HP to Produce More TouchPads? Don't Call it a Comeback! (Seriously, Don't)

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,185,985
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2011 2:12 PM
It turns out all you need to do to dethrone Apple's iPad is launch a $500 tablet with modern hardware, discontinue the device, and mark it down to $99 (or $149 for the 32GB version). Hewlett Packard did exactly that and now owns the hottest selling tablet on the market, only the OEM failed to anticipate such rapid demand for a prematurely defunct device. Finding a marked down TouchPad at this point in the game is mostly an exercise in futility, and those who've been waiting for HP to receive a final shipment from one of its warehouses have been wearing out their F5 keys.

Well, we have some good news folks. If you're on the brink of giving up, don't lose hope just yet. HP has committed to manufacturing a final batch of TouchPads before moving on for good.

"Since we announced the price drop, the number of inquiries about the product and the speed at which it disappeared from inventory has been stunning. I think it’s safe to say we were pleasantly surprised by the response," HP said in a blog post. "Despite announcing an end to manufacturing webOS hardware, we have decided to produce one last run of TouchPads to meet unfulfilled demand. We don’t know exactly when these units will be available or how many we’ll get, and we can’t promise we’ll have enough for everyone. We do know that it will be at least a few weeks before you can purchase."

So there you have it. Don't call it a comeback, because it isn't. The TouchPad is still obsolete, at least in terms of active production and support. However, kudos to HP for deciding to build a few more devices, assuming the OEM doesn't jack up the price or hand them all out to internal employees.

If HP retains the $99/$149 price tag(s), we suspect the new batch will sell out just as quickly as the current models. To keep on top of the situation, add @BrynaaHP and @MarkatHP to your Twitter feed for live updates.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Points 3,710

Great find Paul I thought about getting in on one myself looks like I might get my chance.

On your mark.....get set .....................refresh.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Haha, who would not want to get their hands on a $99 dollar tablet device. Especially when HP themselves has said they are committed to continuing development on WebOS in hopes of selling it but not the touch pads themselves. Plus there are some great developers in the Android atmosphere and I have no doubt someone will manage to get a highly useable version of Android to run on this device.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Aug 31 2011 11:38 PM

They'll sell the crap out of them because it's going for the right price. It's not really an earth shattering Tablet, others are better in a lot of ways,.....but that 99 dollar price point is making it like honey is to a Bear.

If they can possibly keep it up and keep selling them for this amount, they'll change the entire Tablet market profoundly. Everyone else will have to follow suit.

All the other guys are probably choking on it as it is,........Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,940

"But how are they going to make money of them if in fact they are still going to support WebOS.?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Thu, Sep 1 2011 2:38 AM

Wheatley:

"But how are they going to make money of them if in fact they are still going to support WebOS.?

Think about it. The people were buying it initially because of the lower price but then the consumers discovered that they had a great tablet on their hands so word of mouth spread and wouldn't luck know it, HP found themselves with a goldime; well a goldmine that was short lived unless they decide to restart production on the TouchPads.

And HP can still support and make money off of WebOS by licensing it to other devices. I mean think about it, you have an OS, you own the majority of the code and it's easily usable on any device. Now if I were Levono or Toshiba I would be calling up HP just looking for a OS to put on my tablets, my printers, hell any device; and since I'm paying money to HP for the OS and since HP will probably get a cut of like every webOS device sold, plus the fact that other people will likely pay up too; HP will be making money off of WebOS by licensing. They'll also make some money off the TouchPads but again, it's short lived due to their decision not to manufacture more.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,651
Points 104,115
MembershipAdministrator

TaylorKarras:
Now if I were Levono or Toshiba I would be calling up HP just looking for a OS to put on my tablets, my printers, hell any device;

Isn't Android free? Why pay money to HP for their iteration of an OS, when you get the newest (and fully capable) one for free? If you look around on the web, There are people who have already cracked these things and have Android running on them now.

TaylorKarras:
They'll also make some money off the TouchPads but again, it's short lived due to their decision not to manufacture more.

That's it in a nutshell, they're probably getting rid of all of the parts that they had lined up for the next manufacturing run. Parts that they had already bought, and were ~going to~ just write off as a loss, letting Uncle Sam foot the bill at Tax time.

These things flying off of the shelves at the $99.00 and $149.00 price points is saying a lot to me. People want them, and there's no doubt, (that's why they ~finally~ jumped for them so fast and furiously) but normal pricing for Tablet PC's is beyond many people's means. And for those that can afford them, the prices are beyond what they're comfortable spending in this semi-sorta-non-recession that we're in. It's a glaring truth, but the other Tablet makers are just gonna "hold out" hoping this nightmare will go away, fast. They will try to ignore the situation because they want to make all of the money that they had planned on for their Tablets. (Hint: there is a hell of a lot of profit built into these things) Last, they're hoping that we forget over time, that this HP Tablet thing ever happened, so they can continue to gouge the crap out of us.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS