MSI Debuts 'Dust Removal Tech' with N580GTX Lighting Xtreme Videocard

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,818
Points 1,166,680
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 6 2011 2:36 PM
It's true that heat is the enemy of all PC builders, but dust buildup is its dirty cousin, and neither are welcome guests. Prevent the latter from hanging around and you won't have to worry so much about the former, so long as your cooling scheme is up to par. To help prevent dust bunnies from finding a home in your rig, MSI recently introduced what it's calling 'Dust Removal Technology.'

MSI is implementing this technology into its videocards. Short and to the point, it's basically a fan trick that cranks the fan(s) in reverse at full speed for 30 seconds every time you power on your system. The idea is to blast away unwanted dust and debris that might be clinging to the fan blades and trying to work their way into the heatsink where they can clog airflow and lead to dangerously high temps.

The downside is that it blasts dust into your case, but then again, if the dust was sitting on your videocard's fan blades, it was in your case to begin with. What MSI is doing is trying to preserve the life of your GPU, and the company's Dust Removal Technology is making its debut on MSI's N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition graphics card.

Spec-wise, the N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition sports a 832MHz core clockspeed and 3GB of GDDR5 racing along at 4200MHz on a 384-bit bus. It has two DVI outputs, an HDMI port, and a DisplayPort. But it's the Dust Removal Technology that really sets it apart. It blows in reverse, as mentioned, and also changes color based on temps. Using MSI's Smart Temp Sensor Technology, the fan blades change from blue to white to signal high operating temps.

Other notable features include a 16 phase PWM (world's first on a GTX 580, according to MSI), independent memory support, copper MOS with 2x high current capacity, triple overvoltage and triple temp monitor, Military Class II components, and other overclocking friendly bullet points.

No word on price or availability.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I want a coors light all of the sudden :) The dust removal tech is awesome, I wish my cards had that. MSI is stepping up it's game. I love the innovation they have going on this card!

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"Awesome card, one of the best, if not the best GTX 580 ever made, that's a great feature, But does it add 30 seconds to the boot time? "

-- and also changes color based on temps. Using MSI's Smart Temp Sensor Technology, the fan blades change from blue to white to signal high operating temps.--

Drake: I want a coors light all of the sudden :)

@ Drake, LOL

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,085
Points 10,995
CDeeter replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 3:47 PM

HEHE Can you pass the bar exam?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Sounds good to me. Just be sure to clean your case often.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

dust removal is cool, but it just blows the duck back in your case then the card sucks it right back up when it turns on....

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I bet you could catch most of that dust with a well placed vacuum nozzle.

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,772
Points 40,510

i was hoping it really did remove dust lol, the way it does it will just get it all over your computer and maybe even towards your cpu cooler. One nice thing is the color changing blades :D, although i wouldn't see it in my setup it would be cool to have :D.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 6:12 PM

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble but this tech has been out for a long time and this card has also been out for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-N580GTX-Lightning-Xtreme-GeForce/dp/B00551MGXI

What would be cool is if this was implemented in every one of their Twin Frozr cards.

@Wheatley: It's not sensor technology, it's a heat changing dye that changes color when it reaches a certain temperature. Another example would be the Year Zero CD's that NiN put out, I mean if you put it into a CD drive and let it run for a while then it would change from black to transparent and reveal a secret message.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator

They should just put a mini-laser into it that burns the dust off of the heatsink and fans. *~~really~~*

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

What do you think reilneil

will one of these do the trick

http://hothardware.com/News/Wicked-Lasers-Produces-Handheld-Beamer-That-Stretches-85-Miles/

Or do we need NASA to develop some new tech for us to burn the dust up :P

Its too bad that it can't manage to blow the dust out of the back of the card outside the case so you can just clean it up off the floor every so often lol.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Sep 6 2011 10:26 PM

@realneil maybe WIckedLasers latest laser that HH posted an article on would do the trick ;)

although I doubt burning of any kind inside a computer would turn out well in the long run... haha

Although "The downside is that it blasts dust into your case", I think its easier to open up and dust your whole case a little than it is to get into the nooks and cranny's of your GPU

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,372
Points 30,960
rrplay replied on Wed, Sep 7 2011 8:24 AM

Like the Twin frozer fan design and the MSI Twin card in general.with the reverse fan spin up could help alleviate a bit of maintenance from cleaning out the gpu.it will still pull it back in unless the chassis is cleaned out. Much easier to clean out the chassis and use use better filtering if intake dust is a pita.Mesh syle cases some to mind.Instead of the laser option[that was quite the buzz yesterday] would rather invest in a room air-cleaner that would likely do a bit more to alleviate air-borne dust in the first place.

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator

I don't see the good in this idea at all. I doesn't really clean anything except for the leading edge of the fan's blades.

I'm the kind of guy that cleans the dust out of all of my PC's every 6 weeks or so. It's no problem for me to do, and when I'm done the dust is ~not inside~ the box anymore.

As for the fans changing color when they heat up,....it's not something that impresses me at all. With the card mounted in the case, you can't see them anyway. If the cooling is working properly, they should stay one color all of the time anyway,.......just saying,.......

The Twin Frozr-II dual fan design is what I do like about MSI. Mine works really well at controlling the cards temps. (GTX-560Ti)

Now,......I'd like to say that I wouldn't mind owning this card, (for it's performance) any MSI GTX-580 is gonna be a blast to have around.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

realneil:
I'm the kind of guy that cleans the dust out of all of my PC's every 6 weeks or so. It's no problem for me to do, and when I'm done the dust is ~not inside~ the box anymore.

Now that is what I call diligent maintenance. I only get to clean my PC about ever 6 months but in general that is enough for my home (no pets).

I agree even though the dust cleaning tech is somewhat of a gimmick I would not mind owning one of there cards at all the performance is good and the cooling solution works.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator

omegadraco:
Now that is what I call diligent maintenance.

I'm here all day long usually. Us retarded, I mean retired guys have time to do maintenance.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS