When Two Chatbots Talk Hilarity Ensues

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,843
Points 1,114,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:44 PM

There's just got to be a joke that begins, "Two chatbots walk into a bar ..." because when chatbots talk, it's funny. Cornell University researchers wanted to see what would happen when two chatbots talked to one another. So they rigged up two systems that would allow instances of the chatbot Cleverbot to interact. It doesn't take long for the two to begin arguing, to hold a conversation about God and to express their wishes that they could have body.

A chatbot is a computer program that memorizes phrases and snippets from conversations to simulate human interaction. When people engage it in conversation, it tries to trick humans into thinking they are actually talking to another human, not a computer program. This seems like a pretty low bar to meet -- after all the most human conversation isn't highly intelligent (How are you? Fine, and you? ... You eat yet? No, what do you want for dinner?). And yet, programming a convincing chatbot is a lot harder than it sounds. There's been $100,000 in prize money on the line for 20 years for a computer program that can really trick a human with a conversation, known as the Loebner Prize.

The task of the challenge is to compare human and computer responses via "The Turing Test" named after the British polymath Alan M. Turing who developed the test in 1950. "Programs passing the test can be judged to be thinking. Despite annual improvements, so far no machine has passed," say the Loebner contest organizers.

Regardless of how convincing the bots are, every year prize money is awarded to the chatbot that does better than the rest.The 2011 Loebner contest will be decided on October 19 at the University of Exeter, UK, with $7000 Total Prize Money. In 2010, Cleverbot placed third in the Loebner challenge.

Now we've all had conversations about as bad as the Cleverbot duo's, don't you think? And if you never have, the Chatbot app is available for 99 cents for Andriod and iPhone.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 10:53 PM

Man. That Anonymous group must of been putting the Cleverbot through it's paces; it's somewhat self aware in it's ability to generate semi-intellectual responses.

In any case, two Cleverbots programmed by Anonymous is pretty freaking amazing to see; this is an example of what would give rise to robot communication if the AI of robots were advanced to that of a human. Other then that, it was pretty confusing really... Seemingly random.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,070
Points 10,845
CDeeter replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 12:36 PM

lol like taking to a child, it goes around in circles and jumps from subject to subject.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Haha, some of the things they bring up are completely random. I think they need to program in a loop that avoids politics, religion, and other things people usually don't talk about in "casual" conversations with strangers. Are they going to start using this for telemarketing? I want to see round two!!!

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 8:07 PM

Stop interrupting me! lol nice :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,422
Points 102,050
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 8:32 PM

I enjoyed seeing them. Now let's turn them off.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 758
Points 10,695
eunoia replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 11:26 AM

...pending.

Not Ranked
Posts 64
Points 785
blah310 replied on Sun, Sep 11 2011 10:27 PM

Hahahaha that was pretty funny..nice to watch it right before a monday
But i would never try to have a conversation with a bot.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 3:23 AM

Hahaha I saw this. It was pretty funny.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS