, the BSA pinged around 15,000 people in-person and via online surveys.

Most software pirates reside in China, according to the study, which showed the pirate population to be at 42 percent. Based on this plenty of other statistics (PDF), the BSA says "the survey data paint a statistical portrait of today’s archetypal software pirate: He is likely to be an 18- to 34-year-old man who lives in China, works at a company with less than 100 employees, and uses a computer in his job. In his attitudes and behaviors toward intellectual property rights and software, he is a walking contradiction, supporting IP principles and preferring legal software in theory, yet getting most of his software illegally because he doesn’t understand what’s okay and what isn’t. He also appears to be affected by his surroundings. For example, he believes software piracy is commonplace, and he thinks it is unlikely people who steal software will be caught."

Thoughts?
  • | Post Points: 110
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Thoughts? If you're enjoying a consumer or educational experience in a software or media, free/pirating is acceptable. If you're making money off something, however, you should be using a legitimately acquired piece of software. Don't complain people don't believe something you sell is worth the money when that amount of people don't buy it. Just like how Adobe thinks $700 for consumer personal use of their software is anywhere near a good deal.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

The "typical pirate", i.e. that 18-34 guy living in China most likely either doesn't have money to pay for software or can't legally purchase the software in the first place. I wonder, did they include questions about income of those surveyed?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,687
Points 104,340
MembershipAdministrator

Where can I get DVD Blanks like that?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 11:22 PM

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 165
sweenjm replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 12:31 PM

only 13 percent of us are real pirates? well isn't that a slap in the face.......

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 12:42 PM

I invoke my fifth amendment rights and decline to properly comment with my opinion, as I think doing so might self incriminate. :P

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,383
Points 31,080
rrplay replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 12:11 AM

hey wait a sec didn't some one just post something like this :

Cop suspended after illegally downloading movie to his squad car computer

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/cop-suspended-illegally-downloading-movie-squad-car-computer-164812864.html

in the Unusually Interesting & Startling News Thread

Edit :After all it was an Owen Wilson movie 'Hall Pass' and maybe should be included in the doughnut-pie chart for the results too.!

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS